Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
I hope to not offend any prius owners, but where I come from, the prius is a smug mobile so people can "be better for the environment" and because enviro is the new cool.

The people I Know deiving them don't drive them efficiently, they drive like a stop and go switch. I think this is for a stop and go switch set of drivers, most, not for people like us, and the true hyper milers. I mean as one can see, we here can drive other cars more efficiently than that, with worse ratings. Plus, how are those ratings established?

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I agree, for many but not all a Prius is a smugmobile and they are driven very poorly but the upside is many of those people probably went from giant SUVs to Prii; the net result is an improvement I guess.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2003 Ninja EX250 - '03 Kawasaki Ninja EX250
90 day: 78.57 mpg (US)

Saturn - '99 Saturn SL1 Base
90 day: 47.27 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I hope to not offend any prius owners, but where I come from, the prius is a smug mobile so people can "be better for the environment" and because enviro is the new cool.

The people I Know deiving them don't drive them efficiently, they drive like a stop and go switch. I think this is for a stop and go switch set of drivers, most, not for people like us, and the true hyper milers. I mean as one can see, we here can drive other cars more efficiently than that, with worse ratings. Plus, how are those ratings established?
The prius is designed to remove the inefficiency behind the wheel.

I manually do what the Prius does electronically.

If you have to use your brakes, you are driving too fast!

My 101.5 MPG 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Crude Oil Price Today
Old 08-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I agree, for many but not all a Prius is a smugmobile and they are driven very poorly but the upside is many of those people probably went from giant SUVs to Prii; the net result is an improvement I guess.
My meaning exactly. I couln't say that about anyone here, because they are actively working on improving driving/aero. I remember an older interview from Top Gear, with Jay Leno about the Prius being a fashion statement. "in the US, everyone should know the good work we are doing annonymously."

My old roommates sig. Other just bought a new Prius C because the fuel savings paid for the vehicle, and it's amazing how many improvements they leave open for advances. But I guess when you build the perfect car, you're done building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmeebryan View Post
The prius is designed to remove the inefficiency behind the wheel.

I manually do what the Prius does electronically.
That's how I see it. When a Prius out accelerates me, or passes me, I just wonder if they are averaging over 40...either way, my choice makes me happy.

I really look forward to these. I hope they can be reasonably priced. At the NAIAS and CLE AS, they had stripped out Fiestas with standards for just under 15, I believe. Seems like a smart buy for cheap and cheerful.

Best Tanks:
Old 08-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Not sure what there is to be down on with this engine. Ford has created a winner with their F150 Ecoboost. The turbo is like displacement on demand which cant be a bad thing with a 1L engine. Only downfall I can see is the initial cost of adding the turbo.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Whitey - '10 Ford Ranger XL
Pickups
90 day: 33.74 mpg (US)

Hershey - '13 Nissan Altima SL
90 day: 28.68 mpg (US)

Midas - '10 Toyota Prius two
Anybody notice that it has the best power density (hp/displacement) than any production Ford in history? The European 98hp model would be best, but Americans are getting the 123hp model. That's over 100hp for 1 liter of engine! Plus the ST department has a 177hp model cooking off.

So let's see:
Variable intake cam timing is good for FE
Variable exhaust cam timing is good for FE
Variable valve lift is good for FE
Smaller displacement and fewer cylinders is good for FE
A low inertia turbo can be good for FE

All these improvements to the ICE should make hybrids better eventually. All I see are pluses.

Check out my facebook page, if you feel like watching my progress.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MPGran...007268?sk=wall
Old 08-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I think the best power density was the Honda S2000 (I know not a Ford) engine and it was naturally aspirated.

The ecoboost 1 liter is a engineering tour de force. It's all CAST IRON? Why? Because it dissipates heat more slowly. The exhaust manifold is integral with the cylinder head and the turbo is in the manifold. No gasket to blow there.

Dual independently variable camshafts. There is all kinds of crazy stuff you can do with camshafts when you can advance or retard them individually. With variable lift you could even eliminate compression during DFCO, at least theoretically, eliminating compression braking in an auto trans car.

Ford and the UAW really turned me off to their products in 1973 when I was working at a Lincoln Mercury dealership and saw Union sabotage before a strike (first hand witness).

I stayed away from Ford until I got my Fiesta this year, except for the 99 Pickup I bought to build a house and sold as soon as it was finished. I was not real impressed with the truck when I dumped the original oil out of the crankcase and saw chunks of metal in the drain pan, also on the second oil change.

I think Ford has really turned around it's act, and if they keep it up my next car may well be a Fiesta with the ecoboost engine. If they build a coupe that is light and has a decent 6 speed (manual or auto), I think it could hit 60 highway, compared to high forties in my 1.6 powershift.

Heck, I would like to see them eliminate head gaskets.

regards
Mech
Old 08-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Whitey - '10 Ford Ranger XL
Pickups
90 day: 33.74 mpg (US)

Hershey - '13 Nissan Altima SL
90 day: 28.68 mpg (US)

Midas - '10 Toyota Prius two
you forgot the exhaust headers having a coolant loop because it was cast in, instead of just the exhaust valve.

Imagine what kind of FE this engine could get with a good CVT. Like the Mazda Skyactiv 1.3L engine with a 14:1 compression on 87 octane without 4-2-1 headers. I really like the volcano piston head on the Skyactiv.

Check out my facebook page, if you feel like watching my progress.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MPGran...007268?sk=wall
Old 08-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

I like the 3.5 ecoboost, 368 hp, dual turbos. A Ford magazine I got long ago said all ecoboosts would be twin turbo, one low and one high. Eother they changed the plan, only meant it for the 6, or it was too costly for a three cylinder.

I wonder about turbo and super charging...

I wish I was more educated on exact engine functions and parts.

Best Tanks:
Old 08-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Yeah, this is pathetic technology for technology's sake. The naturally aspirated 2.0 already in the Focus is more efficient and more powerful.
Not really.
These are powerful engines for their displacement - but they're really efficient when you don't go near that power because you don't need it.

The turbo (and twin turbos on bigger, though similar engine concepts) is what makes them develop diesel-like torque at diesel-like rpm - below 200rpm !
And it comes with diesel-like fuel consumption from a gasser.

Quote:
This 1.0 rattle can is for the eco freak feel good crowd that likes to show off and not much else.
Show off, in the US, with a 1L triple engine ?
You run more risk of being the laughing stock ...

These engines are all that's needed, and the extra oomph is there in order not to scare away the customers.

In the Fiesta, it has all the merits to become the new Metro.

Quote:
Anyone want to take bets on how long before the oil lubricated timing BELT becomes a class action nightmare?
Why should it ?
Ford has plenty of experience with belts in their (and PSA) diesels.

The one in my car (110 HP and half again as much torque than the 1L Ecoboost) is rated for 240.000 km or 150.000 miles, and despite all other issues with the engines, there are no problems with the belt.

These cars are what ecomodders have been asking for in new cars, or have been searching for in ancient cars.
The weight-increase trend is reversed, engine size is reduced.

The F150 Ecoboost challenge has shown what the technology can do, I'd love to see PaleMelanesian get his hypermiling hands on one of them.

Last edited by euromodder; 08-07-2012 at 01:40 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread