Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15

Project: Accord - '97 Honda Accord EX
90 day: 40.1 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello from CA

Hey all, (apologies for the long post)
Nice site, I hope to gleam lots of info off of here. I've recently moved and my commute has gone from 3 miles to 60 - ONE WAY, with about a 2500' elevation gain/loss. There aren't many stoplights but lots of hills and speed limits from 35 to 65.
My car is 1997 Accord EX, it's lowered about 1.5" and has an aftermarket intake. It has 225 series tires on it now, but when they wear out, I'm getting the thinnest possible to reduce rolling resistance.
I've been tracking my mileage for about 10k miles now and the worst I've done is around 32mpg, I started implementing some better driving habits (coasting with engine on and off, shifting around 2500rpm, driving the speed limit, trying not to brake, etc..) with just changes to my driving habits I've increased the MPG to about 37.5mpg. My goal is to get to 40 without much assistance and then push up from there with HHO, EFIE, 02, etc..., and I'm almost there!

__________________
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 08-27-2008, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010
 
SVOboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hanover, NH
Posts: 6,427

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Thanks: 92
Thanked 114 Times in 82 Posts
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Man, that wasn't a great move! Brutal commute!

Welcome to ecomodder! Do you have a scangauge or mpguino yet?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15

Project: Accord - '97 Honda Accord EX
90 day: 40.1 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, it's tough, but my mortgage was cut in half because of it...well almost in half...I get to make up the rest in gas...
No, no scanguage yet...what is a mpguino?
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15

Project: Accord - '97 Honda Accord EX
90 day: 40.1 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nevermind, I saw the link to the mpguino...I'm more mechanically inclined than electronically...but I can solder a little bit so I might have to give this a try! I guess I better add that to my To-Do list...
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pokémoderator
 
cfg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,864

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Thanks: 439
Thanked 528 Times in 355 Posts
craig5_12 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig5_12 View Post
Yeah, it's tough, but my mortgage was cut in half because of it...well almost in half...I get to make up the rest in gas...
No, no scanguage yet...what is a mpguino?
Welcome to EM! I feel your commuting/mortgage pain, even if I only have to go 35 miles one way. I am guessing you must love the drive down and cry all the way up hill.

CarloSW2
__________________

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15

Project: Accord - '97 Honda Accord EX
90 day: 40.1 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any commute is a bad one in my eyes, although it has introduced me (now) into the world of hypermiling and I'm glad for that! I long for the days I can walk or ride a bike to work again...
The drive down is pretty cool though, I need to calculate the miles I actually drive with the engine off!
This forum is great and I look forward to learning lots and sharing what I can!
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15

Project: Accord - '97 Honda Accord EX
90 day: 40.1 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I got almost 42mpg on my last fill-up! I guess I hit my first goal...I better set my sights on 50mpg now...and all this with just adjusting my driving style! Grill block, wiper delete, mirror delete and thinner tires coming up...
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Posts: 1,098

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig5_12 View Post
Well, I got almost 42mpg on my last fill-up! I guess I hit my first goal...I better set my sights on 50mpg now...and all this with just adjusting my driving style! Grill block, wiper delete, mirror delete and thinner tires coming up...
Nice work! I just started seriously Ecodriving my '90 EX, and I'm up to 32 mpg, so I have some work. I guess I'll be looking at a '97 when this one finally dies!

I assume you have a manual transmission. What RPMs do you turn at 65 in 5th? I think mine's way too high, and that's contributing to the problem.


Tim
__________________

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15

Project: Accord - '97 Honda Accord EX
90 day: 40.1 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clev View Post
Nice work! I just started seriously Ecodriving my '90 EX, and I'm up to 32 mpg, so I have some work. I guess I'll be looking at a '97 when this one finally dies!
I assume you have a manual transmission. What RPMs do you turn at 65 in 5th? I think mine's way too high, and that's contributing to the problem.
Tim
Yeah, it's a manual. The manual coupes seem to be kinda hard to find for this year, I got lucky I guess because I really wasn't looking at FE when I bought it 8 years ago!
I don't usually drive 65 but for your sake I did today and I was turning at about 2600...hope that helps! Not sure what tranny's are available for the '90 model. I know for the '91 on up the F22B1 engine and tranny combo (what I have) is a direct replacement. The prelude Type S even had a LSD...The H22 engines also fit but I don't think they're as FE.

My buddy had an '89 and he changed the fuel filter and increased his mileage considerably...if you haven't done that yet, I'd try it and see if it helps! Good Luck!
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Posts: 1,098

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig5_12 View Post
Yeah, it's a manual. The manual coupes seem to be kinda hard to find for this year, I got lucky I guess because I really wasn't looking at FE when I bought it 8 years ago!
I don't usually drive 65 but for your sake I did today and I was turning at about 2600...hope that helps! Not sure what tranny's are available for the '90 model. I know for the '91 on up the F22B1 engine and tranny combo (what I have) is a direct replacement. The prelude Type S even had a LSD...The H22 engines also fit but I don't think they're as FE.

My buddy had an '89 and he changed the fuel filter and increased his mileage considerably...if you haven't done that yet, I'd try it and see if it helps! Good Luck!
I'll try that. I already picked up a replacement O2 sensor off eBay ($10!), so I'll get a fuel filter as well. 34.2 mpg at the last fillup, and still working on it!

__________________

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Tags
accord

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sonoma County, Ca. Consultant pantherwings Introductions 3 08-04-2008 01:05 PM
Lurker no more from Roseville, CA truckncycle Introductions 3 07-04-2008 03:20 AM
Apparent yearly EV meet @ DVC in Concord CA Red General Efficiency Discussion 1 04-28-2008 08:50 AM
FS: crx HF in CA Ryland For Sale 6 04-03-2008 01:47 AM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com