Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #311 (permalink)
T-100 Road Warrior

BZP T-100 (2010) - '98 Toyota T-100 ext cab - 3.4L/auto SR5
Last 3: 24 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2011) - '98 Toyota T-100 ext cab - 3.4L/auto SR5
Last 3: 23.66 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2009) - '98 Toyota T-100 ext cab - 3.4L/auto SR5
Last 3: 19.01 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2012) - '98 Toyota T-100 ext cab - 3.4L/auto SR5
Last 3: 25.45 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2013) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
Last 3: 25.79 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2014) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
Last 3: 23.18 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2015) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
Last 3: 23.85 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2016) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
Last 3: 17.62 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2017) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
90 day: 20.78 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2018) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)

BZP T-100 (2019) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5

BZP T-100 (2020) - '98 Toyota T-100 SR5

2012 Scion iQ - '12 Scion iQ Base
Thanked 1,395 Times in 968 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to BamZipPow
These are the other single trailer links...
Welcome to Single Wheel.com
Swivel Wheel Trailers ATV RV Golf Cart Trailer Motorcycle Trailer Sale
The ultimate single wheel trailer system.
Swivelwheel Trailers
Double-Hitch

The Following User Says Thank You to BamZipPow For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-18-2021)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #312 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
gapless trailer?

I imagine that if you make sure the hitch paneling starts at a set distance from the hook, and the paneling on the tow vehicle stays precisely within that distance, they can be very close together without ever touching.
The divide would be at the surface of an imaginary sphere of which the hitch point is the center.
A gap that small would not disturb the airflow much, and you would not need flexible gap fillers at all.

It does not have to cover the entire surface of the sphere; the plates just have to meet when going in a straight line, as when you're moving at speed it will always be in a straight line or very close to that.

I edited the picture to show what I mean.

The hitch point in read, hitch beam in blue, panel gap in black and imaginary sphere and radius in green.

The picture is quite crude, and cannot effectively show the sphere; but I hope it conveys my idea.
You'd choose the radius as small as possible, so that it just meets the furthest extremeties on the back of the tow vehicle to keep the extra paneling on that to a minimum.

Another view from above:

Tow vehicle and trailer are the black rectangles, the red lines are the additional side paneling.

As you can see this design allows the paneling to go straight from the tow vehicles side towards the trailer.
There needs to be a gap in the roof paneling too: following the surface of the sphere.

The only thing that disturbs it is the hitch beam, which has to enter the forbidden sphere. So the side paneling on the tow vehicle cannot cgo too low, or it would compromise tight cornering.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 09-03-2013 at 03:57 PM..
Old 09-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #313 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post

Another view from above:
It's kind of what I've been thinking about - only reversed.

You don't want a sphere at the rear of a vehicle - it'll add drag, and cause instability when fitted on a trailer.

Now, add the sphere on the trailer's front.
That'd be good for FE, even without gap filling panels.
In a simpler form and providing more internal space, it could just as well be a half cylinder with a slanted top rather than a sphere.

Add gap filling panels on the tow vehicle, and let them rest on the sphere
(tiny wheels on locally reinforced patches, teflon patches and half-spheres resting on / sliding over one another, ...) when driving straight & level.

On the towing vehicle, physical detents inboard of the panels, prevent the gap-filling panels from collapsing too far inboard for side-panels ,; or from dropping too low for the top panel.
The side-panels can probably also be the detents for the top panel.
Springs / bungees keep them resting on the sphere or on the detents.

In a level / straight config, the gaps should be minimal.
In a turn,
- the bungees should keep the inboard / top panel on the sphere
- the outboard panels can't move fully inboard, leaving a gap on that side, but that's not that much of an issue.

On the bottom, use a panel that's hinged at the tow vehicle, and connected with a bungee / spring on the trailer end .

Old 09-04-2013, 04:00 AM   #314 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
It's kind of what I've been thinking about - only reversed.

You don't want a sphere at the rear of a vehicle - it'll add drag, and cause instability when fitted on a trailer.

Now, add the sphere on the trailer's front.
That'd be good for FE, even without gap filling panels.
In a simpler form and providing more internal space, it could just as well be a half cylinder with a slanted top rather than a sphere...
I was not thinking of a real sphere. That is just the dividing 'line' (convex plane) between tow and trailer.
Just some panels outlining the sides and roof of the imaginary sphere would do.
The trailers side panels would be very close to that; that is the whole reason for this setup. So there should be no aerodynamic instability whatsoever.
Tow vehicle and trailer would form one body with just a very small gap in between.

The panels need to be removable or you would not be able to reach the hitch point.

The location of the sphere is solely dependant on the location of the hitch point.
With the hitch at the back the tow vehicle needs to stay within the sphere.
An overhead hitch point like a semi would allow for the front of the trailer bearing the sphere or have top and side panels reaching to the outline of the sphere, while the cabin would have the hollow end (or matching panels).

A close-fitting cylinder and countercylinder would work in corners on the flat, but hit each other when the road is not level, like concave or askew.
When the divide is a sphere around the hitch point they would never hit.

