Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2020, 05:34 PM   #111 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I suppose you can't top Piotrsko's story.
I never thought I'd ever actually meet Doc Daneeka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-13-2020, 06:34 PM   #112 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Mom's laptop seemed fast until I tried to it for more than just looking up one thing. I swear that I opened a bunch of tabs and ran Word just fine, but the CPU, RAM, and SSD were maxed out running multiple tabs in Vivaldi, one tab in Brave (The Facebook account that I use with Internet weirdos), Excel, and Zoom. I closed Excel and Brave and it calmed down, although the RAM is hovering around 88%.

Today they are taking away all kinds of cool stuff in World of Warcraft in preparation for taking away more cool stuff TBD. I had planned on staying up late making the most of still enjoying the game and had spent the last few weeks trying to build up my main character so that he could do what I wanted.

After about an hour I started falling asleep, so I decided to sell a bunch of stuff before it lost 75% of its value or something.

My latency skyrocketed and I just went to bed. Maintenance is supposed to be over around now, but I am supposed to be seeing my second client right now, with two more later.

Today was supposed to be my big day to accomplish things, having neglected almost everything yesterday. I compared the Best Buy i3 with those other laptops and then looked at Costco's Black Friday deals last year. I went to mow the front lawn, but couldn't find the extension cord.

It was still in my cordless screwdriver case, ready to build a ramp!

I mowed the front lawn, but when I went to mow the back lawn I discovered that my brother had locked the gate wrong, and I needed to partially remove a handle to unlock the gate. I mowed half of the back lawn and ran power and ethernet back to the shed for my 2:30 client. I grabbed my old laptop and went to copy my work files to a flash drive, but somehow it only has 240 MB available, and the folder is far larger.
Ah. Probably the episodes of "Big Bang Theory!" I wish that I had thought about that before!
I couldn't find my other drive, so I opened the two-pack that I bought for system backups, except it took me too long to open them, even with scissors. When I set down the other one and the package I saw the other flash drive, so I went to use it.

800 MB of random files transferred at 4 MB/s and then I could not log into Zoom. It told me that I was locked out for 30 minutes. I got on my old laptop and couldn't find Zoom. I reinstalled and logged in immediately, but it has horrible connection issues, so I borrowed Mom's laptop, and needed to close stuff just so that I could use it.

All right. The parent responded. Time to get to work!
Old 10-14-2020, 11:06 AM   #113 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
I never thought I'd ever actually meet Doc Daneeka.
You met Doc Daneeka? Helluva dream then or are we talikng songster? See you and raise you $50. I supposedly met Howard Hughes in '76 and bought him a cup of coffee, or so his personal photographer said. All I know is that one day there was a $ 100 check from RKO in my pay packet which was a weeks take home at the time.

Last edited by Piotrsko; 10-14-2020 at 11:13 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Piotrsko For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 08:36 PM   #114 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Doc Daneeka was the only guy I heard of that the AF administratively killed. You're a luckier version of his story- it doesn't sound like anyone gave orders to have you cremated on the spot if you showed up at headquarters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 10-14-2020, 09:44 PM   #115 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Oh, you meant the other https://duckduckgo.com/?q=doc+daneeka. I thought it was a pop culture reference.

I read the book sitting on my luggage at Tan Son Nhat airport.

And I met Lee Harvey Oswald's best girl, Judith Vary Baker.

Old 10-15-2020, 12:01 AM   #116 (permalink)
Not Doug

My laptop arrived! :D

I lost my message when I went to post it!

It is thicker and heavier than Mom's, without a lit keyboard, but it was $15 cheaper, and they needed to cut corners somewhere!

I am not typing everything again, I am just going to set up my stuff here, reinstall windows on my older laptop, and send it in. I still have the original box, which is nice.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:18 AM   #117 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Doc Daneeka was the only guy I heard of that the AF administratively killed. You're a luckier version of his story- it doesn't sound like anyone gave orders to have you cremated on the spot if you showed up at headquarters.
They couldn't cremate me, they officially said I wasnt physically standing in front of them, I had to be somebody else they had no orders for.
The Following User Says Thank You to Piotrsko For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (10-15-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 06:53 PM   #118 (permalink)
Not Doug

The new laptop isn't working

Of course it isn't! Everything seemed great, except that it kept going to sleep while I was trying to install a huge program. Today I tried to install Zoom for work. The download said 100%, but somehow it never finished. I ran out here to try to get it to work because I had an appointment and it froze!

