Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2019, 01:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Have you watched any good movies lately?

Metro, you weren't planning on creating your own thread, were you? If so, feel free to delete this one.

I am positive that I went to the movies about a month ago, for the first time since "Christopher Robin," but I do not have any idea what I watched!

I took a lovely young woman that I wish that I could see more.

Movies in the theaters in Mesa, Arizona: "Captain Marvel" is already out? I have not even seen trailers for it!
"How to Train Your Dragon III" I should take my brother. I have watched the prequels.
Another "Madea" movie, with the fourth-highest opening weekend. How many movies have they made?
Who has watched "Alita?" I looked into it, but wondered if that was the absolute best eye CGI they could do.

So, it has a plot and stuff?

"The Lego Movie, the Second Part." My brother-in-law told me that I needed to watch the original, but I had mixed feelings. I love Legos, Lego games, and the "Lego Batman" movie, though.
I plan on taking my brother to watch "Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse."
I understand that "Bohemian Rhapsody" has some pretty good music.
Isn't "Glass" a "Broken" sequel? I heard it was underwhelming.
I hear that women enjoy "Aquaman" for some reason. Was it good like "Wonderwoman" or terrible like every other recent D.C. movie?
"Mary Poppins' Revenge." I am not interested in most Disney remakes.

I skipped a couple dozen. I do not know anything about any of those, but as you can tell, I usually watch kid-friendly movies.

Have you watched any of these? Have you watched any other recent movies that I did not mention?

We were supposed to have about two feet of snow, I would not be able to see any of my clients, and I just did not see any reason to stay in-town, so we spent several days in the valley, where Mom was unable to watch Hallmark 24/7.

I watched "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2" and "Antman and the Wasp." The former builds on water having DNA and Terry Crews impersonated Mr. T. I kept wondering about the anatomy of sentient fruits and vegetables. "Antman and the Wasp" was awesome, but I watched it with a different woman, she said it was "Very boring," and I do not want to play with her anymore.

Have you eaten any good books lately? Well, create your own thread!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
No I have not
Old 03-04-2019, 02:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
As I said in the other thread, I watched Ben Hur again while ill.

Here's some of my favorites in no particular order:

Witness for the Prosecution
Rob Roy
The Count of Monte Christo
Star Wars IV, V, VI
Moon
The Shawshank Redemption
Frailty
Cool Hand Luke
Matrix
Batman The Dark Knight
The Wizard of Oz
The Godfather

For some reason I find The Fifth Element to be extremely rewatchable even though it's not a great movie.

Newer movies tend to be garbage; relying on special effects rather than substance of story or character development or acting. Part of my bias is that the good classics have been curated over a much longer timespan than a couple years, but I still feel that the quality of movies has gone downhill. I go to the theater about once every other year now; when a new Star Wars movie comes out. The new ones aren't great, so I don't know why I bother except I still get excited.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 03-04-2019 at 02:37 PM..
Old 03-04-2019, 02:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Not Doug

I do not believe that I have heard of "Witness for the Prosecution." I will need to look it up.
All that I remember from "The Count of Monte Cristo" was my friend telling me how much better the book was and everyone else wanting to get their $2 worth. It seemed good, though.
Moon and Frailty are others that I have not heard of. I will add them to my "To Google" list!
How have I still not watched "Cool Hand Luke?"
I loved the original "Matrix," but I got lost with the sequels. How did he have superpowers in the real world? Was Neo the one, Mr. Smith, or Neville?
You preferred the sequel to "Batman Begins?"
I used "The Wizard of Oz" to help explain irony to a client.
I enjoyed Episodes 8 and 9 and "Rogue One," but heard that the movie about red disposable cups was mediocre.

Sir, are you classified as human?

Last edited by Xist; 03-04-2019 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: First line is now irrelevant.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Wait, Attack of the Clones, A New Hope, and The Empire Strikes Back?

I do not believe that I have heard of "Witness for the Prosecution." I will need to look it up.
All that I remember from "The Count of Monte Cristo" was my friend telling me how much better the book was and everyone else wanting to get their $2 worth. It seemed good, though.
Moon and Frailty are others that I have not heard of. I will add them to my "To Google" list!
How have I still not watched "Cool Hand Luke?"
I loved the original "Matrix," but I got lost with the sequels. How did he have superpowers in the real world? Was Neo the one, Mr. Smith, or Neville?
You preferred the sequel to "Batman Begins?"
I used "The Wizard of Oz" to help explain irony to a client.
I enjoyed Episodes 8 and 9 and "Rogue One," but heard that the movie about red disposable cups was mediocre.

