Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2019, 06:25 AM   #141 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.62 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophecy99 View Post

its so sad even jsut gliding to red lights people get on you, its insane, your so focused on moving (or passing me) u cant even see the red ahead.
I've noticed that, and I think it's the difference between hypermiling vs. "normal" driving.

Hypermilers necessarily rely on a larger context in order to make the most of the energy they have invested into their car's motion. Normal drivers pretty much just react to what the car in front of them is doing without considering why.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to elhigh For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (09-24-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-24-2019, 08:43 AM   #142 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 42.77 mpg (US)
I was gliding to a red light yesterday, and a truck behind me changed lanes. I hit the light at 20 MPH, and the truck was #3 in line behind somebody slow to go when the light turned green. The truck was still far behind me several miles later. I wonder if he ever figured it out.
06 Canyon: The vacuum gauge plus wheel covers helped increase summer 2015 mileage to 38.5 MPG, while summer 2016 mileage was 38.6 MPG without the wheel covers. Drove 33,021 miles 2016-2018 at 35.00 MPG.

22 Maverick: Summer 2022 burned 62.74 gallons in 3145.1 miles for 50.1 MPG. Winter 2023-2024 - 2416.7 miles, 58.66 gallons for 41 MPG.
The Following User Says Thank You to JRMichler For This Useful Post:
Xist (09-25-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 11:00 AM   #143 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
I remember ONE TIME I was gliding towards a red light and I realized the car in the other lane was doing it too (nobody else was behind us). It was no coincidence - we both arrived at a green light with momentum. One time! It felt like I was among my people! *

I was so excited, I think I made a thread about it, way back.

(* OK, plenty of drivers of big trucks do it too. Not car drivers though.)
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (09-24-2019), Xist (09-25-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 06:56 PM   #144 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMichler View Post
The truck was still far behind me several miles later. I wonder if he ever figured it out.
I saw a guy actually learn once. I was only doing 60 in a 55, so he passed me a few miles before a traffic light. When it turned green, I went by him at 40 before he even took his foot off the brake. He caught up about a mile later but didn't pass. He knew there was another light a few miles ahead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
101Volts (08-27-2020)
Old 09-25-2019, 07:06 AM   #145 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorGray View Post
Traffic lights on roads with highway speeds should be outlawed. I pull a travel trailer with an F250 pickup, and the most terrifying part of the trip is on such highways. I'm a nervous wreck when doing highway speeds knowing a red light can pop up anytime at close range, and me not having the ability to stop as quickly as might be needed.
Hitch rigging is as important as both vehicles. An equation where each is 1/3 the final product. In this case, total stopping distance.

By itself (including reaction time) the solo truck ought to be around 325’-350’ from a little above sixty mph.

Correctly hitched the distance should be reduced.

It’s data you’re after. Then, tests.

The “reason” so many pickup & trailer combos have bad braking is:

1). Pickup FF/RR weight balance still skewed towards Steer Axle as the load in the bed wasn’t significantly high enough to justify the (increased accident risk design) of a pickup.

2). Tandem-axle trailers ALSO need FF/RR weight balance optimized. AND to travel “level” according to an instrument.

3). Where a weight distribution hitch is called for (more than 350# of trailer tongue weight) it must work to design. It doesn’t in more than 90% of what’s seen on the road. A trailer with a 1,200-lb TW will — when set correctly— via leverage restore the Steer Axle to the solo weight value, and set several hundred pounds atop the Trailer axles (Cat Scale conformation).

4). Trailer tire pressures to cold maximum. Tow vehicle tire pressure according to Load.

5). Trailer bearing pre-set to spec. Drum brakes adjusted to spec.

6). A higher quality brake controller. The TUSON unit is that item. Trailer brake application MUST lead the tow vehicle in degree of relative application pressure. An algorithm-controlled trailer brake control is a wonder (as ABS and vehicle computer requirements keep us from using the old KELSEY-HAYES controller of yesteryear, or the JORDAN of the late 90’s-early 20’s).

The biggest (best) change to make is to convert the trailer to replacement DEXTER Tor-Flex axles with disc brakes. And all TUSON control components.

A). Independent suspension has far greater wheel travel. Each wheel is no longer affected by the one next to it or across the axle. It STAYS on the road where leaf won’t. Brakes won’t help when the tire is airborne. Then, it regains contact and locks (flat spotting). Rough roads, road surface camber, wet conditions all worsen this. IS just does a better job. Disc handles problems better.

B). Disc brakes have MORE THAN one application in them. In a full-on emergency stop, the drums aren’t working before the stop is completed given an initial high rate and even a road mildly descending. With disc, the heat shed is far better.

When I read that owners are concerned, I can take for granted:

— the pickup is relying on Steer Axle braking (insufficient bed load)

— the trailer is likely nose-down when cruising, and in a hard stop is reliant on two of four tires & brakes as the trailing axle has no purchase.

— one is using only two braked axles of four. Four tires with purchase versus eight. (This is before we get into relative braking ability of one tire design versus another).

MG, I have to remind myself when the trailer isn’t back there that I now have to anticipate longer stopping distances solo, though I’ve gone from 17,000-lbs to 9,000.

There’s a solution.

I haven’t gotten into using the transmission to also decrease distance. Design, type and operator confidence are factors.

Just a few years ago in order to stop a tractor trailer rig with drum brakes all around and manual transmission, one was going to plant that size 13 steel toe with everything one could put behind it while simultaneously double-clutch downshifting that 13-speed while taking engine rpm to maximum with the clutch out. Say a prayer, as the brake pedal NEVER felt the same way twice.

Today, it’s (yawn) use my big toe on the brake pedal with a fully disc brake equipped tractor and trailer while moving the engine brake selector to the maximum needed. And let the 12-AMT do its computer-controller downshifts.

The brake design is the biggest factor. The consistent performance of discs make them mandatory, IMO. Degree and duration is predictable. Never so with drums.

For a combination rig, the trailer tongue weight MUST be adequately distributed on the tow vehicle (which itself is best with about a 50/50 weight balance while solo). A fifth wheel or gooseneck hitch is mounted where the Steer Axke weight won’t change or barely increases. A conventional hitch must distribute in a 1/3-1/3-1/3 pattern (approx).

For EM purposes, the glide is much easier to maintain. Operator confidence is higher. Lower stress, thus fatigue pushed farther forward in time & miles for the day’s drive. Fine muscle control deteriorates under stress. Adrenaline murders it.

So, as with accurate shot placement, fine muscle control is the game throughout the day.

Additionally, there are other changes (not expensive) to tow vehicle handling which reduce the need for braking, as well as in degree & duration.

For a conventionally hitched trailer, a Hensley-patent WD hitch (guaranteed no sway) is the other big improvement past disc. The rig is MUCH more predictable as the trailer is no longer CONSTANTLY hunting from side to side (and they all do). It’s described as an oscillation to help in seeing it.

I can tell a hitch of this type is in use from well more than a mile back as I overtake. Once one knows what to look for, it’s obvious.

Given the high rollover propensity of a pickup, I consider it mandatory for that tow vehicle.

The direct EM benefit is lower HP demand at highway speed. The trailer is LOCKED to the tow vehicle. They stay in constant alignment with one another. Passing big trucks or wind gusts doesn’t change this. Far fewer steering corrections are needed (which both Kenworth and Cummins cite as measurable effects on FE per 100-miles).

In short, that which reduces or eliminates Vehicle Control Input Degree and Duration (steering or handling or braking) is a direct FE benefit, not just reduced risk operation.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:43 AM   #146 (permalink)
Banned

Team Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorGray View Post
Traffic lights on roads with highway speeds should be outlawed. I pull a travel trailer with an F250 pickup, and the most terrifying part of the trip is on such highways. I'm a nervous wreck when doing highway speeds knowing a red light can pop up anytime at close range, and me not having the ability to stop as quickly as might be needed.
Now, to traffic lights on highways. That state, along with rural land use, is the predictor.

1). Proximity to metro areas along a designated truck route (wide, strong shoulders, lighting and signage) is one type.

2). The other is a narrow highway (usually raised) with minimal modernization, if any. Where that road carries a disproportionate amount of traffic due to job commuters and shoppers.

In modern America, our dispossession results in low-paying jobs with very few giant companies, THUS working class welfare is the subsidy of WalMart as panacea.

Welfare Wilma doesn’t pay much attention. Thousands of trips down that road over a decade. And intersections produce fatalities. Familiarity breeds contempt. Make her yet another borderline-retarded immigrant, and the road design problems multiply by a factor or more. THEN add in cell phone use.

Your map or GPS can help you figure metro proximity. Feeder roads. Just assume that if hill-y or high water table terrain is featured that your average travel speed will take a significant hit. THEN assume traffic lights.

My son is off to Colorado next week. I was explaining what my Dad (a native) told me about mountain driving. That speed limits are for locals. That tire traction is never to be taken for granted. That there are no real straightaways on which to gather speed. Etc. What’s ruined the pleasure of those trips aren’t the tourists, but the yahoos who just have to live in the mountains, but must drive everywhere for everything. A post-1970 phenomenon. And a very highly subsidized population. With terrible road manners. Don't let them crowd you. Any accident in the mountains is bad. Then, there’s going over the side.

The same applies to highways with traffic lights. Controlling mass is a job. Divorce broke the chain of experience from father’s to sons, and mass importation of stupid persons complicated the rest. No appreciation of the other drivers difficulty with his combination or extra-heavy single vehicle.

The answer IS NOT get around the slow truck. As that screws up the road for everyone else (reduction of separation space). But it’s what they’ll do.

You’ll have to figure HOW to hit them that you remain upright and in the lane afterwards to come to a controlled stop. As that’s all that matters.

A traffic light (and other rural intersections ) can mean a space ahead and across that you can pull off to let others around. With no accel/decel penalty. It’s the law almost everywhere that you pull off when it’s safe to do so.

Some roads, you can’t. Don’t sweat it.

A traffic light is just part of managing overtaking traffic. Expect nothing intelligent from those following as it’s become universal they can’t, won’t or don’t care about co-operation with others.

Do what you can to keep separate, and the rest falls into place. Even if the travel speed feels unnaturally low. In time, it won’t.

The upper speed limit isn’t really useful. It’s the distance to the next blind curve that is your alert.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:52 AM   #147 (permalink)
Banned

Team Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I used to joke that people rush to red lights so they have a few seconds to text and check InstaFaceChat (at least the ones not doing it while actually driving).

I don't think it's a joke anymore.

Some people are probably disappointed if the light turns green while they're slowing down.
Friend, it’s an observable fact. In highway slowdowns for construction, etc, it’s a GIVEN that at or below 20-mph they will ALL pick up the phone.

Understand, that it’s a preference.

These are children. Not adults.
Incapable of responsible behavior.

Just as their self-designated masters want them.

Old 01-19-2020, 05:58 PM   #148 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2020 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H
Last 3: 18.4 mpg (US)

2021 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H
90 day: 17.08 mpg (US)

2022 - '08 chevy Tahoe LT
Last 3: 14.38 mpg (US)

2023 - '08 Chevy Tahoe
Last 3: 22.61 mpg (US)

2024 - '08 Chevy Tahoe
90 day: 22.35 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessjoe View Post
Do people ever get really pissed off at your Eco driving??

I've got some good videos of people beeping and swearing at me from my rear dashcam ..... Compleatly unaware that when we've creeped up to the back of the que of traffic ... just intime for it to move again .... that their not loosing any time
people hate it when I have my left turn signal on when i'm going to make a Uturn but looks like im going to turn right
Old 01-19-2020, 06:12 PM   #149 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
They assume that everyone else on the road is as irretrievably stupid as they are. When your stated action (the left signal) turns out to be the case, they get offended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 01-24-2020, 12:21 PM   #150 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
"Anybody going slower than me is a moron, and anybody going faster than me is a maniac!"
-Said from the guy who rides your a.ss all the way to the red light, and then passes you to get on the interstate to sit beside a semi in the fast lane in front of you for 12 miles.