Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2010, 06:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Teresa - '04 BMW F650CS
Motorcycle
90 day: 80.53 mpg (US)

The YARDIS - '99 Toyota Yaris 1.0
90 day: 59.52 mpg (US)
That Magic Roundabout is a funny thing. Though it is logical and systematic, I'd surely get lost in it Man, those crazy English drive on the wrong side of the road to begin with

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-28-2010, 06:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Hypermiling rookie

Opel Corsa B - '96 Opel Corsa 1.2 8V
90 day: 47.27 mpg (US)

VW Bora 1.6 16V - '02 Volkswagen Bora/Jetta
90 day: 35.84 mpg (US)
he-he, it's not so hard, it took me about 10-20 minutes to get over the initial "shock" and 1-2 weeks to start doing things instinctively rather than by thinking when I started driving here in CY. And please, don't say bad things about traffic in England...In my personal opinion from what I've seen the UK is second only to Germany in road behaviorism. And yes they seem to be very passionate about roundabouts but not as much as the French where half of the world's roundabouts are located , about 30.000 of them, can't even fathom that.Haven't been to France yet though to experience all that twirling around

The best part to me is the safety, can't beat that...again a link to IIHS Click Here
....40% fewer vehicle collisions, 80% fewer injuries and 90% fewer serious injuries and fatalities (according to a study [15] of a sampling of roundabouts in the United States, when compared with the junctions they replaced
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvaro84 View Post
Man, those crazy English drive on the wrong side of the road to begin with
Theoretically speaking, left-hand traffic/driving does have a few advantages but not enough to say it's better...it's just different..

"It has been my observation that most people get ahead during the time that others waste" Henry Ford

Last edited by Laurentiu; 07-28-2010 at 06:33 PM..
Old 07-28-2010, 06:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Teresa - '04 BMW F650CS
Motorcycle

I was joking of course

What would be really bad is switching sides... I don't want to cross borders with different handed driving on the two sides too often...
Old 07-28-2010, 07:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Hypermiling rookie

Opel Corsa B - '96 Opel Corsa 1.2 8V
90 day: 47.27 mpg (US)

VW Bora 1.6 16V - '02 Volkswagen Bora/Jetta
90 day: 35.84 mpg (US)
There's aren't much places near us where that can be encountered:
Changing sides at border

BTW, Hungary was with Czechoslovakia the last country in mainland Europe to drive on the left switching in 1939 when Germany invaded. Your grandparents probably drove on the "wrong" side

"It has been my observation that most people get ahead during the time that others waste" Henry Ford
Old 07-28-2010, 07:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Teresa - '04 BMW F650CS
Motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentiu View Post
BTW, Hungary was with Czechoslovakia the last country in mainland Europe to drive on the left switching in 1939 when Germany invaded. Your grandparents probably drove on the "wrong" side
I can't imagine why did they that

Anyway, it's almost new to me. I've already read about it, but totally forgot later
Old 07-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
My favorites are the giant billboards and electronic signs that espouse safe driving, while distracting drivers from it.

AdFreak: Don't drive distracted, says distracting ad

Old 07-29-2010, 02:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Was it in Bucharest by any chance ?
We didn't go that far south, maybe next year? This was in a small village near Fagaras. The lady (in an old Dacia, of course) went against the flow with such ease and grace as if:
  • She did it all the time,
  • There shouldn't be anyone else on the intersection,
  • She didn't even swerve to miss me, as if she didn't notice me!!

Quote:
For real adrenaline though, have to go to places like Sao Paolo, Brazil, any mega-city in Asia, Moscow...too bad we don't have any "comrade" from Russia to tell us tales from Moscow's streets
I once asked a Russian about traffic differences between his homeland and Western Europe:
  • Traffic laws? What traffic laws?
  • The first, and only, time he saw lanes painted on the pavement was in the center of Moscow. Outside of the capital there are no lanes, no dividing lines, no traffic signs.
  • Roads are just a bunch of holes. If you're lucky, there is some pavement between holes. If you're less lucky, you won't be able to get out of a pothole.
  • As if traffic jams in Moscow aren't bad enough already, rich businessmen pay to have emergency lights on their limos. Even other emergency vehicles (ambulance, police) must give them the right of way. There are thousands of such limos which totally disorganise the traffic flow, so much so that normal drivers are starting to protest.
  • And last, but not least, there are stretches of roads in the country were you drive FAST, don't stop, and have your Kalashnikov ready.
I've never been that far east, so I have to rely on his word.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
The Following User Says Thank You to Piwoslaw For This Useful Post:
Laurentiu (07-29-2010)
Old 07-29-2010, 02:43 AM   #18 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvaro84 View Post
Man, those crazy English drive on the wrong side of the road to begin with
Even being a pedestrian for a week kept me on my toes. But my friend spent a few months in England and claims that it seems more natural for him. But he didn't do any driving.

My Grandparents drove in Sweden in 1967, on the day after switching. They survived. (Grandpa died a year later, but this was apparently unrelated.)

Anyway, I don't need to go all the way to the Isles to see left-hand driving, I just drive through rural Poland on a Friday or Saturday night. The drunk drivers are all over the road

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 07-29-2010, 03:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
The PRC.

He he. Want to know why we still drive on the left (aka the correct) side of the road ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Gaulle
Here is a country which is not European. Its history, its geography, its economy, its agriculture and the character of its people ‑ admirable people though they are ‑ all point in a different direction. This is a country which cannot, despite what it claims and perhaps even believes, be a full member
That was the french president deciding that Britain couldn't be part of the EEC in the 60s. After all that help and everything...

Anyway after that we had too many motorways, roads and cars to swap. So we didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clev View Post
My favorites are the giant billboards and electronic signs that espouse safe driving, while distracting drivers from it.

AdFreak: Don't drive distracted, says distracting ad
When myself and the wife got married and spent a lot of time driving instead of..., well, you know... our fave slogan was

"Frustration can cause accidents"

Still raises a titter in the Arragonis-mobile that one does.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Anyway, I don't need to go all the way to the Isles to see left-hand driving, I just drive through rural Poland on a Friday or Saturday night. The drunk drivers are all over the road
Too much Sobieski being served? Being a lover of vodka and 25% Polish to begin with, drinking from what is purported to be from my grandfather's homeland is comforting, somehow.

I suppose to understand why the brits drive on the dark side, you have to understand their priorities. In left hand drive, the steering wheel is managed by the left hand (genereally speaking, the weaker hand) and the shifting by the right. So one could interpolate that the American was more concerned with shifting than steering

I look forward to more roundabouts in this backwards country. It is especially nice, I think, in a low traffic volume intersection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Reply  Post New Thread