Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2016, 12:15 PM   #71 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
blocked images

Bill - do you mind if I copy some/all of your photos to host them locally in this thread?

I got a report that some people can't view them because the hosting site is blocked at work.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-07-2016, 02:16 PM   #72 (permalink)
AeroGuy

Outback 14 - '14 Subaru Outback Limited
90 day: 23.1 mpg (US)
Excellent thread, that would be phenomenal if you got the Lexus dash to work inside the original bezel!
The Following User Says Thank You to eco_generator For This Useful Post:
Bill the Engineer (03-07-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 08:57 PM   #73 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Bill - do you mind if I copy some/all of your photos to host them locally in this thread?

I got a report that some people can't view them because the hosting site is blocked at work.
If they are already in this thread, are unmodified and the moderators approve, then it would be OK. Seems like a fair use as long as they aren't abused. That I wouldn't approve.

Bill the Engineer.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:15 PM   #74 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jray3 View Post
Bill, thanks to the photobucket links, we now have photographs of your past and present self, mwhahahaha...
so I've gotta ask- what was the aircooled VW creation with a huge trophy?

Great name for the project, and I must concur, you are engaged in one of the most noble forms of automotive recycling. Only thing better would've been a full electric tire-shredder! Please post more of those engineered drawings. My neighbor has 'taken a wedge out' of a basket-case Plymouth Fury and built a completely custom suspension and running gear for it over the past year, but it was all done by dead reckoning and the occasional tape measure. Your detailed planning is a thing to behold.
Yeah,well... at Christmas time all the little kids snap into their best behavior in the shopping malls if I am walking by and wearing red...

The man in the photo with the tall trophy is my late Dad. He was a vocational auto shop teacher and the creator of the "Little D" dragster back in the late 1960's. It is the chassis of an early 1960's VW shortened as far as it would go to still fit those drag slicks. It had large "wheelie wheels' behind the engine which were very necessary since you could drive it across a parking lot with the front wheels in the air. I'm not sure if it still exists or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of his former students bought it when he retired.

More on the drawings and how I generated them when I continue the story of the build in later posts. Here is a hint.

As for the full electric tire shredder, when the Firebrid is done, my wife wants me to build a full electric BMW Z3 for her. :-)

Bill the Engineer
Old 03-07-2016, 11:16 PM   #75 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

One thing that's been kicking around in my head; what's the approximate weight of all the metal you've cut off the Prius and the approximate weight of the Firebird shell going on? I do know that the curb weight of the Prius is close to that of the original Firebird (3,274 vs. 3390 for a hardtop car). The reason I ask is in regards to the brakes on the Prius. If the weight of what came off and what's going on is close to the same, I know there shouldn't be an issue. However, if the Firebird shell is heavier, I would think an upgrade would be in order. Since I know so little about the Prius platform, does anyone even make a brake upgrade kit for one?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HillbillySailor For This Useful Post:
Bill the Engineer (03-07-2016), Xist (03-08-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 11:41 PM   #76 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillySailor View Post
One thing that's been kicking around in my head; what's the approximate weight of all the metal you've cut off the Prius and the approximate weight of the Firebird shell going on? I do know that the curb weight of the Prius is close to that of the original Firebird (3,274 vs. 3390 for a hardtop car). The reason I ask is in regards to the brakes on the Prius. If the weight of what came off and what's going on is close to the same, I know there shouldn't be an issue. However, if the Firebird shell is heavier, I would think an upgrade would be in order. Since I know so little about the Prius platform, does anyone even make a brake upgrade kit for one?
The scrap bucket is way too heavy to lift, and that doesn't even include the larger cut off pieces sitting in the storage garage. A while back I did a rough calculation and it looks like the finished car will only gain a modest amount of weight in total, less than my 300 pound son who will no longer be able to fit in the elevated rear seat (unless the top is down.) The rear seat will be about 18 inches higher because the hybrid battery will be moved under it to get it out of the drip area around the convertible top.

As for braking, please remember that most of the braking on the Prius V when driven correctly is done by the drive motors pumping energy back into the traction battery. The mechanical brakes only apply as you come to a final stop or smash hard on the brake pedal. My two daily driver Prii have 128,000 and 67,000 miles on them, and have never needed the brake pads/shoes replaced. (Unadvertised feature of regenerative braking.)

Bill the Engineer
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill the Engineer For This Useful Post:
HillbillySailor (03-07-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 11:56 PM   #77 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Gotcha. I know next to nothing about the braking system of a Prius. I was thinking from a traditional braking perspective. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:21 AM   #78 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
The rear seats will be raised a foot and a half? What are those, car seats for ants?!
Old 03-08-2016, 08:42 AM   #79 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Crimson Crawler - '04 Hyundai Elantra GLS
90 day: 36.71 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Engineer View Post
As for the full electric tire shredder, when the Firebrid is done, my wife wants me to build a full electric BMW Z3 for her. :-)

Bill the Engineer
Please let it be a vert, or a restored coupe that was damaged! Don't tear up one of the few remaining Z3 coupes, as much as I'd love to see one electric!

I wouldn't hold it against you if you did, but by comparison, the total production of Z3 Coupes is 2858 - making the 15 thousand Firebird verts looks easy to find!
Old 03-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #80 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Raising the seat a foot and a half, hmm. I imagine there will be a little trimming of the back portion of the seat!

The Following User Says Thank You to HillbillySailor For This Useful Post:
Bill the Engineer (03-09-2016)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
convertible, firebird, firebrid, hybrid