Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2010, 02:35 AM   #61 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Does driving an old car automatically put you old car people in a state of denial? Anecdotes prove nothing, especially when they involve something as variable as hitting deer.

Mech, I know the relative risks. I've never said we should live our lives in bubbles. Your biggest risk every day is not giving your heart a cardio workout. Driving an old beater only adds to it. My father-in-law died a paraplegic from a truck accident. You can take your chances with your old iron. I prefer to play all the odds I can in my favor. Always have, because sooner or later, the odds catch you. And I'm coming from a background of >100,000 miles on motorcycles.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-22-2010, 02:37 AM   #62 (permalink)
Grasshopper

Makai - '01 Toyota Echo 4D Auto
90 day: 34.45 mpg (US)

New Galaxy - '07 Toyota Prius
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovel View Post
Hell my sister is a frickin' pr0n model and does all her own vehicle repairs including engine rebuilds... so it's not like the stereotypical "gear head male" is necessary to turn wrenches and follow repair manual steps.

I call shenanigans...

unless you provide pics

Old 01-22-2010, 03:01 AM   #63 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
I prefer to play all the odds I can in my favor. Always have, because sooner or later, the odds catch you. And I'm coming from a background of >100,000 miles on motorcycles.
Bikes are sooo much worse than cars it isn't even funny. My '59 with the spear steering column is a better bet for safety than a bike. No I haven't looked for any stats.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #64 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mater - '98 Dodge 3500 Dually

Wilber - '99 Toyota Corolla LX

Minyatta - '93 Mazda Miata MX-5
Hey Frank,

What kind of MPG's do you get in your 59?

Dave
Old 01-22-2010, 08:56 AM   #65 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Daily Driver - '02 Pontiac Grand Prix SE
90 day: 18.45 mpg (US)
With all this banter on safety I almost forgot the title of the thread......

Stopped in at the Toyota dealer to see how nice driving a 2009 Tacoma would be compared to my 1995 Sonoma. Sure was nice. But I think with $5000 I could make my truck just as comfortable and more capable offroad than the Tacoma, nullifying any reason to "upgrade."

Seats, improved lighting, suspension upgrades, and a QSB3.3 Cummins diesel pretty much make me not want to ditch the Sonoma.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #66 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
I really enjoy vehicle age, size, weight, and technology arguments! This is the best one so far because it has ALL of them.

We're not changing anyone else's minds, are we?

It seems like lots of opinion and a little of fact sprinkled-in.

I say drive what you want.
Do it efficiently.
Do it safely.
...and this exact topic will be re-visited, again, in about 4 months, in a separate thread.

See some of my favorites. I know they'll soon be yours too!!!

Crash Safety Then (1959) and Now (2009)
Cameras are a success in Quebec (for speeding & red lights)
Why doesn't the U.S. get good FE cars?
What are the car manufacturers doing??
Why I Strive For MPG In A Big Pickup
Car & Driver disses buying old economy cars to save fuel

...and my personal favorite:
Small Can Be Safe
(I won't spoil the ending)

Happy Motoring

RH77
This is great stuff thanks Rick. Reminds me of a story.

Pete and Repete were in a boat. Pete fell out who was left.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #67 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mater - '98 Dodge 3500 Dually

Wilber - '99 Toyota Corolla LX

Minyatta - '93 Mazda Miata MX-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by almightybmw View Post
With all this banter on safety I almost forgot the title of the thread......

Stopped in at the Toyota dealer to see how nice driving a 2009 Tacoma would be compared to my 1995 Sonoma. Sure was nice. But I think with $5000 I could make my truck just as comfortable and more capable offroad than the Tacoma, nullifying any reason to "upgrade."

Seats, improved lighting, suspension upgrades, and a QSB3.3 Cummins diesel pretty much make me not want to ditch the Sonoma.

Almighty,

You put a QSB3.3 in your Sonoma? What trans is behind that? Coolio!

Dave

Sorry to get off topic here guys!
Old 01-22-2010, 09:16 AM   #68 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Does driving an old car automatically put you old car people in a state of denial? Anecdotes prove nothing, especially when they involve something as variable as hitting deer.
Didn't you know? It's the MAN... FORCING people to buy safer cars just so we can import more oil! Those seatbelts add 5 pounds to your car. Take 'em out! Seatbelts weren't required before 1971 and nobody died! Well, except all those that did, but they were probably driving like idiots! Never mind that death rates have been falling despite more cars on the road, higher speed limits, bigger SUVs, crumbling roads and way more big rigs. Get off the treadmill, man! Just weld another patch into your shock mount. It's probably stronger than new! You're a better driver than they are, so you'll never get in an accident! And if so, that steel bumper will protect your car from damage by transferring the energy into you and your passengers. But your car will still be driveable! Boy, will you be laughing then when he has to have his bumper cover and airbag replaced and all you got was that concussion and dental work!

Old 01-22-2010, 10:53 AM   #69 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
so... at 5 years age we should crush 100% of all cars (so that nobody can drive them & risk their lives) ? If your argument is that we're all dumb for driving old cars, then what do you propose we do with old cars?

I showed my math, which does by necessity make a few assumptions but I believe I made them fairly. An average 2010 car *is* more protective of its occupants than an average 1990 car but people still die in all model years of car, and people still die more frequently in other, non-motor-vehicle pursuits.

We all have to choose the risks we're comfortable with and as an adult I make the informed decision to trade an estimated 0.135% increase in risk of death by motor vehicle collision for a 5000% increase in actual fun had living before I die, due to having twice the net discretionary income I'd have if I was making a car payment. I will not apologize for this decision, or retract it.

What you do is your decision and I support it, just don't call me delusional for my decision.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #70 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohaspirit View Post
I call shenanigans...

unless you provide pics

figured THAT was coming... yeah believe it or not I don't have noodz of my sister working on her (1991 model year OH NOOOOES!! SHE GONNA DIE!!) benz with her girl parts hanging out. she's Midnyte on SG and here's us hanging out together circa 1985, and a year or so ago in Sedona with her husband and son. Naked people have families too! I guess you'll just have to take my word that she's handy with a wrench & pretty much anything else she decides to start learning.