Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Mr. Blue Tape

AzxA - '06 Scion xA
90 day: 42.72 mpg (US)
I wish I was faking... but years of non-HM driving do a toll on my lifetime MPG.

MPG before HM = ~33
MPG after HM = ~38

My 5 pillars of fuel efficiency:
  • driving style
  • aerodynamics
  • tires
  • weight reduction
  • engine maintenance
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-20-2008, 05:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ecoformance Engineer

EJ7 - '96 honda civic Hx
Last 3: 58.02 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by getnpsi View Post
I just put my combined down another mpg from 34 to 33. I didn't know there was a site that shows a combined mileage, i thought it was just something you figure out on paper, which was a 34 for me. ASSuming I drive 55% city and 45% highway i should arrive at a certain number. Well i know where and how i drive and i would say that is wrong as well. I deliver pizzas in this car, we are talking about 75% city. Knowing I never stay at 45-55 mph for any long stretch of time kills my mileage but here I am flirting with 40mpg so its a good ego boost to know if i did take a trip and draft a semi it would be way up there. My other car cant get to epa ratings old OR new unless I turn off the engine everywhere i can. I think the epa should be dropped another 5mpg for the neon.
Hmmm, recently with improving driving techniques my city has been killing my highway mileage. Drive it like a hybrid and you should get mpg's like a hybrid which typically have higher city numbers.

In between delivery's does your car stay pretty warm? Have your ever thought about a engine heater plugged in while @ work to keep everything toasty and ready to go?

70 mpg or die modding

www.full-race.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
looking forward to seeing what kind of uber-sipper slinks out of the full race skunkworks.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Red Egg - '95 Ford Aspire
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

Dodge SRT-4 - '04 Dodge Neon SRT-4 2.4L Turbo
90 day: 26.24 mpg (US)
Yes the car is warm between runs, and lucky for me when I leave the lot it's downhill so even when the car is cold i get to idle it, and aggressive P&G when it's warm. BTW its never under 60 degrees F often even in winter so adding extra things for the car is not necessary. My city mileage is probably not the same type of city driving as a large congested city but I do have to come to a stop many times even when it's just around the corner.
If I blew stop signs in 3rd gear 15mph my city mileage will improve but it would take years of doing that to save for the one time i get a ticket for it. This tiny engine is very load sensitive, the larger wheels and tires gave me gains on the hiway but the city suffered, when i went to honda civic's vx wheels the city mileage jumped up and the hwy was the same. High rpms low load doesnt affect it as much as other vehicles it appears. I have taken this car on a few trips 50+ in one direction but its not close to part of any routine I have.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

A few of my racer type honda owning friends would have more than one honda in the family...one would be gutted and engine swapped and the other one: "oh hell no im not touching that! It gets 30mpg driving WOT everywhere!" We all knew better back then but now that fuel has tripled and most of our incomes haven't, priorities are different.

I get to brag on the inside everyday I use the aspire over my other car. I'm saving about 10 gallons a week - a whole gas tank!
Old 07-21-2008, 05:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

EP3 - '03 Honda Civic Si
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)

Scooter - '93 Honda Elite 80
90 day: 74.87 mpg (US)

Ape - '07 Aprilia Sportcity 250ie
90 day: 66.97 mpg (US)
I could beat you but then when i slow down i get 35mpg lol. But thats the beauty in sporty econo cars, you can go fast when you need to and get good numbers when you don't.(when i add the 6th gear i'll get 40 mpg)
Old 07-21-2008, 06:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I thought about finding a hatch and doing a swap, then i remembered how many of them get pulled over and inspected for stolen/illegal parts in southern california. Id rather motor swap my aspire or festiva with a 125hp mazda engine and keep up easy with the hundreds of pounds difference. I can also leave said cars unlocked windows down and they will be left alone. Kids steal hondas more than just about everything out here.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ecoformance Engineer

EJ7 - '96 honda civic Hx
Last 3: 58.02 mpg (US)
Cali is rough on non-stock cars

but may be going down there soon to pick up a few dual stage vtec engines

What would you guys say about a custom de-stroked d16 block to 1.3 using a dual stage vtec head. The possibilities are endless but this is one cool idea we are working on.

70 mpg or die modding

www.full-race.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
looking forward to seeing what kind of uber-sipper slinks out of the full race skunkworks.

Last edited by Vince-HX; 07-21-2008 at 06:56 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread