Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2017, 11:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Nice result! Remove the power steering pump belt. It was an option on these little car. I have driven without it for years. It should be worth 1-3mpg to you. If you can't adjust yourself to manual steering after a while, you can just put the belt back on. Also... keep up your tire pressure to at least max sidewall ratings. Even on snow tires it should make a difference.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-22-2017, 11:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Removing the PS belt is not an option at the moment, since I am not the only driver. My gf also drives it, which is why its auto in the first place. My preference is manual gear box, as my other 2 are manual gear box.. I found some coroplast in the attic, going to measure up a template for the grills soon.
Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Finally added front grills block and vac gauge.

The Following User Says Thank You to Civic98lx For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 01:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Looks good... any experience using the gauge for pulse and glide techniques?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Have not got a chance to test out the gauge yet. Been driving the other winter beater vehicle. But what is the pulse and glide technique? I'm not familiar with it, as I'm still learning.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Actually, I just remembered that you have a Obd2-reading gauge, so the engine load reading will prolly be better, but I thought that was the purpose of the vacuum gauge. Here is a primer on pulse and glide: Driving technique: exploring 'Pulse and Glide' - MetroMPG.com

What is the vacuum gauge for then? Why did you want it?

Old 01-28-2017, 11:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have an obd 1 car also. I bought it for that but wanted to see how it compare to the obd2 ultragauge reading. I'm still playing around with the ultragauge display gauge, I "think" there is an engine load % option I could select. Much like the throttle %.
Thanks for the link, I will read up
Old 01-29-2017, 10:44 AM   #18 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civic98lx View Post
I have an obd 1 car also. I bought it for that but wanted to see how it compare to the obd2 ultragauge reading. I'm still playing around with the ultragauge display gauge, I "think" there is an engine load % option I could select. Much like the throttle %.
Thanks for the link, I will read up
Oh, yes. Very cool. You Could compare engine load readings on the Ultragauge with vacuum readings on the vacuum gauge. On the UG, which I also use on a 98 Civic, there is both a throttle % and an engine load%. You want the latter. Throttle does not help much. My 98 non-vtec Civic engine (sames as you LX) likes 75% engine load (70-80% is a fine range for most ICE vehicles). What is that on your vacuum gauge?

Old 01-29-2017, 02:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well, I took the vac gauge off and put it in my 95civic lx. Since the UG display so much more info. Seem everyone favor engine load % over the vac. I took it off before got a chance to test it out. So far on the obd1 car, I can tell the vac is all over the place. Going to take some getting use to how it function and drive within the green zone.

Reply  Post New Thread