Sir, are you classified as human?
Got my Roman numerals wrong... and have fixed it. Good catch.

I won't get into spoilers on the Matrix.

The Dark Knight is objectively the superior Batman movie, and holds its own among the greatest movies of all time. The philosophy in the movie is so rich, and the character motivations so believable and human. Granted, I went into the movie with extremely low expectations because I was perfectly content with Jack Nicholson's Joker and hate movie remakes. My low expectations probably contributed to being thoroughly impressed with the film.

I've enjoyed the new Star Wars films too, but only because they are identical to the old ones. Hated the one where they went to the gambling planet for no reason, wasted their time, nearly got killed, and made a political point about wealthy people and freeing animals. What, are we supposed to release Justify into the wild because he'll supposedly be happier, and teach these wealthy people a lesson in misery?

Old 03-04-2019, 02:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Dang. I came here to start a thread. I was going to use Best Movie Ever. Fight Me.

Quote:
Lawn Dogs
Lawn Dogs is a 1997 British-American fantasy-drama film directed by John Duigan and starring Mischa Barton and Sam Rockwell. The film tells the story of a precocious young girl from a gated community who befriends a landscape worker, and examines the societal repercussions of their friendship. Written by Naomi Wallace, the film was released by Rank Organisation, and was the company's last production.Wikipedia

Last edited by freebeard; 03-04-2019 at 03:15 PM..
Old 03-04-2019, 03:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Not Doug

You could have made that your subject.

That part of "Rogue One" was indeed weird. PETA in Spaaaaaaace!

I felt the Star War movies were too similar to the originals. I know there are supposed to be recurring themes, although I think they are trying to show how Kylo Ren is different from his grandfather.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Star Wars is dead to me. I took my son to see A New Hope with two of his friends and we rode bicycles home in the dark with them weaving back and forth going 'pew-pew-pew'.

I pulled Lawn Dogs from the top of some list somewhere. It's a Bildungsroman. I looked up the spelling and found a list for the 20th century on Wikipedia. It includes Harry Potter and Ender's Game. But not the [generally considered] greatest novel of the 20th century, Nabakov's Lolita. ???

One of the things I like about Lawn Dogs is the trailer. No, not that trailer. This one:

https://66.media.tumblr.com/10b802b7...v19o1_1280.jpg

And goes along being this one movie and then turns into something completely, hyper-realitically, different at the end.

Old 03-04-2019, 04:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Ever since Moon, I've been a Sam Rockwell fan. I realize he's been in movies prior to that, but it was the first one where I noticed his talent.

... Tim Roth plays the perfect despicable villain in Rob Roy (played by Liam Neeson). There's no reason the film isn't higher rated. It's clearly better than Braveheart (which is fantastic), and it came out in the same year and similar setting and time period. In my view, the character has more depth than Braveheart. The movie transcends themes of freedom and revenge. Freedom has no value without the context of responsibility. I'd even argue freedom has negative value without responsibility and obligation.

Those that are either incapable of the burden of responsibility or unwilling to accept it are not served well by liberty.

... I'm a fan of good sci fi, which is very uncommon. Hate Brazil. Either I'm too dumb to get why the movie is good, or it's just an awful waste of time.

Last edited by redpoint5; 03-04-2019 at 04:13 PM..
Old 03-04-2019, 05:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I hear Mischa Barton has done films since.

For me it doesn't have to be sci-fi as long as there's flying machines. Cowboys and Aliens. John Carter of Mars. Mortal Engines has the Jenny Haniver, but the idea of the City of London careening around the landscape without teacups sliding off tables all over town is inescapable.

The Hindenburg, Baron von Munchhausen, Master of the World.... I'm probably leaving some out.

For whole movies, French Sci-fi comedies. Barbarella, ICQ*, Valerian Et Laureline...
Quote:
Valérian and Laureline
Valérian and Laureline, also known as Valérian: Spatio-Temporal Agent or just Valérian, is a French science fiction comics series, created by writer Pierre Christin and artist Jean-Claude Mézières. First published in Pilote magazine in 1967, the final installment was published in 2010.Wikipedia
edit:
* I'll have to withdraw that one at least temporarily. Searching on I and C and Q takes you down a rabbithole. Perhaps I've misremembered the title, it was about a guy filming a movie like Barbarella and how the movie and his life become indistinguishable.

But I looked at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego..._fiction_films and was reminded of Chidren of Men.

Last edited by freebeard; 03-04-2019 at 05:36 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread