Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2015, 08:31 AM   #1221 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoboy View Post
Safety is the big buzz word, and I get it. I am not sure I would feel safe driving a smart car that as it is about 1/2 the length of a normal car.
Normal changes easily:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
Grant-53 (10-22-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-22-2015, 09:50 AM   #1222 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoboy View Post
Several others like that centurion prove high mpg can be achieve by combining a light weight vehicle with aerodynamics. It is not even a question. If your moving less air and your vehicle only weighs 1250 lbs you will get the mpg.

If you can live without FWD and do a RWD reverse trike fully areo you could get the same mpg for much less money.

Safety is the big buzz word, and I get it. I am not sure I would feel safe driving a smart car that as it is about 1/2 the length of a normal car.
I know you can get good mileage but I call BS that you can get it using the current standard EPA fuel economy test. If Elio gets to advertise what is possible then why can't Toyota say 100 mpg for their Prius which has also been demonstrated possible?
Old 10-22-2015, 10:37 AM   #1223 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

We all know the EPA mileage methods are benchmarks for comparison. Manufacturers of motor vehicles have been using figures for mileage, horsepower, and weight for decades and often you need to read the fine print. We also know or should know that crash worthiness is as much a function geometric design and material selection as size or mass. This why companies have developed detailed computer models and then test them. Subtle changes can have profound effects such as moving the seat belt mount a couple inches in the Honda Civic. I was impressed by the crash test video of the Smart car. That thing is build like an armored telephone booth. Now we are seeing more tech on accident avoidance. Right now there is a lot of marketing buzz particularly on light trucks. Safety, like speed and quality, costs money and each of us decides what we need and are willing to spend.

Last edited by Grant-53; 10-22-2015 at 10:46 AM..
Old 10-22-2015, 10:56 AM   #1224 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I know you can get good mileage but I call BS that you can get it using the current standard EPA fuel economy test. If Elio gets to advertise what is possible then why can't Toyota say 100 mpg for their Prius which has also been demonstrated possible?
Elio would actually have to build and sell one before an owner could claim damages from false advertising.

Also, has there even been an EPA test done? I'd wager the 84 came from computer modelling, kind of like when we use the EM aero/mpg tool to generate an estimate.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (10-22-2015), rmay635703 (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 12:48 PM   #1225 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
I don't think that Elio is claiming an EPA rating of 84MPG. They are also saying it should get ~60MPG in city driving.

And they are currently building the P5, which is the first version that uses their Elio engine.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 10-22-2015, 12:50 PM   #1226 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Elio would actually have to build and sell one before an owner could claim damages from false advertising.

Also, has there even been an EPA test done? I'd wager the 84 came from computer modelling, kind of like when we use the EM aero/mpg tool to generate an estimate.
Right, but they are advertising 84. What gives them the right to advertise something based on a different standard then Toyota?
It's a motorcycle sure but 2500 series trucks aren't help to the EPA test yet you don't see Dodge claiming 50+ mpg for the Cummins even though that has been shown possible.

For me the 84 mpg claim is another reason this will not happen, it is a lawsuit in the making when it gets scored 60 mpg in an EPA test and I'm probably being generous.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:08 PM   #1227 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Right, but they are advertising 84. What gives them the right to advertise something based on a different standard then Toyota?

For me the 84 mpg claim is another reason this will not happen, it is a lawsuit in the making when it gets scored 60 mpg in an EPA test and I'm probably being generous.
Jesus debbie downer, I have never once seen a car claim city efficiency, they ALWAYS list highway efficiency whenever possible.

Next 84mpg isn't that fricken hard, my insight was doing that and more every day for over a year before problem occured. And the insight mind you is much larger than an elio both weight and frontal area.

None of their claims I find ficticious, not even the price, what is ficticious is that they are actually trying to make and sell the car.

Reality is unless you big pockets come over the elio will never get made, they just aren't that serious in getting the thing started for real.

Cheers
Ryan
Old 10-22-2015, 03:21 PM   #1228 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm not talking city, I'm 100% giving them the best possible senerio of highway. We all know that much better then EPA estimates are possible with driving style but that doesn't allow the corporations to make up their own rules and advertise whatever they want. Elio is advertising for more deposits, that is the one thing they are doing. I'm just looking for a little truth in advertising.

The best first gen Insight is rated 59mph highway under the current EPA testing. You really think the Elio is going to be over 35% better then the best hybrid ever made?
Old 10-22-2015, 09:45 PM   #1229 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Maybe. At speed, don't hybrids get most of their power from gas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 10-22-2015, 11:10 PM   #1230 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant-53 View Post
I was impressed by the crash test video of the Smart car. That thing is build like an armored telephone booth. Now we are seeing more tech on accident avoidance.
I seem to recall seeing some Smart car crash test videos too. Structure held up to some pretty brutal bashing... Trouble is it reminds me of eggs in a Tupperware box. Drop the box, and upon inspection you would see that the box survived the fall surprisingly (or maybe not so surprisingly) well. Made me think the "crumple zones" are on the inside.

That seemed to be a trait many of the early vehicles that pre-dated seat belts & engineered crush zones had. At least now you might not get ejected after being scrambled.

Originator of the "Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me

Last edited by stiletto2; 10-22-2015 at 11:18 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, scam