Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2021, 08:29 AM   #41 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,523 Times in 2,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
Reading through this thread for the first time just now...

Wow. Not impressed with the initial responses. Straight in to the butt0hurt denial.

Have fun with it all.
The only denial I see is all the climate models have failed but we are expected to pretend like global warming is real.
Just like the magical dark matter particles, no one can find, experiment after experiment fails, but you still have to believe because reasons.
They're both cult followings.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-24-2021, 11:39 AM   #42 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:

Wow. Not impressed with the initial responses. Straight in to the butt0hurt denial.

Have fun with it all.
Denial of ignorant know-nothing randos from the interwebs... of course I'm going to deny their opinion matters in the slightest.

... and I don't care in the least, so my butt feels fine.

Talk about something factual, and we might have a discussion.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 05-24-2021, 12:39 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,572 Times in 7,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79

Wow. Not impressed with the initial responses.
Is that Permalinks lower than five? I reject you premise.

The only b*tt-hurt I see is people not liking the deprecated [youtube] tag.

Old 05-24-2021, 03:51 PM   #44 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:

Have fun with it all.
I see no reason to rehash the climate change thread. Zero minds will change.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:53 PM   #45 (permalink)
Environmentalist

From 350.org:

“CLIMATE SCIENCE BASICS:

It’s warming.
It’s us.
We’re sure.
It’s bad.
We can fix it.
(Thanks to Dr. Kimberly Nicholas for putting it so simply).
1. It's Warming.

Right now, annual global average temperature is about 1° Celsius (1.9°F) hotter than pre-industrial levels.
0° C+1° C← HOTTERGlobal Temperature Index, 1880-2016 (NASA)
The world’s scientists confirmed in the 2018 IPCC report that at the current rate, the world could cross 1.5˚C hotter as soon as 2030. That’s only a decade from now, well within the lifespan of most people alive today.

1.5˚C might not sound like a big increase in temperature, but it’s the difference between life and death for thousands of people.

Earth has always had natural cycles of warming and cooling, but not like we’re seeing now. The top five hottest years on record are 2016, 2015, 2017, 2018, and 2014.

And rising temperatures doesn’t only mean it’s getting hotter. The Earth’s climate is complex — even a small increase in average global temperature means big changes, with lots of dangerous side effects.
Monthly global average temperature relative to pre-industrial average

The last cooler-than-average month was in October 1965. (Climate Central)
2. It’s Us.

Human beings are causing climate change, largely by burning fossil fuels.

Rising temperatures correlate almost exactly with the release of greenhouse gases.

Before the 18th century, when humans in the industrial west began to burn coal, oil and gas, our atmosphere typically contained about 280 parts per million of carbon dioxide. Those are the conditions “on which civilization developed and to which life on earth is adapted.”

Now, as the use of fossil fuels spreads through the world, the amount of carbon in the atmosphere is skyrocketing — we’re now well over 415 parts per million of CO2 in the atmosphere. Read More

CO2 levels throughout history — note the sharp spike at the end. (source: Scripps Institution of Oceanography)
3. We’re Sure.

An overwhelming 97% of scientists agree that climate change is being caused by human greenhouse gas emissions. There is no meaningful debate about the basic science of climate change.

Scientists march at the 2014 People's Climate March in New York City.
Scientists at the 2014 People’s Climate March in New York City.
Scan of 1981 Exxon internal memo acknowledging the role of CO2 emissions in climate change.

1981 Exxon internal memo acknowledging the role of CO2 in causing climate change.
The finding that more CO2 in the atmosphere will warm the climate dates back to the 1890s. Attacks on the credibility of climate science are perpetuated by vested interests, including the fossil fuel industry, which continues to pump money into creating uncertainty about our understanding of climate change. Since the 2015 Paris Agreement, the top 5 oil majors alone have spent a combined $1 billion on misleading climate-related branding and lobbying.

The oil company Exxon knew about climate change’s impact in the 1970s, and found out that action would impact their bottom line. As a result, they joined an industry-wide attack on the truth, creating a false debate that prevented action for decades. Now we know that Exxon, and other companies like Shell, have been taking actions to protect their infrastructure from climate change for decades — while fighting action to protect the rest of us.

It’s also important to listen to indigenous, traditional and local knowledge. In many places of the world elders and community leaders are sharing their understandings of how ecosystems are changing.

If we pay attention to what scientists and frontline communities are telling us, instead of fossil fuel industry deceptions, the message is clear: Humans are causing the rapid onset of climate change, which is already bringing costly impacts across the world. The best way to stop it is by keeping fossil fuels in the ground, and accelerating a just transition to 100% renewable energy...” Read more —>

https://350.org/science/#warming

Last edited by Galvatron1; 05-24-2021 at 07:30 PM..
Old 05-24-2021, 06:23 PM   #46 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,523 Times in 2,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron1 View Post
CLIMATE SCIENCE BASICS:

It’s warming.
It’s us.
We’re sure.
It’s bad.
We can fix it.
(Thanks to Dr. Kimberly Nicholas for putting it so simply).
1. It's Warming.

Right now, annual global average temperature is about 1° Celsius (1.9°F) hotter than pre-industrial levels.
0° C+1° C← HOTTERGlobal Temperature Index, 1880-2016 (NASA)
The world’s scientists confirmed in the 2018 IPCC report that at the current rate, the world could cross 1.5˚C hotter as soon as 2030. That’s only a decade from now, well within the lifespan of most people alive today.

1.5˚C might not sound like a big increase in temperature, but it’s the difference between life and death for thousands of people.

