Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #141 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder
 
UFO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,300

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Thanks: 315
Thanked 178 Times in 138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
Yah, I'll bet you're a LOT of fun to drive behind.
If you want to speed, pass. Deal with it. Actual enforcement will come with a citation.

__________________
I'm not coasting, I'm shifting slowly.
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 06-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #142 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: California
Posts: 23

InsertUniqueName - '07 Toyota Yaris sport

SaturnMPGbeater - '02 Chevy cobalt
Team Saturn
90 day: 47.82 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just to clarify something. I perfectly understand the relationship between whats written on paper and how things actually work. Everything that is being complained about on this thread are things I avoid doing.
Ill never hold up a single lane highway, i don't impede the flow of traffic, and I match the speed of traffic for my own safety.
I drive in DC and Baltimore. I wouldn't survive if I didn't do these.

The argument though is null and void because when It comes to the legality of it. Which is kind of the point of how this thread started. The hypermiller who is "usually" within the letter of the law is in the "right"(legally).

However I'm sure most of us would agree that some guy doing 45 in a 65, which is legal, and the flow of traffic is doing 75-80(like where I live) is an a$$hat. And really has no right to complain if he gets plowed over. But in the court room, he was right and the other guy was wrong. That's all I'm really trying to point out.
__________________
[url=http://ecomodder.com/forum/em-fuel-log.php?vehicleid=6311]
[img]http://ecomodder.com/forum/fe-graphs/sig6311a.png[/img][/url]

The pessimist says “The glass is half empty,” the optimist says “The glass is half full,” and the minimalist says “We’ve got about twice as much glass as we need here.”
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #143 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter
 
t vago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 1,766

The Karen-Mobile - '05 Dodge Magnum SXT
Team Dodge
90 day: 26.72 mpg (US)

Fiat Dakota - '00 Dodge Dakota SLT RWD Quad Cab
90 day: 16.67 mpg (US)

The Red Sled - '01 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD
90 day: 16.96 mpg (US)
Thanks: 799
Thanked 681 Times in 437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
If you want to speed, pass. Deal with it. Actual enforcement will come with a citation.
Oh, look, it's another self-righteous speed patroller!

Okay, what happens when it's dangerous to pass? What happens if there's no way to pass?

Every day on my way to work, I have to deal with some self-righteous piece of work, who thinks that's it's perfectly fine to do exactly the speed limit in the passing lane, and that it's perfectly alright to slow down to 50 MPH (given that the posted speed limit is 65 MPH) if they happen to see a cop, just sitting there in the median. And the other lanes are already blocked by semis and people who have the sense to stay out of the passing lane. What then?

Oh, I guess it's okay for you, huh?
__________________
The Fiat Dakota


The Karen-mobile


The Red Sled
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #144 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter
 
t vago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 1,766

The Karen-Mobile - '05 Dodge Magnum SXT
Team Dodge
90 day: 26.72 mpg (US)

Fiat Dakota - '00 Dodge Dakota SLT RWD Quad Cab
90 day: 16.67 mpg (US)

The Red Sled - '01 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD
90 day: 16.96 mpg (US)
Thanks: 799
Thanked 681 Times in 437 Posts
Oh, and before somebody else pukes up the "just plan ahead!" idea:

I don't speed because I'm late for something. I go at the prevailing traffic speed because I want to minimize the time I spend on the road. It's those speed racers I want to avoid, as well as the self-righteous types who think it's okay to piss off most of the other drivers on the highway. I also want to minimize my time spent dealing with the possible cell-phone texter, or the snaking semi, or the person who would rather hold an animated conversation with his passenger (to include Italian-style gesturing) than actually focus their attention on the road, or the person who thinks it's okay to search for that special song on their iPod that they simply must hear at that very moment, while doing 70 MPH down the highway.
__________________
The Fiat Dakota


The Karen-mobile


The Red Sled
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:14 AM   #145 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder
 
UFO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,300

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Thanks: 315
Thanked 178 Times in 138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
Oh, look, it's another self-righteous speed patroller!

Okay, what happens when it's dangerous to pass? What happens if there's no way to pass?
Then either pass or do not. Or deal with it and save some fuel in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
Every day on my way to work, I have to deal with some self-righteous piece of work, who thinks that's it's perfectly fine to do exactly the speed limit in the passing lane, and that it's perfectly alright to slow down to 50 MPH (given that the posted speed limit is 65 MPH) if they happen to see a cop, just sitting there in the median. And the other lanes are already blocked by semis and people who have the sense to stay out of the passing lane. What then?

Oh, I guess it's okay for you, huh?
More strawman arguments. Either we are talking about a single lane with me at the limit or slightly less, or me not even using the passing lane because I rarely pass anyone. But you aren't talking about me, you are talking about your mythical hypermiler who is really just another oblivious drone who happens to be slower and more cautious than you.
__________________
I'm not coasting, I'm shifting slowly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:38 AM   #146 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter
 
t vago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 1,766

The Karen-Mobile - '05 Dodge Magnum SXT
Team Dodge
90 day: 26.72 mpg (US)

Fiat Dakota - '00 Dodge Dakota SLT RWD Quad Cab
90 day: 16.67 mpg (US)

The Red Sled - '01 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD
90 day: 16.96 mpg (US)
Thanks: 799
Thanked 681 Times in 437 Posts
Speed up, step on the brakes, speed up, step on the brakes... Oh yah, that'll really save on fuel.

