Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 02:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Toylet - '87 Toyota Supra 350 Chevy V8 / 700R4

In-Durrrr-Oh - '09 TMEC Enduro TMEC 200cc Enduro
90 day: 60.9 mpg (US)

Tem-poo - '86 Ford Tempo GL 4 Door 2.0 Liter Diesel 5 Speed
90 day: 47.52 mpg (US)

Ass Tick - '01 Pontiac Pontiac Aztek GT 5 Door

Green Baby Poop Stain - '01 Pontiac Aztek Aztek Base Model

Black Track - '01 Pontiac Aztek GT
Which to get? 200cc Enduro or 150cc Scooter

Got my mind wrapped around the idea of a gas saving cycle. Just can't decide on which one to get. A 200cc Enduro with road tires installed or a 150cc (maybe 250cc) scooter. Already have my motorcycle license. Whatever's bought will be licensed and titled as such. Don't want a full sized cycle. Only looking to spend @$1500. Found 2 - 3 suitable matches.

First is a 150cc scooter that is bigger and looks comfortable enough to seat 2. Top speed with 2 may only be 50-60 mph. Possibly 60-65 mph with just me at 160lbs. May need it to go faster depending on where I drive it to such as the interstate or highway. Just gas and brake, no shifting. $1595

Second is a 200cc Enduro. Has road tires on instead of nobbies. Sits up higher with taller tires and a bigger suspension. Could seat 2. Top speed with 2 people, 70-75 mph. With just me 80. Has a hand clutch and the foot gear selector. Like the idea of being able to switch gears as needed. $1500

Third is a 150cc scooter that's smaller and not as 2 person friendly. Suits me fine and I'm sure 60mph should be obtainable. Price is right at $995.

MPG is important as I'm trying to go on a gas diet. Top speed is important but not critical. Don't want to get ran over going slow. May only occationally need 60-65 mph speeds on the interstate for short distances. Most speeds will be 45-50 mph for my work commute. So, which to get? Will let you all know which I get and some pics.
VT247

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-04-2011, 07:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Toyota - '94 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.91 mpg (US)

Scooter - '06 Yamaha Majesty
90 day: 31.65 mpg (US)
Do you NEED to drive them on the freeway? If so, you probably ought to check your state`s regulations before buying any of them to see if there`s a certain engine size required for that. Laws aside, I`d say the 200 is most likely about the bottom limit for being able to keep from getting run over on an interstate. If you can possibly avoid freeways, I`d think it would be okay for two-lane highways and any of them would be plenty for most any boulevards or avenues. The speeds you listed above sound a bit optomistic to me, but I certainly could be wrong about that.

A nice benefit from scooters for transportation around town is the convenient storage sace that most have under the seat. For the most part, they also offer a bit more weather protection than equivalent "stick shift" motorcycles. Good luck with your project- you`ve got a lot better chance of comming out ahead with the bikes you`re looking at than if you were hoping to make back a several thousand Dollar purchase price by saving gas.

EDIT: BTW, I really like the names you laid on your vehicles!
Old 03-04-2011, 08:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I wouldn't go below 250cc for freeway work. Your top speeds are a bit optimistic - those might just eek out those speeds in a full tuck on level ground with no wind. You'd be lucky to be able to maintain 55mph on a 150-200 in the real world though.

I often commute on my wife's DR250SE enduro bike and I definitely wouldn't go any slower. It'll maintain 60mph all day reasonably comfortably and still has ok passing power and will run up to 75mph without straining too badly (as long as it isn't pointed up a hill or into a stiff wind), but you wouldn't want to do 75 for more than a few miles at a time. it is very smooth and efficient in the 35-50mph range.

You might also consider the ninja 250 as its faster and still quite efficient, the buell blast (quite efficent, but not the most reliable thing ever made) and all the 250-400cc range enduros. Even some 650cc enduros get quite good mpgs. A stock honda XR650L or BMW F650GS (old single cylinder models, not the new 800cc twins) will usually do 50-60mpg with normal riding.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
I'm guessing by the engine sizes and prices that you are looking at Chinese bikes. If this is true, plan to do most if not all the maintenance yourself unless you luck onto a reputable dealer that does work on these. Also check in to where you can reliably get parts, some brands are good, some iffy and some non-existant The Chinese bikes usually use Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki technology and the engines are often well made. Electrics are not quite as good as the Japanese.

I'd vote for the 200cc Dual Purpose. Mine is the Zongshen Sierra ZS200 GY-2 and I'm totally impressed with the quality of the Yamaha design motor, and everything except the electronics for the entry level bike. Parts are stocked and available from thier only warehouse in Miami, it just takes a while to get them. Yamaha engine and other parts swap right in.

My main reason for going with the larger motor is that it gives the flexibility to go longer distances at higher speeds if you want to. Additionally, 200cc on the freeway is going 90 - 100 percent of maximum. Some people reliably go cross-country on small-bore bikes it's just a matter of taking your own sweet time, and enjoying it.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
Rereading your original post you mentioned the 250cc scooter. The weather protection and built in storage bdesj mentioned about scooters is a plus. Riding more because it's more comfortable helps maximize the use of your choice.

The downside with scooters though is gearing is fixed. The Dual Purpose bikes, being chain driven, can usually be re-geared taller for improved highway performance and even better mileage. You can also always add a windshield and a rear trunk to a dual purpose bike.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Don't NEED to drive on the freeway, but I like that option. Not sure what cc requirement Indiana has for interstate travel. May be 150cc or 250cc. Leaning heavily on the 200cc Enduro. Seems priced right at $1500 and a top speed of 75 mph, 1 down, 4 up manual shift. I'd most likely only need 65 mph for short distances. Most of the time will be spent at 45-55 mph on longer stretches of roads through the country. Back and forth to work. Hope to obtain 60 mpg, anything greater will be awsome. Here is a link for specs on the TMEC 200cc Enduro.

TMEC200-1 DOT Approved, Motorcycles, TMEC200-1 - Excalibur motorsports, Your source for discount atv, atv motorsports, direct importer, off road motorcycle

Here are a few pics of the ones I looked at. First is a $1995 250cc powered scooter top speed 120 kmh. Second is almost identical to the first but only 150cc powered and priced at $1595 top speed 100 kmh, third is smaller $995. Last is the Enduro, top speed 75 mph advertised, 1 down 4 up shift, $1495.

Aaaaaaand, this is where I finished typing before 4 pm Friday. Had to run to the bank. Because I just BOUGHT THE ENDURO! Whooo hooo! Told them if they could get me out the door for $1500 I'd hand them $100 bills. Said he thought he could do that. Sure enough, less than 5 minutes later he said the deal was on. Said there was no delivery fee, subtracted the list price down to where the bike price added to the sales tax would equal $1500. Came with a Certificate of Origin to title it and sales tax slip to take to the DMV. Decided to leave it there for a few days until the rain ends. Dealer (who I also believe to be part mechanic) said he wanted to drive it before I took possession. That's fine, work out the details and any carb adjusting, alignment issues before I go with it.

I'm stoked. This thing is BRAND NEW! It's a road bike I can take on minor off road trails. Looked on the title and it claims 320 lbs for shipping. My commute to work is @25-30 miles one way. Goal is less than 1 gallon back AND forth. Most speeds will be @45-55 mph.
VT247

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdesj View Post
Do you NEED to drive them on the freeway? If so, you probably ought to check your state`s regulations before buying any of them to see if there`s a certain engine size required for that. Laws aside, I`d say the 200 is most likely about the bottom limit for being able to keep from getting run over on an interstate. If you can possibly avoid freeways, I`d think it would be okay for two-lane highways and any of them would be plenty for most any boulevards or avenues. The speeds you listed above sound a bit optomistic to me, but I certainly could be wrong about that.

A nice benefit from scooters for transportation around town is the convenient storage sace that most have under the seat. For the most part, they also offer a bit more weather protection than equivalent "stick shift" motorcycles. Good luck with your project- you`ve got a lot better chance of comming out ahead with the bikes you`re looking at than if you were hoping to make back a several thousand Dollar purchase price by saving gas.

EDIT: BTW, I really like the names you laid on your vehicles!
Old 03-04-2011, 10:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pretty cool, Vacationtime! I kind of doubt it`ll handle interstates, even briefly, but should be no problem what so ever on any other roads, and I`d be VERY surprised if you don`t meet your 60 MPG goal. If you need some cargo capacity for it, check out the top boxes from JC Whitney`s motorcycle section. They run around $50 to $60 (two sizes) and are a pretty good value. By the way, enduros with 17inch wheels and smooth tires fall into a sub category that usually goes as "supermoto" or "motard" these days. Normally have lower seat height also, which is a great tradeoff (comfort and convenience over rock clearance and long suspension travel) for mostly street use. I hope you post back when you get some rideing to let us know how it`s doing for you. Have fun!
Old 03-05-2011, 12:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Probably won't do much, if any interstate travel. But it will be used for some highway travel at 55-60 mph. Mostly lower speeds at 45-55 and around town. The dealer had boxes for sale and mounted for $45. Mounts to the rear bar. Think I'll go ahead and have him install one. Sounds like a pretty good deal. Sure I'll need and use it. Guess this one would fall into the supermoto category you speak of. Has factory 17 inch rims / tires I believe. Should be a fun bike. Plan on tracking the fuel mileage with it. May never see the $ saved in fuel economy to completely pay for the bike. But, ya never know? Resale value + gas mileage saved may = saved $ and fuel. Some of my goals are, 3-4 years of service, 15k miles without major service, 60+ mpg, resale value of at least $800-$900 when it comes time to change gears. Try and post up some good pics when it's home.
VT247

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdesj View Post
Pretty cool, Vacationtime! I kind of doubt it`ll handle interstates, even briefly, but should be no problem what so ever on any other roads, and I`d be VERY surprised if you don`t meet your 60 MPG goal. If you need some cargo capacity for it, check out the top boxes from JC Whitney`s motorcycle section. They run around $50 to $60 (two sizes) and are a pretty good value. By the way, enduros with 17inch wheels and smooth tires fall into a sub category that usually goes as "supermoto" or "motard" these days. Normally have lower seat height also, which is a great tradeoff (comfort and convenience over rock clearance and long suspension travel) for mostly street use. I hope you post back when you get some rideing to let us know how it`s doing for you. Have fun!
Old 03-05-2011, 02:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

NinFo - '09 kawasaki ninja 250R
i wouldnt buy any of that chinese crap, unless you just enjoy working on your bike all the time. for $1500 you can find a good, used ninja 250, eliminator 125, tw200, or something like that. if your going to spend the money anyway, buy something reliable, because if you dont, your going to regret ever spending it.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawboyCAFE View Post
for $1500 you can find a good, used ninja 250, eliminator 125, tw200, or something like that.
Used is usually my prefference for any big purchases also, but I believe the OP has already bought his scooter.

Vacationtime, while I`ve never had any personal experience with "China Girls", my uderstanding is that you can go a long way towards improving reliability by doing some initial checks. I`ve run into a website dedicated to various "mail-order" machines like that which gives a lot of pointers as far as what to look over after delivery. It sounds like yours will be preassembled by the distributor, but it would probably be a good idea to go over it as soon as you get your hands on it. I wish I could remember the website, but I bet you can find it (or another like it) by googling around a little bit. Or maybe somebody else can step up with a more direct link for you?

So when do you take delivery? Wishing you good weather for the maiden voyage!

Reply  Post New Thread