Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #571 (permalink)
CFECO

X-Car - '11 Homemade 2+2

Velbly1 - '17 Toyota Camery XSE
90 day: 29 mpg (US)

Velbly2 - '13 Toyota Tundra
90 day: 18.03 mpg (US)
Same in AZ.. If you build it from the ground up, it's a whole new number. Even vehicles that are considered and titled as "Salvage" can be rebuilt and assigned their own new number, as least in my experience a long time ago...70's. I did a trailer from cut up parts of a registered trailer, but used the tongue from a mobile home, which had a VIN number on "it", and MVD gave me a whole new number. That was about 5 years ago. AZ seems pretty good these days, they are allowing ATV's to be legalized for the street, and the KEI trucks can be registered as ATV's, Sooo....Mini Jap KEI trucks are starting to show up on the roads around here, and that is a good thing.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #572 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galane View Post
Registry of Motor Vehicles? Moving from California to Arizona, I never remember which state has an MVD and which has a DMV, and it seems like I am always wrong. I know that Maryland has an Administration, not a Department.

For what it is worth:
Quote:
State-by-State Guide to Kit Registration

TOUGH (mechanical inspections are more intensive and/or full emissions checks are required): Colorado, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, North Dakota, Utah

MODERATE (mechanical inspections are less involved and/or emissions checks are easier to meet): Delaware, Georgia, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Washington, D.C., West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

EASY (procedures are simple and/or no emissions checks are required): Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Nebraska, Oklahoma
Varying Rules by State
Old 01-08-2014, 03:06 PM   #573 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I don't know about other states, but in Ohio you can register a car as salvage if you are using parts of the original, then re-register the same car as a self build and it saves a lot on the inspections. When you register it as a self build you're given the option of a new VIN or transfer the old.

(At least that's how it was a few years ago, but things may have changed.)
Old 01-15-2014, 07:12 PM   #574 (permalink)
CFECO

X-Car - '11 Homemade 2+2

CarBEN Progress...

"Also, does anyone have experience with transferring a VIN from a old car to a newly built one?"

Neil, how is your project coming, we have not heard the result of the snow issue?
Old 01-15-2014, 10:06 PM   #575 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
CarBEN is safely stowed in my small garage until spring. I will be traveling to a friend's garage to look at Saab 900 front suspensions, and also Civic rear suspensions, and I am working full time earning money to renovate and expand the garage; so I'll have room to work. Also, I will be buying fiberglass fabric, and possibly Kevlar for the underside to protect the battery.

Repairs will start when it is warm enough for glue to dry promptly. I am glad you asked, and I will post as things happen.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (01-27-2014), CFECO (01-15-2014), Xist (01-16-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 10:13 PM   #576 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFECO View Post
"Also, does anyone have experience with transferring a VIN from a old car to a newly built one?"

Neil, how is your project coming, we have not heard the result of the snow issue?
Not sure about transferring a VIN from one vehicle to another. I doubt it would wash in Virignia. Every vehicle made in recent years has numerous VIN numbers all over the vehicle. Some are in places not normally known. A good example was the VIN on the rental truck that was blown up in the World Trade center before 9/11. That VIN number was on the rear axle.

My project will have a new VIN number issued by the Va State Police and the DMV, since the frame is scratch built. The front axle is a 71 VW and the rear is a Harley. I never considered using the VIN number from either of the donors, since the frame is the basis of identification, althout it is certainly not the only source as the WTC example shows clearly.

regards
Mech
Old 01-15-2014, 10:28 PM   #577 (permalink)
CFECO

X-Car - '11 Homemade 2+2

Sounds good Neil!
Old 01-25-2014, 10:32 PM   #578 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
I traveled up to Keene NH today and I decided to buy a 1993 Saab 900 as a parts donor car. A friend has his shop up there and he was able to spend a lot of time with me going over lots of possibilities. He was quite generous and sold it for a scrap price of just $300.

It will be providing the front suspension, brakes, and drive shafts, and also probably the rear suspension. Also, possibly the steering wheel with airbag, and likely other useful bits like power lock solenoids, heated seat elements, wheels, etc.

The rear suspension is quite compact, and the trick will be to locate the beam axle which is needed to control the toe, etc. I will need to get the steering rack out of a '94 or newer, as it is single ended, so I can shift it into a position where the steering column is centered. This '93 model has a much longer rack unit with the steering linkage at each end. They are available for $40-50 locally.

I will possibly be cutting out large pieces of the front inner fenders that can be attached to the CarBEN chassis with the geometry intact. The distance between the outputs on the differential is about 10" - which is about half of the width of the electric motor and differential I'm considering, and the front track on CarBEN is 4-5" narrower that the 900. The drive shafts are pretty long and the each have ~9" so in theory, they have enough length to be shortened, though obviously that may limit the suspension travel.

Unfortunately, the differential is in the same case as the transmission, so no way to just put an electric motor directly on the differential.

I'll tow it home in the spring, with my brother's Tacoma and a cradle trailer.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (01-27-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 12:49 PM   #579 (permalink)
Too busy for gas stations

Turtle - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 67.09 mpg (US)

Rolla - '10 Toyota Corolla Le

Beast - '91 Chevy V2500

Bus - '01 VW Eurovan MV

Speed - '93 Harley bored and storked Harley w/ turbo/ nitrous
90 day: 53.09 mpg (US)

Cal - '68 Ford Mustang GT/CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFECO View Post

Transfer is easier, since its in the system. Also it makes insurance much easier.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:04 PM   #580 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Leaf - '11 Nissan Leaf SL

Tesla - '19 Tesla Model 3 SR

BMW - '14 BMW i3 REX

TSLA - '13 Tesla Model S 85
Neil, did you get one of those Renault Battery packs from EVTV. 25kWh Leaf battery pack essentially, with peltier cooling when charging for $3600. The flat "cans" would fit nicely in the floor of the CarBen.

Reply  Post New Thread