Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #61 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
how much does the new nose weigh?
The nose judging bythe materials i put into it probably weighs about 50 lbs.. all voids to smoth it out after the initial resin and fleece were filled with foam and then skim coated with a very thin coat of bondo.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-29-2008, 07:26 PM   #62 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ebacherville, you have done a great job with this project.

The area at the rear of the hood/base of the windshield is usually a high pressure area, (that is one reason most cars have the cabin air intake there) you might want to put some yarn tufts in the gap when you raise the hood and see which way the air goes. Since you mentioned your car has no vents there I wonder where the cabin air intake is. Also keep in mind that the back of the hood normally is designed and restrained so it does not do the gullotine thru the windshield trick in case of collision.

The bug splat data is great news!! IF you do end up needing it, it tells you where to put the center of the hole, and suggests you could make a hole in the front smaller than the splatted area and have no bad effect on the airflow.
Put the lic. plate on the slanted section, maybe recess it and put some flush clear plastic over it like you did the headlights. Also wash out the core of the radiator from the back, with a garden hose, sometimes they get clogged or dusty and it makes a difference.

And doing the aero by eye is fine, think of all the natural shapes with low drag, like fish, seals, etc.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:43 AM   #63 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

yeah, the car ran considerable cooler before the nose went on, the the radiator is clean.. its surly a air flow issue.. barely anything is getting the the radiator.. I consider that a good thing at this point considering the underbelly of the nose is not on, it's directing air where it should quite well, around and over the car..

My hood lift should correct the air flow issue and if not a larger lower spoiler than the stock one should totally correct it.

As for where the cars pulling cabin air,, its still a total mystery to me.. cant see it getting much air from the cowl thats totally sealed .. watching bugs flow over the hood and wind shield there fly right over that are very smoothly.

Now I'm on to designing the tail.. so far its quite extreme to lessen the wake..

Old 05-30-2008, 03:35 AM   #64 (permalink)
EcoModding Minded

Lunar Mist - '02 Toyota Tacoma SR5
90 day: 25.31 mpg (US)

Silver Streak - '08 Toyota Corolla S
90 day: 38.25 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Chris D.
How far away is Alexandria from Monticello?

I'm moving out of California to minnesota next month

It would be cool to do some bench racing on areo mods or just hang out and bs..

Old 05-30-2008, 09:20 AM   #65 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

An even more craptastic (is that even possible?) gimpshop

For the cooling problem, and to avoid the work of making a belly pan, the red under the nose is the air dam (spoiler)(made out of a racecar tire) I was suggeting, if you leave the underside of the nose open.
Bring it closer to the tires and wheel well than i have drawn.

The red side skirts would tend to keep a lower pressure under the car, (if you have the air dam) which might be useful because all of these half-teardrop designs not only LOOK like the cross-section of a wing, they can actually produce significant lift. If the steering becomes unresponsive at high speeds (car wants to go straight even when you turn the wheel), you are probably getting front wheel lift. If the back end of the car wants to swing out and pass you when you go around turns at high speeds, you are getting more rear wheel lift than front. In any case, takeoff is undesireable.

The cyan is just a wheel well cover. The green under the back helps extend that lower pressure area under the car some more.. I don't have an opinion of the effect on drag one way or another.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CRXconcept3.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	826  

Last edited by ttoyoda; 05-30-2008 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: Forgot to upload the picture yet again.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:01 AM   #66 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris D. View Post
How far away is Alexandria from Monticello?

I'm moving out of California to minnesota next month

It would be cool to do some bench racing on areo mods or just hang out and bs..
Monticello is only maybee a hour to a hour and a half drive from Alexandria MN

Old 05-30-2008, 12:09 PM   #67 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttoyoda View Post
For the cooling problem, and to avoid the work of making a belly pan, the red under the nose is the air dam (spoiler)(made out of a racecar tire) I was suggeting, if you leave the underside of the nose open.
Bring it closer to the tires and wheel well than i have drawn.

The red side skirts would tend to keep a lower pressure under the car, (if you have the air dam) which might be useful because all of these half-teardrop designs not only LOOK like the cross-section of a wing, they can actually produce significant lift. If the steering becomes unresponsive at high speeds (car wants to go straight even when you turn the wheel), you are probably getting front wheel lift. If the back end of the car wants to swing out and pass you when you go around turns at high speeds, you are getting more rear wheel lift than front. In any case, takeoff is undesireable.

The cyan is just a wheel well cover. The green under the back helps extend that lower pressure area under the car some more.. I don't have an opinion of the effect on drag one way or another.
Yeah i have not even gotten to my skirts etc yet.. tackling the biggest projects first.. the car will get fully skirted and wheel covers all around

Old 05-30-2008, 04:38 PM   #68 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

I lifted the rear of the hood, as soon as the wife gets home ill be able to test it and see if it makes a big difference, I lifted it about a inch. air will not touch the wipers now with that simple lift.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:52 PM   #69 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

well the lifter hood helped some but still runs a bit warm, think ill have to cut a hole in the bug splat region and pipe it over the the radiator to ensure a cool running motor.. I decided ill mount my plate in the upper part of the windsheeild inside.. may no be legal but worst i can get is a fix it ticket..

Old 05-31-2008, 12:12 AM   #70 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacherville View Post
as soon as the wife gets home .
What does your wife think of the car now ?

Reply  Post New Thread