Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2015, 08:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
VERY professional looking workmanship!

Q: what was the total vehicle weight with motor & batteries vs. original ICE?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-20-2015, 09:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
VERY professional looking workmanship!

Q: what was the total vehicle weight with motor & batteries vs. original ICE?
I never weighed this rig before I converted it, but I think they usually weigh in around 1850 to 1900 lbs stock. I have added a couple hundred pounds to it, and it is closer to 2200 lbs now.
The Following User Says Thank You to EVmetro For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-16-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 09:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
I have a question... how does CARB deal with your conversions? Since the cars still have the same VIN, your registration renewal pals in the state government would expect you to have an ICE and require a smog test, no? Did you have to apply for some sort of certification? Costly?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I have a question... how does CARB deal with your conversions? Since the cars still have the same VIN, your registration renewal pals in the state government would expect you to have an ICE and require a smog test, no? Did you have to apply for some sort of certification? Costly?
It is actually a pretty smooth change with the dmv. I just call and schedule an appointment with a smog referee. At the inspection appointment, the referee walks around and verifies that there is no place to add fuel, no generator, and that the vehicle is pure electric. Once he is satisfied that it is a pure electric, he prints out a smog certificate that looks just like the ones that you pay for every couple of years on your ICE vehicle. This one is free, and the smog referee updates the dmv system that this car is an EV. It says EV on the smog certificate, and dmv never asks for smog checks, ever. Exempt. Then you just keep paying your regular registration fees like any other car.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EVmetro For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-16-2015), California98Civic (02-21-2015), Insight for life (02-21-2015)
Old 02-21-2015, 06:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
What about the specs speed, range, cost and hours to build?
Old 02-21-2015, 11:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
What about the specs speed, range, cost and hours to build?
Lol... The answer to all of the above is "lots".

I run it up to 100 mph often. When I was building this, I was viewing a lot of conversions on evalbum, and often saw an owner say " I have had it up to 65, but my calculations show that it will go a lot faster". To me, a car does not go a certain speed unless you have actually done it.

As for range, I have pushed it to the 100 miles goal, but that is indeed pushing it and watching my battery gauges with lots of concern. That is also keeping it between 55 and 60, flat sacramento valley. 90 miles is my comfort zone.

Cost has not really been tallied up, but should come in above 30k. There is quite a bit more in this EV than just the conversion costs, since the chassis has been restored as well.

This project was over 1000 hours of build time, and a whole lot more learning the principles of electricity and physics.
aerohead (04-16-2015)
Old 02-21-2015, 12:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
I wish CARB would give a project like this a HOV "ok" sticker for the bumper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVmetro View Post
... Cost has not really been tallied up, but should come in above 30k. There is quite a bit more in this EV than just the conversion costs, since the chassis has been restored as well.

This project was over 1000 hours of build time, and a whole lot more learning the principles of electricity and physics.
I would imagine that a more basic conversion could be accomplished for under $10K, no? And a lot less than a 1000 hours, I hope.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post

I would imagine that a more basic conversion could be accomplished for under $10K, no? And a lot less than a 1000 hours, I hope.
Yea, building an EV is like building a hotrod. You can spend $3k but you can also spend $250k. One does not need to restore the car, or drive 100 miles either. I do inexpensive conversions, high dollar conversions, and anything in between. In general, you get what you pay for. The best value is do do your own conversion work; sweat labor...
Old 02-21-2015, 10:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
The nicest Metro I've ever seen on the streets was metallic blue with those wheels, probably the same as the 'sister car'.

How many conversions have you done, over how many years? What performance would you expect with a 68hp/50Kw 10,000rpm single speed AC motor?
Old 02-22-2015, 11:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The nicest Metro I've ever seen on the streets was metallic blue with those wheels, probably the same as the 'sister car'.

How many conversions have you done, over how many years? What performance would you expect with a 68hp/50Kw 10,000rpm single speed AC motor?
68HP is about what a stock gasoline powered Metro comes with, and I would think that single speed would be a bit of a problem. The torque would probably be more than the ICE motor, but I would want a transmission. I run the factory 5 speed in this rig, and this is a 70Kw set up.

freebeard (02-22-2015)
Reply  Post New Thread