Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tank - '96 Ford Aspire 4 door
Team Ford
90 day: 46.75 mpg (US)
I don't know of anyone else that's aeromodded a Tempo, so there's lots of people who are taking first steps. XD

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Serenity - '93 Nissan Sentra SE-R
90 day: 20.55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgmomni View Post
How my cars appearance needs to stay "acceptable" as I do drive onsite to see clients and
if it gets too "abnormal" it could hurt biz.

What is the Candle holder idea?

tks, Pete
But you don't have to worry about people seeing under your car, so as long as nothing's brightly covered and/or hanging down, no one will notice! Underbelly pans are perfect for you
Old 05-10-2010, 10:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob View Post
Well, there's some glory in being first. Lewis and Clark overcame the lack of a trail, and were able to report that the land went all the way to the water. That was considered a great start.
BikeBob,

I love that!!!!!

Can I Steal IT!!!!!!

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Old 05-10-2010, 10:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
ab-normal......

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgmomni View Post
How my cars appearance needs to stay "acceptable" as I do drive onsite to see clients and
if it gets too "abnormal" it could hurt biz.

What is the Candle holder idea?

tks, Pete
Couple of thoughts here.....
One of the reasons I stay here is BECAUSE the abnormals accept the normals.
There seems to be this prevailing attitude that it's ok to just 'try'. Not everybody has to be a 'dolphin' (talk about raising the bar!!!!!!) Not everybody has to drive a EV with no ac to be accepted.

And that is very cool

The other thing is that there is this sence of 'seriousness' that calls 'BS' when someone doesnt do any testing.

So I digressed.....
I'm in the same boat. I drive to my clients who happen to be elderly seniors in CARE. THe last thing I need for them to wonder what all the duck tape is all about

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Old 05-11-2010, 12:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
Pioneers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
BikeBob,

I love that!!!!!

Can I Steal IT!!!!!!
Sure, enjoy. Seriously, Lewis & Clark were able to report that there was a lot of wagon-accessible land suitable for settlement. That's what changed history. Still, the moral here is that breaking trail is the usual way to the low-hanging fruit.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
rear spoiler

Mimicing the roofline of the contemporary Prius or Insight would put you in the money.
Since 'appearance' is an issue,you might search for a 'production' rear spoiler ( from any car ) which would fit the trunklid of the Camry,which would both extend the 'length'of the trunklid,and also terminate at a higher elevation at the trailing edge than what you have.
Consider,that for a modern day CIVIC sedan,to approach the low-drag roof of today's Insight requires a rear spoiler 130-mm high,reaching 65-mm further back.
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
pgmomni (05-12-2010)
Old 05-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
Camry MPG Modder

Camry CE - '00 Toyota Camry CE
90 day: 36.18 mpg (US)
Too bad they dont make/sell ecommoder body kits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Mimicing the roofline of the contemporary Prius or Insight would put you in the money.
Since 'appearance' is an issue,you might search for a 'production' rear spoiler ( from any car ) which would fit the trunklid of the Camry,which would both extend the 'length'of the trunklid,and also terminate at a higher elevation at the trailing edge than what you have.
Consider,that for a modern day CIVIC sedan,to approach the low-drag roof of today's Insight requires a rear spoiler 130-mm high,reaching 65-mm further back.
So the spoiler would need to be 5+ inches high and extend 2.5+ inches further back then the current trunk lip. That would like totally "ricer" on a Camry!

Nothing happening this week as I am busy stuck on more mundane tasks.

I did order 15" pizza pans I hope to install before my next 500-600 "commute".

The local Selectman election should end some free coraplast hopefully will be available.

Pete
Old 05-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Camry - '96 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 20.91 mpg (US)
you can try swapping the 3s (2l vs 2.2l) in and if want to be extramish the new vvt-i they used in the rav4 has more lower power and better efficiency

or even the v6 5-speed would be a little less extreme and has a wider better gearing or crazier the 2010 6-speed

swapping to the eibach(same as the trd) drop springs will lower by about an inch and look wise is hardly noticeable and doesnt change the ride much

you can drop to 195 tires they were stock on the 96 4 cylinder. i'm not sure on the gen 4.5 if the 14" rims will fit

smt6 can allow you to adjust timing and a/f

also moving to a hotter plug will help if you check my log my moving to a cooler plug killed me about 2mpg BKR5ES11 ngk part number

and thats about all i can think of short of cf hood
Old 05-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
Camry MPG Modder

Camry CE - '00 Toyota Camry CE
90 day: 36.18 mpg (US)
tks for the input

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoti View Post
you can try swapping the 3s (2l vs 2.2l) in and if want to be extramish the new vvt-i they used in the rav4 has more lower power and better efficiency

or even the v6 5-speed would be a little less extreme and has a wider better gearing or crazier the 2010 6-speed

swapping to the eibach(same as the trd) drop springs will lower by about an inch and look wise is hardly noticeable and doesnt change the ride much

you can drop to 195 tires they were stock on the 96 4 cylinder. i'm not sure on the gen 4.5 if the 14" rims will fit

smt6 can allow you to adjust timing and a/f

also moving to a hotter plug will help if you check my log my moving to a cooler plug killed me about 2mpg BKR5ES11 ngk part number

and thats about all i can think of short of cf hood
Lowering displacement while a interesting idea is too costly and the as this Gen4 is 2998 lbs probably not good idea.

Lowering is off the list for 2 reasons, 1 I live in Maine and sometimes the snow is deep and 2 my driveway restricts low clearance.

My 6.3% oversize diameter tires while wider then stock are my "poor mans" increase of final drive ratio.

The smt6 looks interesting!

The way the A/F seems to gravitate to 14.53% A/F all the time in "annoying". I believe it has to do with driveability at the expense of MPG
BUT the spark plugs show good clean combustion.

Only time it goes steady 14.7 is when coasting and MAP dips like below 6ish.

Pete
Old 05-27-2010, 02:38 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Alli - '07 Ford F-150 XL
90 day: 13.95 mpg (US)

DIYWRX - '16 Subaru Crosstrek Prem - SE
90 day: 25.3 mpg (US)
Not that I'll be able to help you out much, I'm learning myself. But, here's another Camry here. Although, I have a 3rd gen vs. your 4th. Keep us updated to what you do; I've gotta steal ideas from somebody! :P

Reply  Post New Thread