Earth has always had natural cycles of warming and cooling, but not like we’re seeing now. The top five hottest years on record are 2016, 2015, 2017, 2018, and 2014.

And rising temperatures doesn’t only mean it’s getting hotter. The Earth’s climate is complex — even a small increase in average global temperature means big changes, with lots of dangerous side effects.
Monthly global average temperature relative to pre-industrial average

The last cooler-than-average month was in October 1965. (Climate Central)
2. It’s Us.

Human beings are causing climate change, largely by burning fossil fuels.

Rising temperatures correlate almost exactly with the release of greenhouse gases.

Before the 18th century, when humans in the industrial west began to burn coal, oil and gas, our atmosphere typically contained about 280 parts per million of carbon dioxide. Those are the conditions “on which civilization developed and to which life on earth is adapted.”

Now, as the use of fossil fuels spreads through the world, the amount of carbon in the atmosphere is skyrocketing — we’re now well over 415 parts per million of CO2 in the atmosphere. Read More

CO2 levels throughout history — note the sharp spike at the end. (source: Scripps Institution of Oceanography)
3. We’re Sure.

An overwhelming 97% of scientists agree that climate change is being caused by human greenhouse gas emissions. There is no meaningful debate about the basic science of climate change.

Scientists march at the 2014 People's Climate March in New York City.
Scientists at the 2014 People’s Climate March in New York City.
Scan of 1981 Exxon internal memo acknowledging the role of CO2 emissions in climate change.

1981 Exxon internal memo acknowledging the role of CO2 in causing climate change.
The finding that more CO2 in the atmosphere will warm the climate dates back to the 1890s. Attacks on the credibility of climate science are perpetuated by vested interests, including the fossil fuel industry, which continues to pump money into creating uncertainty about our understanding of climate change. Since the 2015 Paris Agreement, the top 5 oil majors alone have spent a combined $1 billion on misleading climate-related branding and lobbying.

The oil company Exxon knew about climate change’s impact in the 1970s, and found out that action would impact their bottom line. As a result, they joined an industry-wide attack on the truth, creating a false debate that prevented action for decades. Now we know that Exxon, and other companies like Shell, have been taking actions to protect their infrastructure from climate change for decades — while fighting action to protect the rest of us.

It’s also important to listen to indigenous, traditional and local knowledge. In many places of the world elders and community leaders are sharing their understandings of how ecosystems are changing.

If we pay attention to what scientists and frontline communities are telling us, instead of fossil fuel industry deceptions, the message is clear: Humans are causing the rapid onset of climate change, which is already bringing costly impacts across the world. The best way to stop it is by keeping fossil fuels in the ground, and accelerating a just transition to 100% renewable energy. Read more —>

https://350.org/science/#warming
Keep your religious nonsense to your self.

All models versus reality. All you really need to see is the thumb nail, but if you insist the first 13 seconds say it all.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 05-24-2021 at 06:51 PM..
Old 05-24-2021, 06:52 PM   #47 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

I was just going to say, sprinkling in some facts with religious dogma isn't a trick I'm susceptible to fall to.

It's like stating that there are starving people (true), and that if you don't feed them your soul burns for eternity (faith statement).

Lots of truth statements followed by faith statements. Not saying that faith statements aren't also correct, only that they don't follow from statements of fact.

I'm willing to have this discussion for the millionth time, but I doubt the mods are going to tolerate it.

...and the part that made me chuckle the most was this statement
Quote:
It’s also important to listen to indigenous traditional and local knowledge
It's begging the question of "why". I wouldn't consult American Indians from the 1600s on how to function in this modern world... and I am indigenous, native to America. I was born here and have every right that anyone else born here has.

Last edited by redpoint5; 05-24-2021 at 06:58 PM..
Old 05-24-2021, 07:00 PM   #48 (permalink)
Environmentalist

Sure, we can disagree on whether we believe global warming to be real or not, in part due to the conflicting data & evidence presented. But there’s no denying increasing pollution to be a serious problem.

When you throw things away, there is no away. That plastic bag that you may have put in the proper receptacle could have been windswept off a landfill into the ocean.

There’s great companies that offer no plastic packaging, like Sappo Hill bar soaps, which are also toxin free & not individually packaged.

There are a few supermarkets around the world that offer the use of bringing your own containers to refill products and close the loop a little more to create less waste.

As described in the following video, you can’t run a linear system on a finite planet indefinitely. We’d need 4 to 5 planets worth of resources, if we kept consuming at the current rates & incineration creates the following super toxin problem: https://youtu.be/9GorqroigqM

Using less is the solution:
https://youtu.be/6nD2tGLJyHY

Last edited by Galvatron1; 05-25-2021 at 06:00 AM..
Old 05-24-2021, 07:03 PM   #49 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

I'm all for reducing packaging, though it will make the Japanese experience less culturally interesting.

Unfortunately people are susceptible to marketing strategies, and part of that is packaging, so it's designed to boost sales, not to efficiently transport the product.

Old 05-24-2021, 07:16 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,572 Times in 7,058 Posts
oil pan 4 --Keep your quoting concise.

Galvatron1 -- No. You are wrong on Internet.

Quote:
280 PPM CO2 was an historical low. Things are getting better for the plants we depend on.
Quote:
Why do you disparage debate?

Have you accounted for Milankovitch Cycles and the Beaufort Gyre?

Having watched the debate swing from Ice Age in the 1970s to Global Warming to Climate Change today I think the best strategy is infrastructure that can tolerate the extremes in both directions. In fact being able to tolerate Space Weather should be the goal.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Suspicious0bservers

It's all happened before! The CIA has known since the 1970s

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, scam