Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2010, 10:40 AM   #31 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,963 Times in 3,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoti View Post
i been looking in to the celica side mirrors they should be better
Unless they're physically smaller, I'd say there's no significant efficiency difference between them and them and the stock Camry mirrors.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
Cd (06-04-2010)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
i think one area where a sidemirror causes drag is where it's attached to the body.

on my car the mirror is attached directly to the body, and on the highway in heavy rain i notices a weird swirl (not the mirrors wake wich was also visible)at that location and also a stream of water coming over the edge. not sure what that means, but it all looked like dirty aero...
most new cars have mirrors that are separated from the body, more or less attached with a boom...

i think the way your mirrors are designed is good in this respect, with a "thin" attachement.

*i can coast for miles and miles and miles*
Old 06-05-2010, 08:59 AM   #33 (permalink)
Camry MPG Modder

Camry CE - '00 Toyota Camry CE
90 day: 36.18 mpg (US)
Started work on front lip/spoiler...

Put car up on ramps and crawled under to see what I could do.

This is what I have managed to do so far. Hope to finish it this AM once the torrential rains stop.

I am using Certaineed Vinyl siding left over from my house. Looks kinda like this on the house.

Looks better to the eye then this pic looks. Color "matches" cars paint pretty well. From 10 feet away it almost looks OEM stock! Beauty is of course in the eyes of the beholder.

Will post how to pics when I am done.

Pete

MainStreet - Horizontal Siding - Vinyl Siding & Polymer Shakes - CertainTeed
Old 06-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Alli - '07 Ford F-150 XL
90 day: 13.95 mpg (US)

DIYWRX - '16 Subaru Crosstrek Prem - SE
90 day: 25.3 mpg (US)
pgmomni, that's a really brilliant idea using house vinyl. n00b question, but is that outdoor siding vinyl? It kinda looks like the lower wall mounding, so I'm not quite sure what you meant. I'll be interested to see the final results!
Old 06-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #35 (permalink)
Camry MPG Modder

To me part of ecomodding is using what you got or can get free!

Yes, its vinyl exterior siding. One by one my wife and kids are less and less inclined to be seen riding in my car! Good, less dead weight to carry around!

The raw materials. Original on left, bottom half of siding used as front of spoiler, top half slide in behind after front is attached to car to increase rigidity.

ProtoType1 Front View:

Leftside view of end:
I cut "tabs" into the plastic bumper cover and the lip from the siding is slide under these tabs. On the ends I simple cut a slit in the bumper cover and the edged of the side is insert into it. This creates a bowed length of siding that is "stuck" in/under the edge of the bumper cover.

RightSide view of end, notice how the top piece of siding has been flipped over and slide in behind the front top half. That made it 3 or 4 times as rigid as just the one length of siding.

I am adding brackets right now. 1 at each end of the lower fairing opening and 1 at each end before the wheels.

It is getting quite strong and rigid.

Need input from aero experts on how/where to cut the ends.

More pics later.

Pete
Old 06-05-2010, 08:36 PM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Camry - '96 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 20.91 mpg (US)
noice i was in a parking lot yesterday and got some ruff measurements celica mirror and it seemed close now i just need to head out to my local u-pull and do some fitting there to make sure before i buy them

and another lip for us gen 3 guys is the ford taurus (94-96?) lip it's only about an inch tho but it fits on ....lol i forgot all about it might go looking for one them too when i go.

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-Toyota-Celica-GT-4-Passenger-Side-Mirror-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19b4776219QQitemZ11040 1905177QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

i guess early 90's gt trim mirror 5th gen
Old 06-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Alli - '07 Ford F-150 XL
90 day: 13.95 mpg (US)

DIYWRX - '16 Subaru Crosstrek Prem - SE
90 day: 25.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoti View Post
noice i was in a parking lot yesterday and got some ruff measurements celica mirror and it seemed close now i just need to head out to my local u-pull and do some fitting there to make sure before i buy them

and another lip for us gen 3 guys is the ford taurus (94-96?) lip it's only about an inch tho but it fits on ....lol i forgot all about it might go looking for one them too when i go.

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-Toyota-Celica-GT-4-Passenger-Side-Mirror-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19b4776219QQitemZ11040 1905177QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

i guess early 90's gt trim mirror 5th gen
The Ford Taurus lip is popular over on Toyota Nation. One thing that I just saw over there that also seemed like a good idea was using garage door weather stripping. It actually gives a pretty cool OEM+ look.

Home Depot Lip
Old 06-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #38 (permalink)
Camry MPG Modder

Its almost complete...

Quote:
Originally Posted by animated_zombie View Post
The Ford Taurus lip is popular over on Toyota Nation. One thing that I just saw over there that also seemed like a good idea was using garage door weather stripping. It actually gives a pretty cool OEM+ look.

Home Depot Lip
Both the Taurus Lip and the garage door gasket/weather strip are not tall enough. More like cosmetic changes then true aero ecomod.

Vinyl siding comes in various heights, what I just added comes out to 3.5+ inches. Now that its all "installed" I have a template and could easily try some 10" siding to yield 5" spoiler/air dam.

Pete

Last edited by pgmomni; 06-05-2010 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: added pics
The Following User Says Thank You to pgmomni For This Useful Post:
MrMiata (08-23-2010)
Old 06-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
where to cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgmomni View Post
Yes, its vinyl exterior siding. One by one my wife and kids are less and less inclined to be seen riding in my car! Good, less dead weight to carry around!

The raw materials. Original on left, bottom half of siding used as front of spoiler, top half slide in behind after front is attached to car to increase rigidity.

ProtoType1 Front View:

Leftside view of end:
I cut "tabs" into the plastic bumper cover and the lip from the siding is slide under these tabs. On the ends I simple cut a slit in the bumper cover and the edged of the side is insert into it. This creates a bowed length of siding that is "stuck" in/under the edge of the bumper cover.

RightSide view of end, notice how the top piece of siding has been flipped over and slide in behind the front top half. That made it 3 or 4 times as rigid as just the one length of siding.

I am adding brackets right now. 1 at each end of the lower fairing opening and 1 at each end before the wheels.

It is getting quite strong and rigid.

Need input from aero experts on how/where to cut the ends.

More pics later.

Pete
If you can cut the bare minimum away,which allows the tire clearance during it's full range of motion,including suspension travel,plus a little extra for ice build up in winter,then I guess you're 'there'.
Without a pan,you're moving the air around the car instead of under so that's good.
You'll notice on modern front ends,the airdam wraps around to the sides in a generous radius such that the air is directed straight down the side of the car rather than 'blowing' out the side.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #40 (permalink)
Camry MPG Modder

YES, results are in...

Last round trip/tank was 645 miles on 17.94 gal for 35.95 mpg.

This trip/tank was 675 miles on 18.326 gals for 36.88 mpg.

avg speed was 47 mph as this trip involved more stop and go traffic, more congested traffic driving then usual.

There were some times while driving up a slight incline, route includes sections thru some mountains, where holding TPS at 17, 70+ mph, mpg stayed above 30 and was able to maintain speed.

Need to reduce drag further. Might just try 12" vinyl siding that would yield 5" high spoiler
as opposed to this 10" siding that made this a 3.5+" deep spoiler. Shape it better at ends to "dump" the air flow to side of car like aerohead posted.

Rear spoiler that actually reduces drag?

Under body panels for sure.

Pete

Reply  Post New Thread