Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2015, 04:46 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Yeah, it's a G1 Insight. It becomes pretty much aerodynamically invisible like a stealth bomber when I'm in a truck's slipstream.
For part of the drive last night, the semi slowed in front of me to like 60 mph, and my instant mpg gauge maxed out (150 mpg) the whole time we were at that speed. The truck literally pulled me down the road, and I wasn't right up on his bumper, I was at a safe distance but still in the bubble!

Mostly though I just bumble around at 50 mph on the back roads, I don't like the highway much since a Mini cooper looks big compared to the Insight.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-22-2015, 07:06 PM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Silver Magnum - '03 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
90 day: 11.43 mpg (US)
DAMN! I need to get me one of those! What work have you done to yours? Are they comfortable cars? Price?
Old 01-22-2015, 08:07 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
You can click on Turtle's page in my sig for a full list of mods, and you can also follow the work I've done in this thread:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post441975

There's more of mine and the other guys' Insights here:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post455603

It's comfortable enough for me and my wife to carpool daily! You'd have to ask one of the other guys about long trips, I've never driven longer than an hour at a time.

After owning one, I keep kicking myself for not getting one sooner!

Old 01-22-2015, 09:49 PM   #34 (permalink)
Beating EPA Unmodded

Blue Eagle - '10 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)
I'll tell you what a Civic gets at 90 MPH soon, probably on Monday evening. I'm quite curious, since I know a guy who goes 80 in school zones (he is stupid) and 100+ on city streets. I've been curious about the fuel economy the guy gets, it probably is only in the 13-20 MPG range if it's a 4 banger, below 10 if it's bigger. I'm not sure if the guy only does it to show off, but it's scary to ride with him, so I've heard.

I won't be seeing his accelerating MPG, but I'll see his cruising MPG, which will make me pretty happy. It shouldn't hurt the tank that badly, since it is extremely difficult to ruin a tank in my car (flooring it only goes up to 9 gal/h, which is like really low in my opinion) so I won't mind doing a 90+ run for science.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:35 PM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by awcook View Post
I'll tell you what a Civic gets at 90 MPH soon, probably on Monday evening. I'm quite curious, since I know a guy who goes 80 in school zones (he is stupid) and 100+ on city streets. I've been curious about the fuel economy the guy gets, it probably is only in the 13-20 MPG range if it's a 4 banger, below 10 if it's bigger. I'm not sure if the guy only does it to show off, but it's scary to ride with him, so I've heard.

I won't be seeing his accelerating MPG, but I'll see his cruising MPG, which will make me pretty happy. It shouldn't hurt the tank that badly, since it is extremely difficult to ruin a tank in my car (flooring it only goes up to 9 gal/h, which is like really low in my opinion) so I won't mind doing a 90+ run for science.
Please do tell what it is like under acceleration if you can, I'm curious what both numbers will be compared to mine lol!
Old 01-22-2015, 11:37 PM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
You can click on Turtle's page in my sig for a full list of mods, and you can also follow the work I've done in this thread:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post441975

There's more of mine and the other guys' Insights here:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post455603

It's comfortable enough for me and my wife to carpool daily! You'd have to ask one of the other guys about long trips, I've never driven longer than an hour at a time.

After owning one, I keep kicking myself for not getting one sooner!
Thanks, I've been working on getting a 2nd car and if they are that good I'm going to see if I can trade the maxima I'm getting for one
Old 01-22-2015, 11:49 PM   #37 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by awcook View Post

It's against the laws of how an engine works to get that low mpg out of a Civic no matter how you drive it (removing sitting still engine revving/idle time).

Old 01-23-2015, 12:21 AM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
It's against the laws of how an engine works to get that low mpg out of a Civic no matter how you drive it (removing sitting still engine revving/idle time).
I'm not so sure, if you look at injector rate at full power it can drink gas quite quickly because (at least in my truck) WOT has the injectors simply spraying as much as they can while totally ignoring the O2 sensors because the engine is running off a preset fuel map.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:29 AM   #39 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
It's against the laws of how an engine works to get that low mpg out of a stock Civic no matter how you drive it (removing sitting still engine revving/idle time).
Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 01-23-2015, 09:12 AM   #40 (permalink)
Not bad for a machine

Maechunbu - Retired - '00 Kia Sephia 1.8I4 16VDOHC
Last 3: 45.28 mpg (US)

Slasher - '96 Chevy Corsica 2.2L 3speedauto
Duct Tape Aero Crew
Team Chevy
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)
I have been up to 107MPH in my Sephia on private property and still got 41MPG when I filled up. The rest of the tank was extreme EOC P&G tho. And by extreme I mean I hardly used the engine at all.

Reply  Post New Thread