Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2016, 09:39 AM   #51 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.62 mpg (US)
I swear, I wish I could afford one of these. The build quality is off the charts.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-29-2016, 08:42 PM   #52 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Most of the ones that have never seen a Metro that clean won't know what they are looking at and the ones that do would probably appreciate a nice set of bubble skirts.

Any chance the Cadillac is a 1948 Sedanette? Or a 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham?
It is a 94 Eldorado. I will do a build thread on this forum when I get a chance, but here is my build thread for it at diy electric car.

Cadillac Eldorado - DIY Electric Car Forums

It is a luxury car, but could still make sense on this forum since a fill up is still less than 5 bucks...
The Following User Says Thank You to EVmetro For This Useful Post:
freebeard (04-30-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 08:47 PM   #53 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVmetro View Post
It is a 94 Eldorado... It is a luxury car, but could still make sense on this forum since a fill up is still less than 5 bucks...
And since it is an eco transformation of a gas guzzler (especially since you are in Cali where the power generation system is greener than Kentucky). ... "greener than Kentucky" could be a good "greenwashing" tagline.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:51 AM   #54 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,572 Times in 7,058 Posts
Eldorado in 1994 wasn't even on my radar. But I fully support the decision. As well as Neil Young's Lincoln Continental retractable hardtop. I just hope it hasn't got the faux convertible vinyl top.

I have only read the first three posts in your build thread, but I'll get to it. This is probably late for this Cadillac, but in the current EVTV episode (Youtube or evtv.me) at 16:28 they discuss the Torquetrends 2:1 planetary reduction box. It's splined for a Siemens or UQM motor on one end and has a driveshaft yoke on the other (held on by a grade-8 bolt so you can match the driveshaft.

It's a spendy part, but they point out you'll spend 2/5 the price for a custom adapter plate anyway. They do an interesting tear-down.

I suppose the '94 is FWD anyway.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:53 PM   #55 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

I suppose the '94 is FWD anyway.
This one started life as a FWD, but is not anymore. That build thread documents the independent rear suspension being swapped out with an IRS from a Lincoln mark 8 rear wheel drive. It is now a mid engine (motor) mix of ford and chevy.
freebeard (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 10:01 PM   #56 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,572 Times in 7,058 Posts
I caught up on the DIYelectric thread. Awesome work. I was happy for you when you borrowed the Tesla vacuum pump detail. OTOH it confirms my first conversion should in fact be a single speed, without air conditioning.

Speaking of which, there isn't a build thread yet, but I'm collecting parts. The Toyota MGR thread had sputtered to a stop, but I added a post.

If you wouldn't mind taking a look, I'd be interested in your opinion.

My goal is to complete at least the mounts and axle conversion. I just think the physical fit should be demonstrated to get people away from hanging a 200lb motor on the VW transaxle. There're newer units in the 2017 Acura MDX and some Honda that have torque vectoring.

Thank you for your attention.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:07 PM   #57 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Here is the front bumper build sequence. I cut out a nice curve for the lower lip out of some MDF, and clamped it where I wanted it, roughly 3 inches lower than the bottom of the original bumper. I then stretched 2 inch yellow masking tape over the original bumper, and bridged the gap down to my wood cut out at the bottom. If you look really close, you can see that I also taped in a metal rectangle that was a little bigger than my license plate.

The original bumper was the same style as this bumper on another one of my Metros. I just stretched the tap over the original air openings, and used it for a mold.

I sprayed my tape with some mold release spray, and coated everything with fiberglass resin and cloth. Here it is after I popped it off of the tape.

I had to block it out, apply body filler, and then block out the body filler to get it how I wanted it.

I also had to mount it and fine tune how it would fit, so that it would look good. The gap between the hood and the bumper was filled in, so I could block air from entering that grill opening. The opening used to go from the hood all the way down to the main part of the bumper.

I had to prime it as well.

Might have made me a two piece mold, but that is top secret.

And of course, some pretty paint...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EVmetro For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (05-26-2016), freebeard (05-26-2016), Xist (05-26-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 03:10 PM   #58 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Doin' it right.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:30 PM   #59 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Doin' it right.
Thanks. It was a beater when I bought it, 280,000 miles on the odometer, non runner. Here is when I pulled the gasoline stuff out.

It did not come blue under the hood either, so I had to prime, prep, and paint all that too.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:38 PM   #60 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

How to tell if somebody loves Metros:

freebeard (05-26-2016)
Reply  Post New Thread