Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SC1 - '02 Saturn SC1
Team Saturn
90 day: 41.8 mpg (US)

DaGnoma - '02 GMC Sonoma SL
Pickups
90 day: 25.03 mpg (US)
Angry EOC attempt FAIL. GM owners help?

I just picked up some lunch and was on the way back to the office. The highway on the route back has a big ol' hill, so at the top of the hill at 60mph I put the truck in neutral and killed the engine by turning back the key. After the engine died, I turned the key back to ON so that the steering wheel wouldn't lock. After my delightful coast, I popped the clutch in 5th gear to restart the engine...

At this point, the truck's computer went totally ape sh#t. Every light on the dash came on and blinked for about five seconds and the Security light kept flashing. I tried to crank the engine but nothing. This while I'm still coasting around 65mph of course. I had to pull the truck over, no PS or PB, let it sit for about five minutes and then it started just fine.

Have any other GM owners out there experienced this? Not sure if it's something specific to the dime trucks or just the manual transmission. Googling has this far found no results related to the security light flashing while restarting the engine at speed...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
tru
EcoModding Apprentice

tru - '05 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 39.46 mpg (US)

the truck - '02 GMC Sierra Denali
ive had the same issue with my ford focus. once had the car not restart upon multiple attempts with the starter. had it happen one other time and i turned the key back to off let sit for a few seconds and then turn the key and cranked off the starter. the good news is, when the event occurs i know it ahead of time via the security light turns on.

hopefully someone else can tell us more
Old 05-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

2006 Honda Civic - '06 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 44.84 mpg (US)

DW's 2009 Sonata - '09 Hyundai Sonata GLS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 29.04 mpg (US)
Why didn't you start the car in neutral and then rev match to 5th?

My Hyundai Sonata did a similar Christmas tree light show when I did an engine off at a red light. I started up in neutral just fine but when I popped it into gear, the engine grunted and hesitated before giving me power.

No more of that for me. From now on, I wait until all the startup lights turn off before I move into gear.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,958 Times in 3,603 Posts
Quote:
After the engine died, I turned the key back to ON so that the steering wheel wouldn't lock.
The steering won't lock if you only turn the key back ONE click from the RUN position.

Is it possible you turned the car (computer) completely off by turning the key back too far, and that's what it didn't like?

Was this your first attempt at trying this - at 65 mph on the highway?
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 05-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SC1 - '02 Saturn SC1
Team Saturn

Pickups
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
The steering won't lock if you only turn the key back ONE click from the RUN position.

Is it possible you turned the car (computer) completely off by turning the key back too far, and that's what it didn't like?

Was this your first attempt at trying this - at 65 mph on the highway?
The ACC position on my truck is actually behind OFF, and you have to push the button to get it there. So clockwise you have ACC - OFF - ON - START.

I did find a similar situation on google from owners attempting to simply push-start an S-10. Apparently ANY time you start the vehicle, the key must be in the start position. So attempting to pop the clutch even in first gear, say due to a dead battery or bad starter, you must hold the key forward or the Security light will immobilize the vehicle... CRAZY!
Old 05-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
SCNTN -

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCNTN View Post
The ACC position on my truck is actually behind OFF, and you have to push the button to get it there. So clockwise you have ACC - OFF - ON - START.

I did find a similar situation on google from owners attempting to simply push-start an S-10. Apparently ANY time you start the vehicle, the key must be in the start position. So attempting to pop the clutch even in first gear, say due to a dead battery or bad starter, you must hold the key forward or the Security light will immobilize the vehicle... CRAZY!
Ok, sounds like a security feature that didn't take into account manual shifter dead-battery bump starts. I would hypothesize that your Sonoma needs an injector-kill-switch or equivalent.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 05-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 41.61 mpg (US)
I'm sure that I did some EOC using the key, but I just don't remember that far back. I know I never had your problem.

I've been doing EOC using an injector kill switch. The engine restarts properly whether I bump start or key start it. It will randomly light the CEL with an injector code. Then I reset the CEL with the Scangauge and continue driving.
06 Canyon: The vacuum gauge plus wheel covers helped increase summer 2015 mileage to 38.5 MPG, while summer 2016 mileage was 38.6 MPG without the wheel covers. Drove 33,021 miles 2016-2018 at 35.00 MPG.

22 Maverick: Summer 2022 burned 62.74 gallons in 3145.1 miles for 50.1 MPG. Winter 2023-2024 - 2416.7 miles, 58.66 gallons for 41 MPG.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SC1 - '02 Saturn SC1
Team Saturn

Pickups
I tried another test on the highway near my home. Apparently it's an issue with the speed as well - trying to start with the key rather than bump starting yielded the same result. Looks like EOC isn't an option for me. Doh!
Old 05-16-2012, 11:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
SCNTN -

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCNTN View Post
I tried another test on the highway near my home. Apparently it's an issue with the speed as well - trying to start with the key rather than bump starting yielded the same result. Looks like EOC isn't an option for me. Doh!
Here's a question. What happens when you do a "normal" bump start as if the battery is dead? Try to do it on a (safe and) gentle slope that allows you to get up enough speed for a 2nd gear bump start.

If it still goes bonkers then you can try to find a Chevy Sonoma forum and I gair-own-tee that someone has complained about this and *mayyyyyyyybe* someone else posted a workaround.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 05-17-2012, 12:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SC1 - '02 Saturn SC1
Team Saturn

Pickups
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
What happens when you do a "normal" bump start as if the battery is dead?
Actually, this got me thinking... my dad had to push start me once with his truck when my battery died. Had to really get moving to turn over that 4.3, but it did start around 15mph without me turning the key to start. So my earlier findings on google don't appear to be entirely correct. This makes me think it may be totally speed related. I'll try bump starting at increasing speeds and see if perhaps there is an upper limit that triggers the security light.

Reply  Post New Thread