Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2014, 11:53 AM   #661 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
I will have to look at the kingpins to see if that is possible.

After skimming through the thread on the Toyota MGR unit, it seems like the biggest hurdle is the controller. But the cost is next to nothing, and it looks like it is much easier to fit into the chassis, so I will have to see if I can find one; hopefully with the cabling and connectors.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-20-2014, 01:35 PM   #662 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
I'm happy to help.

You'll see in the thread (and based on it's title) that e*clipse intends to push it beyond 50kw. And there is a trailer towing/South Korean option that adds oil cooling.

If you get one try to get the crossbar with rubber bushings that connects the front mounts to the subframe.

As for the controller, I hope to use Paul Holmes Open Revolt controller (so I can write that on the vehicle in big letters); or else the GEVCU from EVTV: http://store.evtv.me/

stankoprowski -- if you switch the steering arms the Ackermann effect is backward. It would be necessary to heat and bend the arms to correct it. Then it would be necessary to re-temper the whole part.

It's bad news when the arm breaks in operation.

Last edited by freebeard; 12-20-2014 at 01:43 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
stankoprowski (12-21-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 03:51 PM   #663 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Leaf - '11 Nissan Leaf SL

Tesla - '19 Tesla Model 3 SR

BMW - '14 BMW i3 REX

TSLA - '13 Tesla Model S 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
As for the controller, I hope to use Paul Holmes Open Revolt controller (so I can write that on the vehicle in big letters); or else the GEVCU from EVTV: EVTV Motor Verks Store
GEVCU is not a controller. It can send commands to a controller, but you still need to have a controller with the power electronics.

A controller is going to be the biggest issue with the MGR. I'd not recommend its use in CarBEN until someone proves they can get the MGR turning with a controller.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #664 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Team Nissan

TEAM VW AUDI Group
The Saab kingpins are cast iron, I think. So, no heating and bending.

Are there dimensions of the Toyota MGR unit available?

Is this the unit - with it's controller?

Is the controller also available?

Last edited by NeilBlanchard; 12-20-2014 at 04:54 PM..
Old 12-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #665 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

BMW - '14 BMW i3 REX

That is a picture of the BMW i3 BEV version. You can probably get ahold of one of these from a salvage yard, but not sure if you will be able to control it via canbus unless someone hacks the can commands. I know there are folks working on hacking the LEAF can commands, but I don't follow the i3 close enough to know.
The Following User Says Thank You to palmer_md For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (12-21-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 09:32 PM   #666 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Toyota/Lexus part is integrated into the Hybrid Synergy Drive system. Three big orange cables in and two driveshafts and a temperature sensor out. I thought the dimensions were in the thread, but a quick scan didn't turn them up. It's about 12x12x18". A link to this pic appeared in the thread but I don't think it was posted.

TRANSAXLE ASSY, HYBRID VEHICLE. Fits: 2006 LEXUS RX400 | Lexus of South Atlanta Parts

I have one. If you want specific dimensions I could get them (in a week). Bolt circle on the axle flange is 4", the rotor is ~5 1/2".

palmer_md -- I mentioned the GEVCU as an alternative. It stands for General Electric Vehicle Control Unit. I haven't looked at it that closely. Those folk have a lot of interesting pieces—they're working on a CANBus sniffer; and have EVIC (Electric Vehicle Interface Controller), a 5x7" touchscreen that talks to CANBus.

Do you know any other candidate controller/inverter?

What I want out of a LEAF is the 3.3kW Lear charger.
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 01:10 AM   #667 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

BMW - '14 BMW i3 REX

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

palmer_md -- I mentioned the GEVCU as an alternative. It stands for General Electric Vehicle Control Unit. I haven't looked at it that closely. Those folk have a lot of interesting pieces—they're working on a CANBus sniffer; and have EVIC (Electric Vehicle Interface Controller), a 5x7" touchscreen that talks to CANBus.

Do you know any other candidate controller/inverter?

What I want out of a LEAF is the 3.3kW Lear charger.
Yes, I understand what GEVCU is since I have one. It is just a microprocessor with some 12v i/o and two canbus ports. It can be used to control just about anything on a car, but it is not a controller. It can be used to give canbus commands to a controller. The one it is most often associated with is the Azure Dynamics controller that was in the eTransitConnect. It can also be used with the UQM powerphase controller that was in the Coda EV, and with the ScottDrive controller. All of these can be found at EVTV and EVWest. The UQM unit from the Coda with the eGearDrive gearbox might be a good solution for CarBEN. They are a much narrower setup than the Azure system. The Scott Drive can be matched to either motor, but is less proven. It if were me I'd be looking at the UQM motor and controller with the eGeardrive gearbox and use the GEVCU to provide canbus commands. It is a system that has been proven to work for the DIY community. Well the drivetrain is exactly what was in the Coda, except we replace their proprietary VCU with the GEVCU.

Leaf does not have a Lear charger, it is from Nichicon. It has been hacked but not ported to the GEVCU yet, but the Lear charger that is from the Volt has been hacked and ported to the GEVCU. The Lear charger from the Coda is the same hardware but has a different CANbus structure and it is currently getting hacked and will soon be ported to GEVCU.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to palmer_md For This Useful Post:
freebeard (12-21-2014), NeilBlanchard (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #668 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Team Nissan

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Thanks for that exploded drawing image - that shows the yoke you mentioned, and seeing what it looks like is very helpful. I am going to start looking for one of these Toyota units.

Does the Borg-Warner eGearDrive have a differential?

Old 12-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #669 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

BMW - '14 BMW i3 REX

yes it has a differential. Here is a nice teardown showing the inside differential and gears.

Borg Warner Egeardrive 31-03 8.28/1 - Page 3 - DIY Electric Car Forums

There are several gear choices available (all single speed), but most of them are 8.28:1 or 6.54:1 depending on whether it came from a Coda (6.54) or Azure (8.28) setup.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #670 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmer_md
Yes, I understand what GEVCU is since I have one.
Cool. In use, or on a shelf?

I've been reading between the lines on the EVTV episodes, trying to figure out what they're on about. The latest episode is up and they said something that suggested equivalence between the GEVCU, the JLD 404/505 and the EVIC. I've been avoiding their store because I'd probably be bummed out by the prices.

Quote:
Leaf does not have a Lear charger, it is from Nichicon.
You are correct of course: the Coda used two Lear chargers, right? This is a whole new knowledge base for me. 36hp VW stuff doesn't translate over.

Quote:
Does the Borg-Warner eGearDrive have a differential?
It appears to me to be equivalent to the Toyo MGR minus the motor, plus [some] choice of gear ratio. Price is in the vicinity of $1800. The MGR is available on eBay for ~$2300 new.

Reply  Post New Thread