Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2008, 09:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by modmonster View Post
can the plexi be heat bent round by 180* to form a hook to latch on to the hatchback like a cycle carrier? if so this would make for an easy mounting, may not even need the duct tape!
You can drill holes in it and attach hooks... just thinking inside the box

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-21-2008, 12:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
METROANNOSAURUS REX

The Mach .05 - '98 Chevy Metro LSi
90 day: 48.88 mpg (US)
yes, but that would add more weight because of the fasteners. I think i would be very clean if you could use the material to help with connection to the car. I think outside...

Old 10-21-2008, 12:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
If you used 2 small alumium plates bent over instead of extending the entire ridge of the plastic to be bent over you'd probably save weight AND youd have a more rebust connection to the car (plexi would shatter if it ever was bound up)
Old 10-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tracy - '00 vauxhall corsa
connection is still a problem for me. i really worry about air getting under this thing and ripping it clean off the car. to prevent this i want to bend the plexi into the hatch hinge seal and at the sides to. to do this on my car would require bending the plexi in two directions!
Old 10-24-2008, 04:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
modmonster -

Quote:
Originally Posted by modmonster View Post
connection is still a problem for me. i really worry about air getting under this thing and ripping it clean off the car. to prevent this i want to bend the plexi into the hatch hinge seal and at the sides to. to do this on my car would require bending the plexi in two directions!
Me too. If I can find the time for my Kammy, I will have some kind of layer that stops the air from sneaking under the kamm. I have "unique" problems because my hatch on my Saturn is plastic, but my roof is metal. I am thinking that I can use a flat magnet sheet on the metal roof that "bridges the gap" onto the Kamm back. The Kamm-back would have a thin metal strip epoxied onto it for the magnetic strip to adhere to. Here is a *rough* visual of what I mean.

The sides would require a different solution, but I am not too worried about them because they are very "flattish", so I know I can get a much tighter seal on them.

CarloSW2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kamm-design-01.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	1990  

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 10-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ex-lurker

Skeeter - '05 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 35.55 mpg (US)
I don't know how a sheet magnet would be for grip on the kammback. I'd have a backup plan in case testing doesn't go as planned.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

Team Saturn
i_am_socket -

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_socket View Post
I don't know how a sheet magnet would be for grip on the kammback. I'd have a backup plan in case testing doesn't go as planned.
The sheet magnet is not for adhering the kamm-back. It is only for covering the gap between the Kamm-back and the car's body.

Note: In order to lift the hatch, you would need to remove the sheet magnet to keep it from being creased and bent-up too much. This is not an ideal design, but I think it is a more secure design from the POV of keeping the air/wind out from under the Kamm.

CarloSW2

Old 10-24-2008, 07:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
METROANNOSAURUS REX

The Mach .05 - '98 Chevy Metro LSi
90 day: 48.88 mpg (US)
Is it really going to affect the aero that much? What about the sides? Can you fill it up with some foam insulating tape or rubber weather sealing? Seams like there should be an easier way that wouldn't involve removing items every time you want to open the hatch. I know I would get annoyed with it after a while and probably just leave it off.

just my .029 (I'm learning from all those gas stations how to get that extra penny out of people!)

Old 10-24-2008, 07:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

Team Saturn
FunkSkunk -

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkSkunk View Post
Is it really going to affect the aero that much? What about the sides? Can you fill it up with some foam insulating tape or rubber weather sealing? Seams like there should be an easier way that wouldn't involve removing items every time you want to open the hatch. I know I would get annoyed with it after a while and probably just leave it off.

just my .029 (I'm learning from all those gas stations how to get that extra penny out of people!)
Assuming I understand your question, I am not worried about the aero. I am addressing modmonster's concern about the air getting under it. Unlike other mods, a Kamm-back lends itself to being shaped like a wing if air gets under it. And it's angling downward, so it's also acting like a parachute in the sense that it is "capturing" the air.

I understand your PITA concern, but I also wouldn't want my work to go flying off my car and hit the fellow behind me. As part of a "v1.0" implementation, I would incorporate the magnetic sheet to be "overly cautious".

For the sides, I have a custom plan for my car that will incorporate foam tape/weather sealing just as you suggest.

CarloSW2

Old 10-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

98 Cherokee - '98 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 17.18 mpg (US)

ZX7R Ninja - '99 Kawasaki ZX7R Ninja
90 day: 42.45 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
i_am_socket -

The sheet magnet is not for adhering the kamm-back. It is only for covering the gap between the Kamm-back and the car's body.

Note: In order to lift the hatch, you would need to remove the sheet magnet to keep it from being creased and bent-up too much. This is not an ideal design, but I think it is a more secure design from the POV of keeping the air/wind out from under the Kamm.

CarloSW2
Could you use two sheets of magnetic material connected together with some sort of fabric? Making a hinge of sorts? Like the stuff they make cloth tops out of?

Adjusted for my driving habits. 80%city/20%Highway.
20mpg city/30mpg highway or bust! Check out my mods so far
Reply  Post New Thread