Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
Builder

Progress

I have been out of town for the last week or so, so have not gotten a chance to play in the garage much. I have gotten a bit done on the connection between the "passenger compartment" and the "Power Unit". Remember, I am intending to play around with power units and want to have an easily swappable modularized unit. With this idea, I can build a completely different power unit while driving another unit. The urathane bushings are plenty stout, and give me four bolts to un-couple the engine from the passenger compartment. The bushings will also give me a bit of engine vibration dampening for the driver while allowing me to solid mount the engine in the frame. There will, of course, be other linkages as well, but I think I can engineer them to be quick disconnects. Goal is to be able to swap a power unit in under an hour.

Anyway, here are a couple (bad) pictures of the engine compartment connection.

TALON §

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EngineBayConnection1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	12668   Click image for larger version

Name:	EngineBayConnection2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	12669  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #22 (permalink)
Builder

LCA progress

I got the first of four A-Arms done this last week, a LCA. It came out of the jig pretty nicely, only about 1/64" from perfect, if I can get the other LCA this close I am good to go. The lowers are made from 3/4" extra heavy tube, which is the same as most aftermarket off-road pieces for full size trucks. The outboard end of the LCA is tapped for a 1/2 rod end and set at 10 degree of tip to match the KPI angle. I figure that the Lower Control Arms is one of those places I don't want to cut any corners on as far as strength goes. I'll sacrifice a bit of weight for stout. They are going to be exposed and flying down the road at 70 mph 6 inches from the ground. . .

There are some brake parts and spindles in the garage now as well, along with a bunch of "maybe" stuff, like e-brake handle, brake master cylinder (boosted), seat belts etc. The poor donor is looking kinda ratty now, and will get hauled off soon. I just need a few more parts from the front suspension.

I am going to try and use the rear spindles from the donor as front spindles. I'll need to fabricate knuckles to bolt the spindles on, but I think I can do that.

Anyway, here are a couple shots of the lone LCA that I completed.

TALON §
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LCA1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	12712   Click image for larger version

Name:	LCA2_Brake_Spindle_Parts.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	12713  
Old 03-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #23 (permalink)
Builder

Knuckle

I have been working on converting the rear stub-axles I have to be used as front knuckles/spindles. Here's what I came up with. I had originally thought to use spindles/knuckles from a rear wheel drive vehicle, but Jack McCornack mentioned that he was going to use stub axles and build the knuckles, so I am giving that a go. (cheaper too, I had the stubs on the donor and would have had to find/buy the others.)

These are build from a piece on 3x1 thin wall tube, with a 1.5 inch hole in one side for the back of the stub axle. the 4 mounting bolt holes are reinforces with pieces of tube tacked inside. The "kingpin" angle is 10 degrees. The angle is made from a piece of 3/4 square thin-wall tube, plated on both sides and capped. the ends of the 3x1 are capped with pieces of 3/4 square tube. 13 pieces of steel altogether. The weight is less than it looks, as it is completely hollow.

The two threaded bungs aren't welded on yet, but should be tonight, then it is on to the adjustable upper arms. Once that is done, I'll have a uni-roller! The other side should be a lot quicker, as I have the jigs done and all the head-scratching out of the way.

TALON §
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	knuckle1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	12727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Knuckle2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	12728  
Old 03-30-2013, 11:54 PM   #24 (permalink)
Builder

One front suspension side done

OK, Update time. I don't know if anyone is actually reading this, but I'm gonna continue to post updates anyway. Maybe when I get to the engine more people will be interested. I am doing a bunch of research on what I'm going to do on that end, and have narrowed it down to basically what I intend to do. It will be interesting. (think COP, ITB [possibly servo controlled], Megasquirt, bluetooth and Android touchscreen tablet interface.)

I need to get the chassis and running gear sorted out before any of that stuff means anything. If it don't roll easily and handle well, and if it isn't comfortable to drive - it won't get driven. If it doesn't get driven, it won't save any gas.

Take a look at the pictures of the first side of the front suspension. I just need to duplicate it on the other side now, which should be much easier as I now have the math sorted and the jigs made. (but running 7 - 2 inch deep, fine thread runs into the end of tubes takes time.) It came out pretty good and straight, all the angles are close and there is a couple inches of usable thread on all the joints for adjustment. The coil-over is just laying there, I'm not sure what the spring rate is on it, but I'll probably end up getting something else.

TALON §
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FrontSuspensionDetail.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	12808   Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontSuspensionOverall.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	12809   Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontSuspensionOverall2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	12810  
The Following User Says Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
a8ksh4 (05-06-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm interested--I like seeing your updates. It looks very cool so far.

I don't actually have anything to add, which is why I haven't replied before now.

-soD
Old 03-31-2013, 06:00 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Smurfer

Dime - '95 Chevy S10 LS ExtCab RWD
Pickups
90 day: 18.23 mpg (US)

G/A - '96 Pontiac Grand Am
Team Pontiac
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)
There are more of us interested than you realize. So many people on here are either building their own vehicles, or are constantly designing one in their heads. Look forward to seeing this project as it continues on.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #27 (permalink)
Builder

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm not alone in here!

Quick Question: electronically controller compression relief valves. Anybody know anything about them? Do they exist? I'm looking at something that would screw into a spark plug type hole into the combustion chamber. I see something kinda like what I'm looking for in big cube V twins to allow them to start. has anyone used them? is there any available that doesn't cost like an HD part? Let me know. . .

TALON
Old 04-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #28 (permalink)
Ecomodding Dabbler

LilRed - '03 Mazda Protege LX
90 day: 29.09 mpg (US)
Talon: Keep updating! I'd love to have the shop and skills to build up a custom frame and create a really unique vehicle! I don't as of now, so I lurk and experience it vicariously. Good luck with everything.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #29 (permalink)
Builder

Front suspension in Yellow

I got the second side of the front suspension fabricated, and even painted. I also have the front brake backing plates cleaned up and getting painted. Very soon I'll be able to put the front wheels on so I can see exactly how wide it is going to be. It looks like between 5'8" and 5'10" to the wheel centerline. Next step is I need to figure out the ackerman angle, which is going to be a guess at best, because I don't have the engine in yet, so I am guessing at the centerline of the rear axle. Maybe I'll figure out how to make the steering arms on the knuckles have a bit of adjustment. Then comes the steering rack and tie rods. Ow, I still need to sort out the front shock mounts too. Piece at a time I guess and eventually I'll have it.

I have been fiddling about with the seat belts as well, not sure what I'm going to do there, but I probably oughta have some. I have the shoulder straps from the donor, but I can't decide which way to mount the shoulder strap, like a passenger, or like a driver. Maybe I'll put them both on and switch off when one shoulder gets chaffed.

Here are a few shots of the front suspension from different angle, make sure you look at the car and not all the junk in my garage. . .
TALON
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FrontSuspensionYellow1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	12917   Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontSuspensionYellow2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	12918   Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontSuspensionYellowFront.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	12919  
Old 04-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Frogger - '00 Honda Insight Gas Only (unHybrid)
90 day: 68.51 mpg (US)
First time seeing this thread. This looks like an AWESOME project man! I can't wait to watch it's evolution on here.

Reply  Post New Thread