Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2010, 09:54 PM   #101 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Exploder - '02 Ford Explorer xlt

Rolla - '02 Toyota Corolla ce
Team Toyota
90 day: 44.43 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob View Post
If I track down my sources, do you promise to change your mind?
No promises, but it's possible. I'd give it the a higher probability than my providing facts to you would change your mind. I do my best to use logic... I do not presume to be perfect or have all the facts though. I am hard-headed, not empty-headed.

Edit: Found the University of Kansas study. Let me look at it.

Last edited by chuckm; 03-05-2010 at 10:10 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-05-2010, 10:11 PM   #102 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
I just googled on "GM soya yield" and "Mercola HFCS" and got lots of promising hits. Take your pick and let us know, OK?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:36 PM   #103 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee
Because many formally very nice spots, are now less nice.

In MN, I was in the boonies. The breeders even found my hiding spot there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I did that, more than once. The sprawl followed me. (And the people already living in the boonies I moved to thought _I_ was the sprawl :-() Now where do I move to, considering that I don't have the few million it would take to buy a decent place in say Montana or Wyoming these days?
Living on the outskirts of a developed area then complaining when development continues doesn't strike me as living in the boonies. If you two were both really in the boonies then y'all shouldn't have to worry about development.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:38 PM   #104 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
That doesn't address the question.
What question? You made some statement about being able to quantify a qualifier...
Old 03-05-2010, 11:42 PM   #105 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
Living on the outskirts of a developed area then complaining when development continues doesn't strike me as living in the boonies. If you two were both really in the boonies then y'all shouldn't have to worry about development.
You realize that development isn't subject to proximity to previous development, right?

There is nothing to say that someday, someone won't buy the plot of land right next to yours, and sell it to some company looking to build a small town in the area for some reason or another.

So far, it's failed, but there were "city folk" trying to buy up pieces of land around here to develop and divide them into "usable sub-plots". Until recently, the addresses here were still rural. They're ES-type addresses now (street addresses, even though some of the mail boxes are 1/4 mile or more from the houses they belong to, on a completely different road.).

A friend of mine bought property on a private island near Florida to get away from "advancement". I never see him anymore, and don't even know if he's alive. But at least he won't have to worry about "development" anymore.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:44 PM   #106 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...even an exponential "curve" can be viewed as being linear...if you expand the timescale enough (wink,wink)!
You mean contract, right? The larger the scale is the more parabolic an exponential curve looks. If someone looks at a small section where the range is sufficiently restricted, like the left portion of this curve, then it could look linear.

Anyway, the whole deal w/ exponential growth is that the increase over whatever interval will always be greater than the increase over a previous interval, ie growth can't slow down, which is the opposite of what population is doing.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:46 PM   #107 (permalink)

Quote:
You mean contract, right? The larger the scale is the more parabolic an exponential curve looks. If someone looks at a small section where the range is sufficiently restricted, like the left portion of this curve, then it could look linear.

Anyway, the whole deal w/ exponential growth is that the increase over whatever interval will always be greater than the increase over a previous interval, ie growth can't slow down, which is the opposite of what population is doing.
Doesn't exponential just mean that X is happening at the rate of some exponent?

That would mean that ANYTHING could be qualified as exponential, because exponents don't need to be integers, nor do they need to be logical numbers.

I.E. an exponent can be a fraction, percent, etc.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:53 PM   #108 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
You realize that development isn't subject to proximity to previous development, right?
AFAIK the vast majority of development is, barring the exception you mentioned like a company or government building a town because someone happened to pick a place in the boonies next to some sort of resource.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
There is nothing to say that someday, someone won't buy the plot of land right next to yours, and sell it to some company looking to build a small town in the area for some reason or another.
Sure there is. Find someplace that's really in the boonies. If someone is a hundred miles away from even a small town w/ a few hundred people, preferably a ghost town w/ fewer people, that's either stable or contracting, then that probably won't be an issue. If they live within ~50 mies of a growing town, even if there are only a few thousand people and one grocery store, then it's way more likely they'll see sprawl at some point in the future.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:55 PM   #109 (permalink)

Quote:
AFAIK the vast majority of development is, barring the exception you mentioned like a company or government building a town because someone happened to pick a place in the boonies next to some sort of resource.
Sure there is. Find someplace that's really in the boonies. If someone is a hundred miles away from even a small town w/ a few hundred people, preferably a ghost town w/ fewer people, that's either stable or contracting, then that probably won't be an issue. If they live within ~50 mies of a growing town, even if there are only a few thousand people and one grocery store, then it's way more likely they'll see sprawl at some point in the future.
That's a little more clear, now.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:03 AM   #110 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
So where exactly is the hypocrisy here? It would only be hypocritical if I claimed to believe in some form of extreme egalitarianism, which I don't. I just want the rest of the world to quit crapping on my space.
If your pile of poo is 30 times bigger (Or whatever other large difference) than the pile of the people you're complaining about, then that's where the hypocrisy is. If not, then it's valid criticism IMO.

Reply  Post New Thread