Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #211 (permalink)
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
Hooray! Belt chirp. Which likely means something is misalligned.

I'm going to forget about it for now. The belt is stable and I've driven a hundred miles without issue. I want to get it wired up so I can at least have it operational sooner rather than later. I can always come back and fix the problem since I already plan to redesign the bracket.

Last edited by brucey; 12-02-2010 at 06:30 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #212 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
Glad to hear that the project is coming along. When did you hear the belt chirp was it at a constant, increase, or decreasing RPM?

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
Old 12-14-2010, 02:57 PM   #213 (permalink)
A madman

Pretty much constant chirp. I was going to work on the charger this past weekend, but a buddy brought a jackhammer up and we dug out and installed a sump pump. At least I got a dry basement now!

It's currently mid teens at noon so I'm going to wait for mid 30's before I work on this again, but I do have the heavy wiring made up, so I just need to run it. Next I'm going to mount the throttle and the gauges.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #214 (permalink)
A madman

Finally got a little motivation.

I attempted to construct a throttle that would attach to the gear shifter and use a bike handle or something similar, but decided it wasn't worth my time with me focusing on getting it running before I focus on making it nice. As such, right now the throttle is bolted in and I added a handle (dowel rod) to use it.

I also couldn't find a way to mount the gauge needed that wouldn't be in the way, so I had to go a bit ricer and get an Impreza A-pillar mount for it. Went ahead and got a double since I plan to also install a ATF temp gauge sooner or later. It isn't a perfect fit, but it's pretty close. I'm sure with some work I could trim it up and paint it to look better.

Also got several anderson powerpole connectors/ring connectors, and am working on the small wiring harness now. Added the powerpoles to go to the throttle and will be adding some ring connectors for the main solenoid once I figure out where I'm going to mount it.

That's all for now!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	throttlemounted.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	7636   Click image for larger version

Name:	gaugemounted.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	7637  
Old 01-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #215 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
glad to hear you're getting back on it. did you ever figure out the belt tension problem?

The a-pillar guage is a clever solution. Too bad a scanguage wouldn't fit on there :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #216 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hey! I'm glad I found this; I'm the guy that did the first supercharger install you posted. Skidd was actually my inspiration for it.

Lo and behold, I had this exact idea (E-charger) only moments ago, and some quick searches led me here, and it looks like I'll be piggybacking this idea, but using my current SC stuff to work it out!
Old 02-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #217 (permalink)
A madman

Yup, Skidd is on this site as well. I've talked to him some. Once I get the wiring done and the batteries in. I'm going to test it to make sure it's working before worrying much about the mounting system (which chirps, but the motor will spin the engine) I plan to go back and re-do the mounting system and might just go with a 3rd belt instead of piggy backing the stock one. Would love to help you out any I can!

I just need some time on the project, as currently there seems to be a short supply of the stuff! The only thing I need to purchase is batteries, but I was thinking of trying to find some used ones first just to get the system running before buying new.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #218 (permalink)
A madman

Heavy wiring is done! It got nice for a while and I went ahead and did it while enjoying getting filthy again. My new job has a 3 mile commute, which means my mileage has been sucking and as such, I have a lot more incentive to get this done now! Yesterday we had a sunny 65 degree day, a thunderstorm, hail, and snow, in about 10 hours. Hope the weather gets nice again, I'm tired of being inside anymore. Now to figure out how to run all those stupid tiny wires everywhere in the car.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #219 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Awesome! I am very very interested to see this finished!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:33 AM   #220 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Following your project with interest. I have been thinking of doing this to my car as well. I can't justify building a dedicated EV since I use my car to tow a small camper and a hobby trailer for my RC planes, yes they are all electric. Anyhow, what I am looking for is an speed controller with amp limiting. This way you could just link the speed controller to your throttle cable with some adjustment. This would allow you to just ramp up to a max amp load in say the first 10% of throttle. If extra power is needed just dip into the IC throttle further with no change in electric assist. Does anyone know if this technology is available?

Reply  Post New Thread