It is easy to determine where the gap should be - tie a rope to the hitch point, find what lenght you need to reach the outermost points of whatever needs to be within the sphere and cut the panels wherever you can stretch the rope for that length. Then hitch the trailer in line and fit the panels on precisely so that they just don't hit.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 09-04-2013 at 04:28 AM..
Old 09-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #315 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
sphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
I imagine that if you make sure the hitch paneling starts at a set distance from the hook, and the paneling on the tow vehicle stays precisely within that distance, they can be very close together without ever touching.
The divide would be at the surface of an imaginary sphere of which the hitch point is the center.
A gap that small would not disturb the airflow much, and you would not need flexible gap fillers at all.

It does not have to cover the entire surface of the sphere; the plates just have to meet when going in a straight line, as when you're moving at speed it will always be in a straight line or very close to that.

The hitch point in read, hitch beam in blue, panel gap in black and imaginary sphere and radius in green.

The picture is quite crude, and cannot effectively show the sphere; but I hope it conveys my idea.
You'd choose the radius as small as possible, so that it just meets the furthest extremeties on the back of the tow vehicle to keep the extra paneling on that to a minimum.

Another view from above:

Tow vehicle and trailer are the black rectangles, the red lines are the additional side paneling.

As you can see this design allows the paneling to go straight from the tow vehicles side towards the trailer.
There needs to be a gap in the roof paneling too: following the surface of the sphere.

The only thing that disturbs it is the hitch beam, which has to enter the forbidden sphere. So the side paneling on the tow vehicle cannot cgo too low, or it would compromise tight cornering.
The sphere is a good representation of the boundary from which all range of motion of each panel must respect.
I've ended up with quite the Rube Goldberg device but it's survived many thousands of real miles now.With simultaneous pitch,yaw,and roll it cannot bind.
A bulbous nose on my trailer would allow shorter,lighter panels.The lower inertia would be an improvement.
Perhaps this work-in-progress will get finished.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #316 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I live in Denton and have seen this truck before. I would like to meet you if possible. I drive an automatic 4 cyl. 2004 Kia Optima and would like to get into the ecomodder scene and I wanted to see what you think I should do to get started. I have thought about buying a smaller car but like my old Kia so I would rather just deal with what I already have. Let me know when you get a chance. I just need a bit of direction / advice. Thanks! Greg

Last edited by GregsGarage; 09-10-2013 at 11:28 PM..
Old 09-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #317 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

meet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregsGarage View Post
I live in Denton and have seen this truck before. I would like to meet you if possible. I drive an automatic 4 cyl. 2004 Kia Optima and would like to get into the ecomodder scene and I wanted to see what you think I should do to get started. I have thought about buying a smaller car but like my old Kia so I would rather just deal with what I already have. Let me know when you get a chance. I just need a bit of direction / advice. Thanks! Greg
Greg,I'll be at Copy-Pro,across from UNT,at Fry Street and Hickory,Saturday,between 11:00 am and 4:00 pm doing EcoModder.
Come by if you can,or send me a PM and we'll figure something out.
MetroMPG (09-11-2013), slowmover (09-16-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #318 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

micro-update

No real news.I'm to take it real easy for another month to give the September 21st abdominal surgery a fare break.
I'll be 6-months without income this year due to the T-100 breakdown,so any significant developments are pushed down the calendar as budget permits.
There's a bit of activity in Europe with trailers.Don Burr has sold over 3,000 teardrops and M.A.N. has a nice teardrop trailer as well.
Delft University has tested a tractor-semi-trailer boat tail of 78-inches.Their aerospace spin-off company has been purchased by WABCO if memory is correct and they're pursuing serious aerodynamic add-ons.
AT Dynamics 'Trailer Tail' is very active in Europe.
The manufacturers are trying to get EC length regulations at least as good as the USA or better.Presently,they're limited to 16.5-meters overall length.
I found a dated article about US manufacturing.It basically said that Trucking executives would spend millions on aero tractors,but nothing on aero trailers,so the trailer manufacturers essentially said to -ell with it all.
Bob Sliwa is America's lone-wolf with his up-coming "FUTURE" aero tractor/semi.
Trillions of dollars/Euros/etc. are at stake over the coming decades.It will be interesting to see where Bubba goes.

Last edited by aerohead; 10-24-2013 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: correct some data
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (10-25-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #319 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Woody - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 23.82 mpg (US)

Avion and Woody - '96 Dodge/Avion Ram 2500/5th wheel combo
90 day: 15.1 mpg (US)

TD eye eye eye - '03 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)

Mule - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 ST
Good to hear from you, and interesting news from across the pond.
I have not started anything new yet, nor finished my active grill system. I simply do not drive the truck enough.
I do have a plan for a proof of concept trailer for the Beetle, so I can test out some of the methods and materials for the big 5th wheel.
My take on the join between tow vehicle and trailer will take a different tack;
I will build a Kammback for starters on the Beetle, and a aero trailer with a power telescoping tongue.
I will be able to pull it up quite close and still navigate typical corners. I will use any additional fairings sparingly.

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with 6MT
2003 TDI Beetle
2002 TDI Beetle

currently parked - 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel
Custom cab, auto, 3.55 gears
The Following User Says Thank You to skyking For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-24-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #320 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Beetle 5th-wheel

That would be a fun project.
I have a 1950s clip of a tongue-pull telescoping-roof caravan behind a bug.
"The little engine that could!"
The modern water-cooled beast should be able to just 'shrug' with a smart trailer behind it.