Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2014, 11:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk_ghig14 View Post
It's even a lot smaller than other sports cars on the market. My mustang looks massive compared to my father's c7.
Well, that depends on what you consider to be a sports car. A Mustang isn't one, in my definition. But then, a Corvette barely squeaks in. Miata, Lotus, some Porsches. the little BMW... THOSE are sports cars :-)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-12-2014, 11:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Well, that depends on what you consider to be a sports car. A Mustang isn't one, in my definition. But then, a Corvette barely squeaks in. Miata, Lotus, some Porsches. the little BMW... THOSE are sports cars :-)
Sports car is subjective. When I say "race car" do you think Formula 1 or Nascar? Or just a Ferrari? So does sports car mean a power to weight ratio? A basic drivetrain layout? A general purpose? A Camaro, Mustang, even...a Challenger...is a sports car.

My mental concept is like this: Art is making something that only has a purpose of being. A toilet isn't art, because it's made to do something. A car isn't art because it's made to do something. A painting is art, because it is only created for it to exist.

Of course one can buy a car that underperforms an entry level sports car, yet costs more (Miata, Z series, BMW 3/5 series), and claim it is more of a sports car than another, but at the end of the day, a car is built at a general purpose. Regardless of opinion on what's a "sports car," the entry level is aimed just as much at the premium models. Tell a 2014 GT500 owner he doesn't have a sports car, or an RS3 owner, or an LS owner that they don't have a sports car.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
If it deactivates half its cylinders while cruising, it's a virtual 3.1 liter four-cylinder. That's part of where the economy comes from.
Makes me wonder how would a real 4-pot do into the Corvette's platform, due to the lower internal frictions and the weight savings...
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
chumly (04-14-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Defining Sports Cars... let us not go down that rabbit hole. We may never find the other side...

Whenever I think of the Mustang, I think: "Two door sedan"... A Corvette, on the other hand, is a Grand Tourer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Makes me wonder how would a real 4-pot do into the Corvette's platform, due to the lower internal frictions and the weight savings...
It would have to be one capable of pushing the car along at just over idle.

Hmmm... a Vette with 175mm wide tires and a 1.25 liter Fiat turbodiesel... hmmm...
Old 04-13-2014, 09:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Weellllll, you could always put a Vortec 2800/2900 out of a Chevy Colorado into a cast off C4 and find out......keep the truck cams......add a turbo so that it wouldn't be a completely sacriligeous swap.......2.73 gears in the back....that double OD ZF 6 speed transmission ( don't think there's a huge demand for them right now ), then troll everybody with the car.

It almost sounds like a great time. I can imagine the questions. Why the *&^% did you do that? A four cylinder Corvette? What, you poor? Dropped on your head? Lemme guess, the small block was just too powerful for you, and you decided to install a scooter motor so you could drive it.

Hey, one guy put a 6.2 diesel in a C3 so a 4 cylinder powered C4 should be next. Hmmmm......naw, wouldn't work for me.......need a big back seat........
Old 04-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Sports car is subjective. When I say "race car" do you think Formula 1 or Nascar? Or just a Ferrari? So does sports car mean a power to weight ratio? A basic drivetrain layout? A general purpose? A Camaro, Mustang, even...a Challenger...is a sports car.
Sorry, but no. Those are overpowered muscle cars. Sports cars (by my definition) put a priority on handling, not power, so they go around curves fast. Which is why I said the Corvette barely makes it into my personal sports car category: too much engine.

Quote:
Of course one can buy a car that underperforms an entry level sports car, yet costs more (Miata, Z series, BMW 3/5 series), and claim it is more of a sports car...
There's a good test. Take your Mustang and place it up against a Miata on a nice section of curvy road (or track). See which 'underperforms' :-)

Quote:
Tell a 2014 GT500 owner he doesn't have a sports car, or an RS3 owner, or an LS owner that they don't have a sports car.
OK. If there are any here, I just did :-)
Old 04-13-2014, 12:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Sorry, but no. Those are overpowered muscle cars. Sports cars (by my definition) put a priority on handling, not power, so they go around curves fast. Which is why I said the Corvette barely makes it into my personal sports car category: too much engine.

There's a good test. Take your Mustang and place it up against a Miata on a nice section of curvy road (or track). See which 'underperforms' :-)

OK. If there are any here, I just did :-)
So you don't think a Formula 1 car or a Nascar is a race car...alright, I am not going to dig deeper into that. (Seriously? An F1 car is an overpowered muscle car? I really should unsubscribe now)

I understand your definition. I am more accustomed to going by a universal, general definition (since this a broad and general term), I have a feeling this is more of a nit picking specific personal qualification for you. 'Clearly that's not a sports car, or race car, or performance car, that's a hyper car!- Duh.'

I share my opinion on an accurate description of a 'sports car' with Webster ("a low small usually 2-passenger automobile designed for quick response, easy maneuverability, and high-speed driving"-Source: Sports car - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary) and the Britannica ("The sports car, designed for pleasure..."-Source: sports car -- Encyclopedia Britannica).

I understand your definition. Since I thoroughly believe that the Corvette (or entry level sports car) isn't really developed for hauling goods, pulling a trailer, maximizing fuel economy, people moving (at least, more than one at a time lol) or any purpose other than driving it- I will retain my personal descriptor of sports car. (I hope the sports car team doesn't see this thread lol)

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I like the look of the new Stingray... dreamt about getting one for a while... decided WTF was I thinking? I don't even tap into the 100HP the Coupe has. If I want to scare the bejeezus outta myself via speed, a hop on the V-Max cures that.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
So you don't think a Formula 1 car or a Nascar is a race car...alright, I am not going to dig deeper into that. (Seriously? An F1 car is an overpowered muscle car? I really should unsubscribe now)
Did I say those aren't race cars? No, if they're for racing, they're by definition race cars, but their form depends on the rules of the particular type of racing. There's truck racing (Truck racing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ), tractor racing, and even lawnmower racing.

Quote:
I share my opinion on an accurate description of a 'sports car' with Webster ("a low small usually 2-passenger automobile designed for quick response, easy maneuverability, and high-speed driving"-Source: Sports car - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary)...
I'll agree with Webster. So is the Mustang small or low? No - unless your standard of comparison is an SUV. Is it a 2-seater? No. Is it designed for quick response & easy maneuverability? No - again, unless you're comparing against an SUV.

Then there's the not-so-small matter of weight: the 2014 Mustang runs about 3500 lbs, vs about 1600 for a classic Lotus Elise, 2000-2500 for a Miata, etc.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Sports car = small, nimble, go-around corners like a 'bat-out-of-hell' vehicle.

Muscale car = Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, etc.; americana 'goes-like-hell' (straight-line) boulevard dasher.

Reply  Post New Thread