Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2008, 07:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

you can try this link too: http://www.free-energy-info.co.uk/Smack.html

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-24-2008, 01:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox
I believe that the current market HAFC (Hydro Assist Fuel Cell, a commercial unit) is currently making somewhere around 60 L/hr @ 15 amps.
I actually ordered, installed and tuned the HAFC system.

It's been giving me some trouble but on my best test, not a very scientific one I guess, I filled up my tank, drove 48.9 miles at 55 MPH and refilled my tank. The second refueling only took .604 gallons of gas. Granted this was at two different stations so there is a possibility of a good deal of variation, but assuming both pumps, set at the slowest setting, would click at about the same point, that trip gave me more than 82 MPG.

I've since not been able to replicate those results. As I said, the system is a bit of a pain and my ECM doesn't like it. You can check out my whole process on http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/gen...e-mileage.html

That's where I have been reporting my procedures and results but I have been met with almost nothing but negativity throughout, once I proved the system worked. That's why I left for here.

Has anyone else been messing with this or a similar system lately?
Old 04-24-2008, 02:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
I know that Doax has been playing with a setup that adds hydrogen gas to the fuel mix.

Not sure how far he has gotten with it yet.

I am also interested in using some sort of a similar system, but want to trade-in for a small manual transmission car first, and work on getting better economy with the simiple things first.

After that, I don't see why a Festiva couldn't get 100mpg with such a system.

Would be great to get some more accurate gas vs. hydro economy numbers. Maybe just running a full tank on gas and a full tank on the hydrogen mix and see how many miles you can go.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Old 04-24-2008, 02:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
I'm not as much 'working on' as 'would like to be working on' unfortunately. My second job is killing my free time, and will hopefully be over real soon.

I have read up on hydrogen injection quite a bit and have talked with the guy who helped design some of the HAFC system. He is a very knowledgable engine builder that helped DiamondLarry get the 60+ mpg out of his Saturn.

I quickly read through your post on the other forum. You really need to run through at least a half tank to see what is going on. I've heard pump to pump variations can be as much as .5 gallons, so your numbers you have now are pretty much useless as proof. If your still having problems with tuning you need to go back to the tuner and have him fix it. No offense, but you do not know enough to get it to run properly. Lean burn conditions create mixtures that are very hard to ignite properly. You may have to go with a smaller spark plug gap to fix this. Your tuner should really know all this already though. Have you contacted him since you had it tuned the first time?

BTW, welcome to the site.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Anyone know why this site keeps telling me I can't post?
I keep logging in and being redirected to the log in page again and again.
I finally got in by switching from IE to Firefox and trying a half dozen times with that browser.

Anyway, yes, I have talked to my tuner. He suggested testing the grounds against chassis ground from my ECM as well as the optimizer computer. I'm gonna try and do that over the weekend maybe if I feel like it. It's a lot of tedious work though that I may not feel like doing haha.

Also, I think I'm going to try tuning in IM test mode, which allegedly gets the ECM accustomed to the HAFC, then switch it to normal mode, which allegedly will then keep the mileage consistent. I will probably try that before testing all the grounds but a ground problem would probably explain a few other problems I've had before even installing the system.

Once I get this running well on some short mileage tests I'll try and do a longer one. Problem is I can't really tell when I'm at half a tank. My fuel gauge doesn't work for some reason. I always just go by the trip odometer but with my mileage being as out of whack, good or bad, as it is that's not a very good method. I have a scangauge II but I'm not sure if that calculates the fuel in the tank or actually reads it from the sensor input, which may be busted anyway. Advance Auto tells me the fuel lever sender is a dealer part though so I've been hesitant to get it fixed knowing the cost it could incur.

BTW thanks man.
>Dave
Old 04-24-2008, 04:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazesay View Post
Anyone know why this site keeps telling me I can't post?
I keep logging in and being redirected to the log in page again and again.
I finally got in by switching from IE to Firefox and trying a half dozen times with that browser.
Do you have cookies enabled? That's the first thing that comes to mind. I'd suggest clearing your cookies, closing the browser and logging in again. Make sure you check the "remember me" box before you actually log in.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 04-24-2008, 06:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ok thanks man.

I must admit I feel kind of out of place here with my honking 2.4L engine, even if it is a four cylinder, and all the extra weight I keep in my car at most times.

I do love small cars but still crave a bit of acceleration every now and then.

I'd love to put a small hydro assisted 6 cylinder in something like a Festiva and enjoy the best of both worlds. It'd be crazy. 12 inch stock rims... wow.

I'll keep you guys posted on how things are going, and once it's more consistent I'll try that 90 day mileage test you guys all have under your names. I'll get the details on that later.

>Dave

Reply  Post New Thread