Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2022, 03:27 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
' if I'm understanding what you're saying'

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
My point isn't that you're wrong about everything or not smart enough. My point is that if I'm understanding what you're saying in the 1st post, that all ice melting will be equivalent to the earth receiving 2x more sunlight (extrapolated from Venus orbit comment), then I would expect the climate experts to be making those sorts of claims. I haven't seen such claims.
1) The Chcaltaya Glacier, in the Bolivian Andes Mountains began to melt in 1979.
2) By 2009, it was extinct.
3) This glacier had been there for 18,000-years.
4) Within 30-years, 18,000-years worth of ice vanished.
5) Consistent with astronomical climate forcing, Earth ought to be moving into the next Ice-Age.
6) Glaciers don't 'melt' in an 'ice-age.'
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7) In order for the white powder snow which had covered Chcaltaya Glacier to absorb enough energy to absorb the same energy as the underlying ice, you would have had to move Earth to within 74-million miles of the Sun.
8) In order for the ice to absorb enough energy to match that of the exposed underlying rock, would require moving Earth to within 63-million miles of the Sun.
That's all I'm saying.
That's the entire premise of this thought experiment.
Anthropogenic greenhouse gases are what prompted the loss of the glacier.
Presently, we've lost 641- ice caps / glaciers to man-made global warming.
And it's accelerating. That's all I'm talking about.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-05-2022, 05:34 PM   #42 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
#7 & #8

You're doing it again, you're making an energy statement by using a power context without the corresponding duration.

None of that is helpful. That's like saying in 1 day, my body gives off the full power of the sun, but conspicuously leaving out how long the sun burns to equal the same power output as my body.

It's not a useful frame.

In the same way, how long something had persisted is also uninteresting because it lacks any relevance to the future. Smallpox had existed for at least 3,000 years, and then it stopped existing in 1980.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 05-05-2022 at 05:41 PM..
Old 05-05-2022, 06:13 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

#7 & #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
#7 & #8

You're doing it again, you're making an energy statement by using a power context without the corresponding duration.

None of that is helpful. That's like saying in 1 day, my body gives off the full power of the sun, but conspicuously leaving out how long the sun burns to equal the same power output as my body.

It's not a useful frame.

In the same way, how long something had persisted is also uninteresting because it lacks any relevance to the future. Smallpox had existed for at least 3,000 years, and then it stopped existing in 1980.
1) It's an energy density phenomena over the temporal span of 30-years.
2) We've warmed the tropospheric ocean of air we live in.
3) If you take the Earth's surface to be the 'sea-floor' of the troposphere, the heat has been mixing into the atmosphere, creating a homogenously-heat-mixed- air 'ocean'.
4) This warmer air has been climbing the mountains, 15-feet per year, year after year, pushing the 0-degree C freeze line upwards with it.
5) The glaciers are stranded in place. They can't emigrate. They can't escape as the heat comes to meet them.
6) They just sit there exposed to more and more heat, which hadn't existed in the Holocene for 11,000-years, and back into time before the Holocene began.
7)By 1979, the anthropogenic heat flux, at an elevation of 18,000-feet was intense enough that the' highly-reflective' bright snow began to melt, and phase-shift into 'darker' ice.
8) This change in energy, experienced by the snow was equivalent to moving Earth closer to the Sun. It's a straight-forward inverse-square-law mathematical calculation, which I provided in it's entirety.
9) When all the snow was gone, ice melting proceeded at an accelerated rate, with nothing to buffer it from the onslaught of energy per unit surface area.
10) By 2009, all the ice was 'gone.' Exposed rock exposed to 1100-watts/sq-meter, just 'cooking' up there. This rate of energy absorption per square-meter is identical to what the ice would have experienced if parked at 63-million miles from the Sun.
It's just a different way to think about Earth's energy budget and energy balance. Of which Keith Mountain is an authority.
These exercises help me get a handle on the thermodynamics of the cryosphere.
Watch our mission to Mars, and what the spacesuits the colonists wear look like. In the cold of Martian days, you may see darker 'clothing' to help the teams soak up all the feeble sunlight they can possibly get there.
Jet Propulsion Laboratory can design the suits, there in Pasadena, using the same inverse-square-law and stellar constant.

Last edited by aerohead; 05-05-2022 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 05-05-2022, 07:04 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
8) This change in energy, experienced by the snow was equivalent to moving Earth closer to the Sun. It's a straight-forward inverse-square-law mathematical calculation, which I provided in it's entirety.
9) When all the snow was gone, ice melting proceeded at an accelerated rate, with nothing to buffer it from the onslaught of energy per unit surface area.
10) By 2009, all the ice was 'gone.' Exposed rock exposed to 1100-watts/sq-meter, just 'cooking' up there. This rate of energy absorption per square-meter is identical to what the ice would have experienced, parked at 63-million miles from the Sun.
It's just a different way to think about Earth's energy budget and energy balance.
Please include in your calculations the Delta V of the mass of the Earth to the new perigee. Show your math, 'cause I can't be bothered.

Old 05-05-2022, 11:26 PM   #45 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,525 Times in 2,799 Posts
I'll save you the trouble.
1+2= we're all going to die in 12 years.
Old 05-06-2022, 10:01 AM   #46 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Ok, I am old enough for that to be a distinct possibility. Perhaps even before.
Old 05-06-2022, 11:21 AM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Between the micronova and 'human nature', we should all be so lucky.

Old 05-09-2022, 10:43 AM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Delta V

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Please include in your calculations the Delta V of the mass of the Earth to the new perigee. Show your math, 'cause I can't be bothered.
1) 'Delta V' is a vague parameter to me.
2) Associated with 'mass' it might mean 'volume,' which wouldn't vary.
3) Associated with perigee, it might me Kepplerian' 'velocity,' which continuously varies.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4) If you're acquainted with 'solar constant', then you already know that Earth's orbital eccentricity of 3%, between apogee and perigee, is already taken into account, which simplifies the calculation.
5) On short timescales, as we're considering, there would be no such thing as a 'new' perigee.
6) So we're just back to the stellar constant, divided by the square of the distance from the Sun's photosphere, to whatever distance we're interested in.
7) I performed a second mathematical proof, based upon the surface areas of the spherical energy fronts, and my results happened to be identical to what the Department of Physics, at The University of Chicago came up with.
Old 05-09-2022, 10:44 AM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Statistically, I'll be dead in nine.
Old 05-09-2022, 01:18 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Greta Thunberg, the 'expert', only gave you ten in 2018.

Quote:
Delta-v
Delta-v, symbolized as ∆v and pronounced delta-vee, as used in spacecraft flight dynamics, is a measure of the impulse per unit of spacecraft mass that is needed to perform a maneuver such as launching from or landing on a planet or moon, or an in-space orbital maneuver.Wikipedia
I guess it's hyphenated. Sorry for the confusion.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-09-2022)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, scam