Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Best suggestion so far! Hard to argue with free fuel and that IH 7.3 could probably care less.

regards
Mech

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #32 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Is the '99 U.S.-spec F-250 fitted with a plastic fuel tank or a sheetmetal one? I only remember the Brazilian F-350 being fitted with a sheetmetal tank. Anyway, with a metallic fuel tank it would be possible to get an electric fuel heater, and with a good filter it would be possible to use vegetable oils without a second tank for start-ups on regular Diesel fuel, or even to use summer fuel leftovers in colder weather.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:45 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Is the '99 U.S.-spec F-250 fitted with a plastic fuel tank or a sheetmetal one? I only remember the Brazilian F-350 being fitted with a sheetmetal tank. Anyway, with a metallic fuel tank it would be possible to get an electric fuel heater, and with a good filter it would be possible to use vegetable oils without a second tank for start-ups on regular Diesel fuel, or even to use summer fuel leftovers in colder weather.
Summit Racing carries a 24.5 steel tank that's supposed to replace the OEM; even if the OEM is plastic, you could do a little switcheroo, make an auxiliary plastic tank the petro diesel option and let the new steel tank in the original location become the WVO tank. It's just a matter of plumbing, and while some elements of automotive technology leave me scratching my head, plumbing is not one of them.

All of that depends on EcoSD's current direction, of course. Me, I'd focus on aero and for me that would mean starting with fender skirts. The rear wheel wells on those things are both gigantic and, ironically, don't generally have much wheel in them. The wheel is largely below the level of the wheel well. The 4x4s in particular suffer from this.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Truck - '00 Ford F-250 XLT

*undecided - '12 Honda CBR250R Non-ABS
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Me, I'd focus on aero and for me that would mean starting with fender skirts. The rear wheel wells on those things are both gigantic and, ironically, don't generally have much wheel in them. The wheel is largely below the level of the wheel well. The 4x4s in particular suffer from this.
That is one of the things I have been really looking at, as well as maybe using a spindle hangar to drop the rear a couple inches. Plus living out here in AZ the skirt doesn't really have to be weather proof so figured eventually might mock some up out of cardboard and figure out how to attach them. Probably not till after I move as I work nights so that's when I am awake, will need the garage and it's lighting to work by lol
Old 06-24-2014, 09:42 PM   #35 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Mocking it up on cardboard is OK, but I'd still advice you to weatherproof it, and eventually paint it to match the color of your truck if you want it to look clean.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:21 AM   #36 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Considering your level of modding ability / desire not to change the truck's visuals, your biggest gains are going to come from modifying the nut behind the wheel.

So you need a "game gauge" for sure, so you can start playing "beat my high score" on your regular commute. Also start logging every fill-up so you have a record & additional motivation.

The SG-e will read & reset codes. The major difference between it and the SG-II is it can't be programmed with custom gauges (which probably doesn't matter one whit to the majority of drivers).

Compare the Features of the ScanGauge products : Linear Logic

Welcome to the forum!
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 06-25-2014, 12:10 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Having an automatic might make it harder to get the mileage you are looking for. But, I don't know how well that truck will coast in neutral so having an auto might not be that bad.

Does it already have a tuner? If so, which one? Is there an Eco mode?? If you don't have one, don't run out and buy one. They take a long time to pay for themselves, if you even see a difference.

As stated, your driving habits are going to make the biggest difference. Aero mods are going to be a close second. Is your future commute city or highway??

I don't know if it was mentioned, but pump those tires up. Are you do for new tires anytime soon? What tires are on there right now? If you have off road or all terrain tires, consider a highway rib that you can pump way up for your next set. You want to make that truck roll as easy as possible.

Also, remove all excess weight. People with trucks tend to carry a lot of stuff, like tow straps, tools, trash, etc. Take out everything you don't need to carry around.

I am not suggesting you sell the truck; I know you don't want to hear that. But, I just went through a similiar situation, but instead gave up on hypermiling and bought a beater... I had an 2010 Sentra and a 2006 Hemi Durango that got 14ish mpg (I LOVED the Durango). I did some car switching and ended up with a new Mazda5 for the wife and a very used, $1,000 Geo Metro for me. I was trying to boost my credit and fatten my wallet to buy a house. I went to a single car payment for a while, bought the house and got a great interest rate. I sold the Metro for $1,500 and bought my 2005 Civic. To quantify the savings, the Durango to the Mazda5 switch has saved us over $2,500 in gas in a year and a half. Not to mention, most of our family driving is done in the Civic, which gets 40 mpg. Again, I am not suggesting that you sell your truck, but only sharing my house buying story...
Old 06-25-2014, 09:46 PM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Truck - '00 Ford F-250 XLT

*undecided - '12 Honda CBR250R Non-ABS
What kind of weatherproofing would you recommend for AZ?

Yeah I figured the E would be the one I would get the most out of, I'm sure all those other gauges mean something to you guys but to me all I care about is seeing instant MPG.

I coast when I can but no EOC for me, ford hydroboost means no steering or brakes if I did that lol
No tuner, was thinking one day getting an actual dyno tune but that's way off and just an idea.
All highway, 2 miles in 30-35 zone but that's skirting a small town so shouldn't face any stop and go situations.
Yeah all 4 tires are highway 10 ply, pumped to 75-80 psi.
It's empty, actually need to go on ebay and find a jack and spare kit as previous owner took those out lol
Am looking at getting a motorcycle but not going to spend the money till I know I have it to spend.

Thanks for the help
Old 06-25-2014, 11:41 PM   #39 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoSuperDuty?? View Post
What kind of weatherproofing would you recommend for AZ?
If you'd use the cardboard just for the mock-ups and make the skirts with some weather-resistent stuff such as coroplast there is no need to weatherproof it, but if you would like to just use the cardboard pieces you could weatherproof it with clear adhesive tape. But painting them before weatherproofing is recommended if you want a clean look.

Reply  Post New Thread