One problem before it froze was the complete lack of ethernet ports!

Quote:
Wireless/Wired connectivity (WiFi 5 - 802.11 ac)
Connect to a Wireless-AC router for nearly 3x the speed, more capacity and wider coverage than Wireless-N. Backward-compatible with all other Wi-Fi networks and hotspots.
Quote:
This laptop does not include a built-in DVD/CD drive.
It mentions that, but not the rj45 port?!
There is a long list of ports that it does not have and I have never wanted to use, but on the next page it says:
Quote:
Number Of Ethernet Ports 0
I am the only one that prefers ethernet, aren't I?

Ethernet is easy, you just run a cable! I don't know why I would do that in my room, unless I finally built a loft bed, but am I setting up a permanent office in my room or the shed?

Not my room! My clients would hear my family, my family would hear my clients, and my brother would always be turning off my light!

Well, I kind of have three workspaces now.

Oh dear! Dad did that! He had printers set up in the kitchen and the living room and he had dedicated work spaces in each!

I swear that he had four printers! There were two in the kitchen!

Why were there two in the kitchen?!

Anyway, let's say that I set up the shed with a real locking door and run ethernet and electricity. I could keep my laptop out here, build a loft bed in my room with a desk, and put my desktop in there.

Then it would make sense to run ethernet to my room.

It just wouldn't be fun.

I have my old loft bed right here in the shed. I am not eager to convert a frame for a full-sized mattress into a twin XL. I designed a twin XL loft bed a while ago, but I have so many other projects!

How difficult would it be to convert this into a twin XL loft bed and desk? https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...71077516285725

Back to the Internet problem. I could buy something like this for $25: TP-Link WiFi Access Point and connect everything to it--except for my old laptop, which doesn't connect to wifi.

I would usually only connect one laptop, though, and if I need a second, I could do a hotspot. I ran inside, grabbed my old laptop, and tried to set up a hotspot, but I couldn't get it to load!

So, I ran back, and grabbed Mom's laptop.

Again.

It was slow and I hardly had anything loaded!

I think that was because Mom was logged in. After the session I found a logout option through the Task Manager, but I kept making my client wait while things loaded slowly!

I tried to load the last episode of "The Big Bang Theory" to discuss expected and unexpected behavior from a 2.5-minute clip, but Movies and TV said that it didn't have enough memory!

It loaded with Windows Media Player, though.

My client thought that we should still end at the normal time. I tried to hurry and I think that we finished in just under 45 minutes.

I had another teleclient and I have an in-person client at 1630.

Three clients in one day isn't great, but I worked three hours a week for several weeks!

My progress reports and signature sheets were due on the 10th, but I forgot that we need to write reports for in-person clients that we did not see due to coronavirus, say why we didn't see them and that all data is from the previous quarter, then copy over the last quarter's data.

I also forgot that we still need to submit signature sheets for teleclients, even though nobody signs them.

I wish that my memory were better!

A wifi access point would work, but I could order an ethernet adapter with 3 USB 3.0 ports for half the price.

Sadly, it wouldn't arrive for a week. Depressingly, that is faster than anything that I am seeing from Amazon!

Do I want anything besides USB and ethernet? I have HDMI!

Of course, all of this is predicated on getting Zoom and everything else to work!
Old 10-15-2020, 07:15 PM   #119 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Skimmed everything after the third sentence. MacOS has a Network Control Panel where you can set Sleep to Never. Mayhap your chosen OS has something similar?

Old 10-15-2020, 07:22 PM   #120 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
I prefer wired connections too.

Slim/inexpensive laptops don't include RJ45 ports anymore.

$10 on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/QGeeM-Etherne...2804033&sr=8-5

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 10-15-2020 at 07:55 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread