Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2008, 11:46 AM   #21 (permalink)
Yaris What????

Yari - '07 Toyota Yaris Liftback
So if you alter the height of the vehicle with aftermarket parts it will change the SCCA class. What if the height is changed with OEM parts, or is it simply changing anything? I'm glad to see you are a member or TCCA(taurus car club of america) you can get alot from them. I was a member a long time ago when my taurus still lived. They have since changed server and lost alot of the articles on aerodynamics. Let me get some information on you car; what engine? the duratech or vulcan? Which transmission do you have, axod-e,ax4s,ax4n? Dependent upon which you have I can recomend some things you can do to help longevity. Changing you wheels from the five star to the earlier basket weave or the Sable wheels that are in Sean's rendering will help a little, but may increase braking heat during your events.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-30-2008, 12:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoMod Wannabe

Taurusaurus Rex - '97 Ford Taurus GL (Sedan)
90 day: 19.39 mpg (US)

Blue Wagon - '00 Ford Taurus Wagon SE Comfort
90 day: 19.61 mpg (US)
I'm not too sure on changing the height with aftermarket vs. OEM arts, but I think that either would move me to a different class. And the roads around here aren't the friendliest to lowered cars, so I'm not too eager on spenidng money to lower my car.

As for the car itself, it is a 1997 Vulcan. Not sure what transmission, but it is an automatic and the shifter is on the column.

The wheels in that rendering are actually Taurus wheels, but from a higher trim level. I had the 5-star but switched to steelies recently. I have been keeping an eye out, hoping to stumble accross a cheap pair of disc-style hubcaps.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
Yaris What????

Yari - '07 Toyota Yaris Liftback
You won't have to shell out much to lower you car a short amount and considerably stiffen the ride without bottoming out on the road. If it doesn't move you up because of the oem parts that would be great. Go to shoforum.com and see if they have any stock SHO springs in the for sell section. Get the same year as yours and they will fit. Double check on tcca I think I remember someone saying something about replacing the back with fronts to reduce the saggy butt syndrome but its been years. Just in case you need to install a transmission cooler. You more than likely have the AX4S which has a faulty aluminum part inside that needs to be replaced with steel. Under high stress the aluminum becomes too hot and deforms effectively destroying your transmission. The cooler will lesson the likely hood of it over heating. I would hate to see your car end up like most of the 3rd gen SHO's whose cams have gotten loose and shot a valve into the cylinder.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
taurus

Jack Telnack did us all a favor with the Taurus/Sable.For mods,go to the phil knox aerodynamics photos album in the archive,go to the first "vehicles" spot,then go to page- 2.You'll find a photo of the aero-modded GM EV-1,as it set the closed-course land speed record at Fort Stockton,Texas.------------------------ The car starts with Cd 0.188 and goes lower with the mods,to hit 183-mph.----------------------- If you use the EV-1 as an example,you can't go wrong.Bone stock,these cars were rated 80-mpg HWY by Dr.Paul MacCready of Aerovironment,developer of the car for GM.----------------P.S.,the car has full bellypan.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:30 PM   #25 (permalink)
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
motor mount fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean T. View Post
I have been on this site a while and haven't posted lately, but it is summer now so I'll have quite a bit of free time. I have a 1997 Ford Taurus and need some ideas for making it aerodynamic.

I would like to make an underbody shield, but I have read that my car is an "underbreather" so I'm afraid that a shield will cause my engine to overheat.

I know I want to do something with my mirrors, but AFAIK there aren't any aftermarket mirrors available that fit my car. I absolutely will NOT survive on the road without mirrors, so removing them is out of the question. Perhaps there is some kind of cone I could attch to it to decrease the front surface area?

I want to do something with the front of the car, but I don't know how to attch it, because I don't want to damage the paint, and I would like ti to be removable. I go SCCA solo races sometimes so It would get wrecked if it was permanent.

I also want to do some kind of wheel skirts or something, but my car is narrow at the bottom so the wheel sticks out a lot, so a flat skirt will not work unless it's just like the top 5 inches. And, how do I make wheel skirts on the front? Is that possible?

I would also like to make some kind of shield to cover the wiper blades, but I'm not sure how something like that would work.

I also want to remove my radio antenna, but I use the radio everyday. Is there a way to run a wire to the sheet metal or something so I can still recieve a signal?

Here is some pics of my car so you can get an idea of what I have to work with:
Sean, I had a 2004 Taurus SE for a while, and I got high 20s on the highway (even 30 once). I replaced the factory muffler with a Flowmaster Delta 40 and put Royal Purple in the crankcase. As I understand it, if you have the Vulcan engine, you can replace the original rocker arms with some that are slightly longer (1.7 ratio vs factory 1.6), and get some much needed ummph. I also bought a 3 ft length of chain and wrapped it around the front motor mount and subframe, so it could barely move. I bolted the chain ends together. This didn't produce any power, but it does keep the engine from rocking when you hit the throttle. It feels like adding a few hp though. Barely noticeable in the cabin. I am sorry I cannot remember the size, but I think I was able to shove a 1/4" bolt through the links. Take a look at Taurus Car Club of America , the Taurus Car Club of America. They will have some links/DIYs for these.
[edit] found the link... http://taurusclub.com/forum/index.ph...1&#entry416131
This makes me miss my Taurus...

Last edited by ECONORAM; 11-24-2009 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: found the link
Old 11-24-2009, 10:49 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoMod Wannabe

Taurusaurus Rex - '97 Ford Taurus GL (Sedan)
90 day: 19.39 mpg (US)

Blue Wagon - '00 Ford Taurus Wagon SE Comfort
90 day: 19.61 mpg (US)
Yeah, I've been on TCCA even longer than here.

Unfortunately I also autocross my car, so the rocker arms are out of the question. I'll ask for a new muffler for christmas though Dad had mentioned it a while ago, so I'm sure he'll be on board with the idea.

I've done quite a bit since this thread was last updated. Different front and rear bumpers, different wheels (lightest ever produced OEM Taurus wheels), and both mirrors deleted.

I plan on putting my old bumper back on for winter and butchering it up for aerodynamics
Old 02-26-2010, 09:33 PM   #27 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Sean T. -

Have you seen this on the net before? :

Going green

They feature a "1996 Joule PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle)" that uses a Ford Taurus as a base. If you can get better pictures of that nose, then maybe you have a project.

I found it by sheer accident here (it's the silver one on the right) :

exhibits :: P1010002.jpg picture by automuseum22 - Photobucket

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 02-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #28 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Sean T. -

Have you seen this on the net before? :

Going green

They feature a "1996 Joule PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle)" that uses a Ford Taurus as a base. If you can get better pictures of that nose, then maybe you have a project.

I found it by sheer accident here (it's the silver one on the right) :

exhibits :: P1010002.jpg picture by automuseum22 - Photobucket

CarloSW2
That silver car is the UCDavis future car that I mentioned in post # 5 ( Wow ... I posted that two years ago )

Just look at the extensive reshaping of the entire front end. It's a shame that all that work only shaved three counts off the Cd.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:15 PM   #29 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Cd -

Thanks for the correction. I only saw it as the "Joule" car. Very Ford Probey. It's on permanent display in the California Auto Museum in Sacramento, if anyone would like to take pictures for us (hint hint hint).

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Reply  Post New Thread