Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2008, 11:48 PM   #131 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
well before dark today i attached two rails that will be guides for the inside of my new hatch .. Ill chop out the tail lights tomorrow and move then to the rear of the car.. the extension will be about 30" total from the rearof the stock hatch.. right now its about 5 foot beyond the hatch and its defiantly to long .. but so so tempting to try.. LOL

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-07-2008, 10:09 AM   #132 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
right now its about 5 foot beyond the hatch and its defiantly to long .. but so so tempting to try.. LOL
Easier to cut off than to add on, I always say.

Like that old saying:
I have cut this board twice and it is STILL too short.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:50 PM   #133 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Progress:

The weather was good so progress has been made..

Here is the new hathc abnd taillight assembly:

here is the assembly with the hatch portion open:

here is the rear view: there a little of kilter in this photo and have been adjusted..

here is detail of the fiberglassed tail light mount made from fliece and fiber glass and steel molded in.

This assembly is so strong that i can shake and push the car from it.. its very sturdy and raises the tail lights up to the level of the lip of the stock hatch for better view of the other drivers.

The channels you see are 1/2 inch and will fit the 1/2" foam to for the side walls of the hatch window.. the hatch will still be functional.

heres is a warning PINK FOAM INSULATION melts with fiberglass.. use the foil backed yellow foam insulation .. found out the pink foam isn't the stuff to use.. no loss ill be using the pink foam for foam forms for spary foam..

Hopefully I'll get a bunch of foaming done tomorrow..

Old 06-07-2008, 11:53 PM   #134 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

have to add the extension is 2 foot..

Last edited by ebacherville; 06-08-2008 at 04:36 PM..
Old 06-07-2008, 11:54 PM   #135 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Blue - '77 Chevy P/U
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacherville View Post
Progress:

The weather was good so progress has been made..

Here is the new hathc abnd taillight assembly:

here is the assembly with the hatch portion open:

here is the rear view: there a little of kilter in this photo and have been adjusted..

here is detail of the fiberglassed tail light mount made from fliece and fiber glass and steel molded in.

This assembly is so strong that i can shake and push the car from it.. its very sturdy and raises the tail lights up to the level of the lip of the stock hatch for better view of the other drivers.

The channels you see are 1/2 inch and will fit the 1/2" foam to for the side walls of the hatch window.. the hatch will still be functional.

heres is a warning PINK FOAM INSULATION melts with fiberglass.. use the foil backed yellow foam insulation .. found out the pink foam isn't the stuff to use.. no loss ill be using the pink foam for foam forms for spary foam..

Hopefully I'll get a bunch of foaming done tomorrow..
what about the blue board ?
Old 06-08-2008, 09:18 AM   #136 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMP View Post
what about the blue board ?
I don't know about that didn't see it here in the stores.. this white/yellow stuff works great..

Old 06-08-2008, 11:34 AM   #137 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Blue - '77 Chevy P/U
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacherville View Post
I don't know about that didn't see it here in the stores.. this white/yellow stuff works great..
OK,,,keep the pics coming
Old 06-08-2008, 02:06 PM   #138 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ebacherville,
That looks great. I expect you can drag the back of the car sideways by the extension with all the triangulation you did in there.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:24 PM   #139 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

here are the mounds of foam that will be sculpted into the new c pillar once cured, i think it will take 2 days for this stuff to cure enough.. you can also see the 1st side rear quarter panel mock.

also the thing is covered in foam sheets as it was sprinkling off and on here.. you can also see the cardboard spacers that are covered in tinfoil to act as a release agent once dry this card board will make my gap for the hatch so everything is still operable.

you can also see that i removed all the foil from the foil backed foam.. this makes the panels very flexible and makes a great surface to bond to.. be careful that foil can cut ya..

Yo can see some 1/2 verticel yellow foan this is the inside wall of where my new window will be.. easy way to form up the spray foam and to geta nice smooth wall and the inside of the window.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:30 PM   #140 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

i did a little test on the foam and spray foam using foam as a glue to glue together foam chunks.. works great very very strong .. and light weight to boot..

Ill be using this when i form up the sides and under side of the rear end..

Reply  Post New Thread