Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Well put, RustyLugNut.

A few years ago I went to a training class in a certain factory in a certain southern state. The class was about the latest Diesel emission reduction technology - EGR, SCR, DPFs, etc., all of which I think is a good step to clean up stinky, disgusting diesels. The entire class could be summed up with a "we wouldn't have to do all this if it wasn't for stupid old California." It struck a real nerve with me as I learned how ignorant these people actually are.

Many find it easy to look outside in the middle of their prairie (or even a nice clean west coast city like where I live) and think pollution control is pointless and a waste of money, and I do not understand it.

Many still hang on the the early-70s mentality that if there is an emission control we must tear if off, and I do not understand it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

In 50 words or less, can someone please summarize what positive purpose sulfur does in an ICE and what damage will result from its reduction in a gasoline ICE application?

I am aware of the downfalls to diesel (pump failures, etc.) from the reduction in sulfur in that application.

Thank you.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...sorry, but those "insignificant" costs due to CARB and/or EPA have affected every car I've bought...
But so have the benefits, which go far beyond cleaner air. Did you really enjoy adjusting ignition points and cleaning/replacing spark plugs every 10K miles or so? How about adjusting carburetors? When was the last time you had to crank & crank on a carbed engine to get it to start, instead of the first turn start of a modern EFI engine?
Old 04-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
It struck a real nerve with me as I learned how ignorant these people actually are.
Speaking of which, there was an example in the news today. Redneck reality TV star takes his SUV out playing in the mud, gets stuck in a hole with the exhaust below the mud, sits there with the engine running, dies of carbon monoxide poisoning. Darwin strikes again.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #25 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau View Post
In 50 words or less, can someone please summarize what positive purpose sulfur does in an ICE and what damage will result from its reduction in a gasoline ICE application?

I am aware of the downfalls to diesel (pump failures, etc.) from the reduction in sulfur in that application.

Thank you.
Sulphur is not 'added' to either gasoline or diesel, it is intrinsiclally a part of the crude oil itself, a component of the biomass decomposition into oil.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
...beats walking...

RustLugNut -- As I said, CALIFORNIA does NOT rule the United States, regardless of what *it* might think, and making everybody else suffer for their problems is neither democratic nor beneficial.

The CALIFORNIA mindset of "...what's good for US is good for YOU (whether you want or need it or not)" is self-centered and haughty.

Do what you want *IN* California, but leave the rest of us alone! Maybe we should cry to the BLM to "cut" the Colorado River water flow into Los Angles whenever Arizona (or Nevada) has a drought or water problem?
The Following User Says Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
GeekForLife (04-05-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
Sulphur is not 'added' to either gasoline or diesel, it is intrinsiclally a part of the crude oil itself, a component of the biomass decomposition into oil.
Let me phrase my question differently - other than the added expense that will result from the costs to reduce the amount of sulfer, are there negative impacts on the engine that will result from reduced sulfer content?
Old 04-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #28 (permalink)
...beats walking...

As yet unknown...sorta like when they took the lead out of gasoline, then discovered afterward that without the presence of lead, the valves were "sinking" into their head seats because previously the lead-oxide had acted like a "sponge-cushion" to prevent this from happening. An example of EPA's "Unintended Consquences" from not thoroughly investigating (understanding) the ramifications of their hasty mandates.

But, we *do* know that it should help prolong the life of catalytic converters, because it (suphur) is something else that they would NOT have to "burn" during their useful operating live span.

Last edited by gone-ot; 04-02-2013 at 07:06 PM..
Old 04-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Thank you. I have been told that the reduction in sulfer in diesel fuel caused premature pump failure, therfore some are adding additives (including TC-W3 ashless two stroke oil).
Old 04-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #30 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau View Post
Thank you. I have been told that the reduction in sulfer in diesel fuel caused premature pump failure, therfore some are adding additives (including TC-W3 ashless two stroke oil).
...sounds like the infamous VW diesel pump problems of lately.

Reply  Post New Thread