Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2024, 10:14 AM   #141 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Zevo done to 48"

UPDATE: The structure is done to 4' behind the rear bumper. Top and sides are all 11-12 degrees. Floor is foam and close to air tight.

I plan on adding tail lights and going 2 more feet in the next couple of days. Yesterday was too windy to test. I am heading out in an hour for a 60 mile test.

JSH suggested the VGs may be hurting. I removed one easily. I may remove them all.

I still need to improve the upper corners. Then add the 24" of twin wall polycarbonate to the tail. Should happen in the next 2 days.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240825_161850613_HDR.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	35051   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240825_161900625_HDR.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	35052   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240825_161912538_HDR.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	35053   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240825_161938789_HDR.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	35054  
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnForde For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-26-2024)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-26-2024, 10:21 AM   #142 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,026 Posts
Seems a shame to have this extra length and not be able to use it. Any plans on making it functional?
Old 08-26-2024, 10:25 AM   #143 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,324 Times in 4,732 Posts
' percentage.... Morelli '

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I do not think that percentage means what you think it does (that's three orders of magnitude). Or maybe it's the conjunction [by] vs [to].

I'd say to 125%. The case of a Porsche ducktail is different to a box van.

Remember your Morelli's 'Fluid Tail' thread?

Blown rear wheelwells FTW.
1) I made my best WAG, applied the 'expert's' project estimation correction factor, which put the curved panel man-hours at over 900%, compared to 'straight.'
2) Since most members who visit this forum are math-averse, I just rounded-up to 1,000 %, so as not to confuse, and scare people off.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3) I read your 125% thesis. I've been 'constructing' since kindergarten. I'm very interested in fabrication. I pay attention to 'approaches.' I've never observed, heard about, or read about anyone ever 'doing' what you've proposed, so I'm not aware that there's any efficacy to your technique. Perhaps they sell types of plywood in the Pacific Northwest that I've never experienced.
4) I'll stick to my 1,000% estimate.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5) As to the 'Duckbill' spoiler, it is exactly germane to the ZEVO boat tail, since this always has to do with boundary-layer theory. All 'aerodynamics' revolves around it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6) What is it that I want to think about in relation to Morelli's 'fluid tail' ? It has no bearing on what John is willing to do on the ZEVO.

Last edited by aerohead; 08-26-2024 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: typo
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
freebeard (08-26-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 10:39 AM   #144 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Seems a shame to have this extra length and not be able to use it. Any plans on making it functional?
Functional as in storage? Weight is a major consideration. I already have 2 e-bikes inside. Maybe next year I will consider how to install a strong floor, but it also needs to be able to retract to get at level 3 chargers with 72" cords.

Current design functions great as a veranda with the 60"W roll up door open - sun & rain shelter. Down the road I will considering splaying it wider
aerohead (08-26-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 10:42 AM   #145 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Plan for last 24".

The 'wake area' width has been reduced from 84" to 48"

Including the top the recovered attached flow should now be just about 50%, at least above the bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-08-25 at 6.52.02 PM.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	35055  

Last edited by JohnForde; 08-26-2024 at 10:47 AM..
aerohead (08-26-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 10:53 AM   #146 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

' VGs 'hurting '

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnForde View Post
UPDATE: The structure is done to 4' behind the rear bumper. Top and sides are all 11-12 degrees. Floor is foam and close to air tight.

I plan on adding tail lights and going 2 more feet in the next couple of days. Yesterday was too windy to test. I am heading out in an hour for a 60 mile test.

JSH suggested the VGs may be hurting. I removed one easily. I may remove them all.

I still need to improve the upper corners. Then add the 24" of twin wall polycarbonate to the tail. Should happen in the next 2 days.
1) Pressure drag reduction is what's in the cross-hairs.
2) It depends on base pressure.
3) The base pressure is dependent upon the static pressure which exists at the separation line.
4) VGs 'lower pressure'.
5) Without the whale tail, the VGs would essentially be 'right at' the separation line. And lowering pressure 'there' would be antithetical to drag reduction.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6) With the VGs in place, they might act as an 'insurance policy' as far as flow attachment 'down' the whale tail is concerned. Since they're already in place, you might consider leaving them, at least until you make at least one test run, giving you 'data' for future comparison.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7) If the 24-inch extension causes the 'floor' to end right where the side panel's lower 'angled' intersection is, that would be great, taking maximum advantage of available pressure recovery.
Travel safe. Have fun!
Old 08-26-2024, 11:23 AM   #147 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
1) Pressure drag reduction is what's in the cross-hairs.
2) It depends on base pressure.
3) The base pressure is dependent upon the static pressure which exists at the separation line.
4) VGs 'lower pressure'.
5) Without the whale tail, the VGs would essentially be 'right at' the separation line. And lowering pressure 'there' would be antithetical to drag reduction.
6) With the VGs in place, they might act as an 'insurance policy' as far as flow attachment 'down' the whale tail is concerned. Since they're already in place, you might consider leaving them, at least until you make at least one test run, giving you 'data' for future comparison.
7) If the 24-inch extension causes the 'floor' to end right where the side panel's lower 'angled' intersection is, that would be great, taking maximum advantage of available pressure recovery.
Travel safe. Have fun!
Thanks Aerohead! I was hoping you would weigh in this morning. I will leave the VGs for now.

Are you saying the 24" extension should not have a floor? That would be easier although I do have a plan to install a large piece of coroplast as the floor from 48" - 72".
aerohead (08-26-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 11:44 AM   #148 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

floor '

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnForde View Post
Thanks Aerohead! I was hoping you would weigh in this morning. I will leave the VGs for now.

Are you saying the 24" extension should not have a floor? That would be easier although I do have a plan to install a large piece of coroplast as the floor from 48" - 72".
Presently, from your photos, the trailing edge of the floor is about 6-inches above the 'upper' edge 'corner' of the side panels, where the 'vertical' edge meets the 'angled' edge.
To take full advantage of the side panel pressure recovery, you'd want the floor to match that 'corner.'
It looks like, when you've added the extra 2-feet of side panel, that if you extend the existing 'floor', it 'WILL' intercept that new 'corner.'
That would be 'optimum.'
Old 08-26-2024, 01:09 PM   #149 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Presently, from your photos, the trailing edge of the floor is about 6-inches above the 'upper' edge 'corner' of the side panels, where the 'vertical' edge meets the 'angled' edge.
To take full advantage of the side panel pressure recovery, you'd want the floor to match that 'corner.'
It looks like, when you've added the extra 2-feet of side panel, that if you extend the existing 'floor', it 'WILL' intercept that new 'corner.'
That would be 'optimum.'
Thanks Aerohead! THAT'S THE PLAN!
Old 08-26-2024, 02:42 PM   #150 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,818 Times in 7,275 Posts
Skegs and fences?

How's the departure angle?

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
brightdrop, electric van, zevo