Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Never mind the occasional idiot that needs to fill the safe gap you leave ahead of you. They will jump out again soon enough, often to get caught up in a brake jam in the nervous left lane.
When my commute was Voorburg-Amsterdam before the A4 got widened traffic jams were my daily annoyance. I adopted a game I called 'follow the fool'.
(EDIT not literally following, just keeping an eye on the whereabouts)
Somebody cuts you up, then you don't react but just try to keep him in sight and see what happens. So often they ran into trouble changing toward temporaryly faster lanes which always turn to be jammed the worst.
I lost more of them behind me than ahead of me, despite me not making any effort to hurry at all.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 05-11-2014 at 10:26 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-11-2014, 01:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoegerd View Post
I find it hard to use hypermiling tips in the dense traffic.
That is because there is a lot going on around you in dense traffic. Practice when you have room for it, then it will become second nature and you won't even notice when you start coasting in traffic. You will know when to coast and when to roll at a steady speed.
Quote:
I get tailgated almost all the time in such conditions.
Welcome to the club
How about a bumper sticker along the lines of (in fine print, so only tailgaters see it) "I know my a$$ is nice, but you don't have to kiss it".

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 05-11-2014, 04:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ecomoddically recovering

Pandamera - '06 Fiat Panda LPG
90 day: 39.21 mpg (US)
Quote:
I get tailgated almost all the time in such conditions.
Yeah you'll have to get used to that as a hyperkilometerer, just ignore the dirty looks
Good for you to start this at such a young age, it will save you a lot of euros, wish I had the sense when at your age
Old 05-12-2014, 06:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi - '02 Peugeot 206
Last 3: 47.49 mpg (US)
It's also a game to get the most dirty look

Today is another fillup day, I'm now at school and have a 50 km trip back home. Hope to get home before I fillup, because I got already 575+ km on this tank. My goal is everytime to get at least 600 km with a tank. I will post also some pictures of my beloved little red communist friend
Old 05-12-2014, 09:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I'm not really satisfied with the outcome of the fillup. Average was 18,29 km/l (42,34 mpg), that is a kilometer less than the last tank. I think it is due to the traffic jams last week.

Haven't got time to make some pictures of the car but they will be here soon
Old 05-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49 mpg (US)
Hi Sjoerd,

It looks to me like you're doing a fair amount of urban/suburban driving. That means you're getting caught in a lot of stop-and-go traffic, jams, etc. So the first recommendation I have, and I'm sure you've already seen it elsewhere, is weight reduction.

Your little 106 - and that's right about the grille block, the first gen 106 is essentially a "bottom breather" getting all its cooling air from below the bumper - has a little bitty engine that has to work pretty hard to get back up to speed. So if you never carry more than a single passenger, maybe you could pull the back seat? And take the unnecessary stuff out of the boot? Stuff like that.

And then of course, getting back up to speed. If you don't have to get all the way back up to speed, you'll save a bit. If you can allow a bit of a gap to open but not quite enough to allow someone else to block you, you may be able to just keep a teeny bit of momentum going. It isn't much but every little bit helps.

If most of your driving is in and around the city - 2000km per month means you must get out on the highway at least once in a while - then your first and biggest results will come from improving your performance at low speeds: weight reduction and engine mods. Aerodynamic mods look great but are really at their best on the highway.

More than one guy here on ecomodder has completely removed his alternator belt (but they keep them in the car, just in case) and either charge up when parked, or keep the battery topped up with a solar panel. The alternator puts a fair amount of load on the engine, which you could certainly stand to set aside if at all possible in stop-and-go traffic. Also, I strongly suggest you convert your car to manual steering if that isn't already the case - that power steering pump is another significant parasitic loss which in your case is even bigger compared to the engine's modest output.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello elhigh,

Most of the time I'm driving on the highway and larger secondary roads between 80 km/h and 110 km/h. Last week it was more in the city than usual that lead to more slow traffic driving. I'm pretty sure that if it was a normal week, the fuel consumption was around the 20 km/l.

The car doesn't have power steering, it is light with narrow tires so it is also not needed. Besides it's the most basic model you can get, there wasn't even a 12v socket!
I'm not going to do mods like removing the back seat or the alternator belt. I need the back seat from time to time and only thinking about removing the belt makes me insecure.

Even though, thank you very much for your input!
Old 05-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49 mpg (US)
Aha, you have the Rallye. That's the completely stripped down model. In that light there may not be much weight reduction you can do.

Yes, pulling the alternator belt would give me the shivers, too. But I know my truck, for instance, is good for at least ten miles because that's how far it went after I tried to replace the alternator in the parts store parking lot, and couldn't, and drove home with the new alternator in the front seat.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

It's not a Rallye, that has a 1.3i engine with a short geared manual gearbox. I have a base model XN with a 1.1i engine . I also have -30 hp in comparison with the rallye.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
The weather has been worse the last week here, colder, wind, rain; no wonder you did not as good on your last tank. I'm struggling too.
Comes the summer you'll see some amazing tank fills...

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Reply  Post New Thread