Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2008, 06:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Chrysler to shutdown for 2 weeks.

Another first.

Quote:
Chrysler, which is in a restructuring that includes trimming some vehicle lines and offering buyouts to its 44,000 U.S. hourly workers, lost $1.6 billion in 2007.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-13-2008, 06:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Yeah, I just heard too...

I'm just guessing, but there's probably a lot of dealer-stock on the lots right now -- I know rushing out to buy a new car in this market isn't too popular.

Chrysler just hasn't been the same since the DaimlerBenz merger and selloff either...

I guess it's the "Big 2-and-a-half" (...and Toyota) these days...

RH77

_
_
Old 03-13-2008, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Good riddance. Chrysler builds some real honest to goodness carbage.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Weight Reduction

4x4 - '06 Nissan Altima 2.5 Special Edition
90 day: 29.04 mpg (US)

Mom's Van - '99 Plymouth Voyager SE
90 day: 25.62 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to ankit
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Good riddance. Chrysler builds some real honest to goodness carbage.
Just went to chrysler.com and realized that nothing interesting is going on there. There is nothing there that I would but unless it was less than half off. Maybe a nicely equipped 300 for somewhere around $9000, that is if I had money. I can't believe that they still have the PT Cruiser, not even updated since it came out. I mean it has been at least 7to 8 years the same model has been out.

Now does this news include Dodge and Jeep? Because I have got to admit that Jeep has some nice new models, but I guess people are realizing that their wallets will hurt at the gas pumps with new Jeep payments + buying liquid gold at the pumps.

Dodge has some nice models also (Nitro, Ram trucks, CHALLENGER, Magnum). New car sales are supposed to be the lowest since the past 10 years so this probably won't be the beginning of the cuts.

Overall: If in the new car market, I don't see why people would be attracted to Chrysler unless there are major rebates/price breaks.

They used to have the Minivan market on lockdown, but not anymore IMO.

Quote:
Live Simply So Others Can Simply Live
-Ed Begley Jr.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Sports Cars

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit View Post
Just went to chrysler.com and realized that nothing interesting is going on there. There is nothing there that I would but unless it was less than half off. Maybe a nicely equipped 300 for somewhere around $9000, that is if I had money. I can't believe that they still have the PT Cruiser, not even updated since it came out. I mean it has been at least 7to 8 years the same model has been out.

Now does this news include Dodge and Jeep? Because I have got to admit that Jeep has some nice new models, but I guess people are realizing that their wallets will hurt at the gas pumps with new Jeep payments + buying liquid gold at the pumps.

Dodge has some nice models also (Nitro, Ram trucks, CHALLENGER, Magnum). New car sales are supposed to be the lowest since the past 10 years so this probably won't be the beginning of the cuts.

Overall: If in the new car market, I don't see why people would be attracted to Chrysler unless there are major rebates/price breaks.

They used to have the Minivan market on lockdown, but not anymore IMO.
I drove the new Avenger and it just felt wrong in so many areas -- the 4-cylinder's transmission wasn't geared for either FE or performance, and most of the car was funny looking. Fit and finish was sub-par, etc.

The Minivans are functional, but I'd rather buy an old Honda.

I've driven the PT Cruiser, "Worst Rental Award", the 300 (nice, but big, heavy and a guzzler), Magnum: discontinued (guzzler). Sebring: see Avenger. At least the Ram has the Cummins option. Then there's the copious SUVs/Trucks (and the Aspen name conjures-up images of the original rust-bucket).

Biggest mistake (lately): dumping the Neon for the Caliber.

Jeep makes a good product, especially for purpose-built use, but not hot right now for daily drivers (even the wimpy versions).

The company needs to move it or lose it quick, IMO.

RH77

_
_
Old 03-14-2008, 05:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Jeep Patriot - '07 Jeep Patriot
90 day: 25.14 mpg (US)

Beige Ford Ranger - '95 Ford Ranger XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
Biggest mistake (lately): dumping the Neon for the Caliber.
*Totally Agrees*

I think Chrysler saw the market being huge for Ford & General Motors SUVs in the late 90s, early 2000s and thought:

"I know, we'll make a killing if we make ALL our cars look aggressive and SUV-like"

Except now it's the end of the '00s, and things have changed. SUVs are beginning to have a bad aftertaste with society and our wallets. Now anything "SUV-like" is unfashionable. Whoopsies, Chrysler.

Maybe they should just do another "K" car approach again and make a bazillion tiny, ridiculously fuel-efficient, aerodynamic commuter cars for a dime a dozen with the mechanical sophistication of anvils and boat anchors.

They're good at that you know

Last edited by Peakster; 03-14-2008 at 06:53 PM..
Old 03-14-2008, 06:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Sports Cars

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
Maybe they should just do another "K" car approach again and make a bazillion tiny, ridiculously fuel-efficient, aerodynamic commuter cars for a dime a dozen with the mechanical sophistication of anvils and boat anchors.

They're good that that you know
Plus a huge economic bailout from the Gubmint, like before

RH77

EDIT: LOL @ boat anchors and anvils

_
_

Last edited by RH77; 03-14-2008 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: LOL
Reply  Post New Thread