Alternately, I could add to the frustration of pretty much everyone else by not playing along with the "oblivious drone 'hypermiler'" and go even slower than him. No, thank you.

How about, if you can't follow the rest of the flow of traffic (if your desire to save a tablespoon of gas, over what you'd otherwise burn, makes you act like a complete and total jerk to everyone else on the same road) then get the hell off the interstate? What a novel idea!
__________________
The Fiat Dakota


The Karen-mobile


The Red Sled
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:45 AM   #147 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: n/a
Posts: 60

TBA - '07 Honda Fit
Thanks: 11
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
Speed up, step on the brakes, speed up, step on the brakes... Oh yah, that'll really save on fuel.
Actually the process would be:

Speed up
Let off the throttle
Let the engine brake
DFCO engages
Speed up
Let off the throttle
Let the engine brake
DFCO engages

And if you're going to argue that the process above isn't more efficient then we have nothing to discuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
Alternately, I could add to the frustration of pretty much everyone else by not playing along with the "oblivious drone 'hypermiler'" and go even slower than him. No, thank you.
I think we can all agree that the "oblivious drone hypermiler" should get off the road. However you haven't provided any evidence that any of the hypermilers on this forum are oblivious or drones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
How about, if you can't follow the rest of the flow of traffic (if your desire to save a tablespoon of gas, over what you'd otherwise burn, makes you act like a complete and total jerk to everyone else on the same road) then get the hell off the interstate? What a novel idea!
I just bolded the statements that weren't true. There's only so much I can do here...

Any further posts from you I will simply cite which logical fallacy you are using rather than try to type paragraphs upon paragraphs to explain why what you say is inaccurate/illogical/false.

Last edited by HilseeJ; 06-22-2012 at 02:54 AM..
  Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HilseeJ For This Useful Post:
skyking (06-22-2012), UFO (06-22-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 02:47 AM   #148 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter
 
t vago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 1,766

The Karen-Mobile - '05 Dodge Magnum SXT
Team Dodge
90 day: 26.72 mpg (US)

Fiat Dakota - '00 Dodge Dakota SLT RWD Quad Cab
90 day: 16.67 mpg (US)

The Red Sled - '01 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD
90 day: 16.96 mpg (US)
Thanks: 799
Thanked 681 Times in 437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HilseeJ View Post
Actually the process would be:

Speed up
Let off the throttle
Let the engine brake
DFCO engages
Speed up
Let off the throttle
Let the engine brake
DFCO engages
Ha! Try doing that on I-77 northbound between 3 and 4 PM!

My situation, like everyone else's, is unique. Don't assume that, just because something works for you in your neck of the woods, that it'll work the same for mine.
__________________
The Fiat Dakota


The Karen-mobile


The Red Sled
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:11 AM   #149 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: n/a
Posts: 60

TBA - '07 Honda Fit
Thanks: 11
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
Ha! Try doing that on I-77 northbound between 3 and 4 PM!
If you're stuck behind an "oblivious drone hypermiler" (of which the existence is debatable), the system I just posted is what you should be doing. Really I could delve deeper into it - that was just an example for a non-hypermiler who doesn't want to EOC/doesn't have a manual car.

And as far as "your neck of the woods," I share the same frustrations you do. I hate getting stuck behind some idiot who's doing 15 in a 40. Only I don't call them "oblivious drone hypermilers" - I call them "old people" or "people with crappy cars that need repair" or even "cell phoneys."

But these people are NOT hypermilers.

They are not using any skill they learned. They are not looking in their rear view mirror. They are not aware of their surroundings. They are NOT p&g'ing, NOT eoc'ing,NOT dwb'ing and NOT dfco'ing and the ONLY thing 2 things that would make me happy is either putting a bullet in their head or slamming my car into their rear bumper. ("Coincidentally" they would be uninsured)

Believe me, I can see where your coming from (if not only partially)
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #150 (permalink)
Rat Racer
 
Fat Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Route 16
Posts: 4,032

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,707
Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,191 Posts
So now hypermilers have gone from being smugly self-righteous pricks to being left lane vigilantes trying to enforce the speed limit? This is getting silly.

One thing that I am not is responsible for your self esteem, mood or decisions. Your right to travel at your preferred speed somehow trumps my right to do the same? I'm generally over the PSL, but generally not as much as everyone else. When I say deal with it I'm not saying I want (and have the right and duty) to block everyone, I'm saying you do your thing and I'll do mine. Just don't say I'm going too slowly when I'm really just not speeding as much as you'd like.

__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

  Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
HilseeJ (06-22-2012), skyking (06-22-2012), UFO (06-22-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com