Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now
 

View Poll Results: How long will it take me to replace my heater core
One day. You got this! 4 33.33%
A week or two. 3 25.00%
A month or two 0 0%
6 - 12 months 5 41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2020, 12:26 AM   #61 (permalink)
Not Doug
 
Xist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Show Low, AZ
Posts: 9,782

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 31.32 mpg (US)
Thanks: 6,594
Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,421 Posts
How to ineffectively test a heater core.

People less intelligent than me:
"Use soapy water to pinpoint the site of air leak."
"[S]ubmerge the entire heater core into a bucket/deep pan of water and watch for air bubbles."
"Dunk the whole mess underwater and see where the air bubbles come from."
"[I]immerse it in the bath to see where any leaks are."
"[S]ubmerge it in the bathtub and you will any leak."

A bathtub?! Why would I waste that much water?!

You may be asking why I am insulting their intelligence and think that sounds perfectly reasonable. The thing is, people invariably suggest what I already tried it. It didn't work. I tell them why. Then they start insulting me and telling me to do it anyway.

What? Again? It is suddenly going to start working?

This was my first thought:


That isn't supposed to be sideways!

I sealed a funnel with gasketmaker, plugged the other hole, filled it with water, and watched for leaks.

Nothing, from either heater core, and I left them for hours.

Well, the system operates under pressure. I need to test it at the same pressure, I don't care what you say Routine_Condition!

All right, I need to replace the funnel with a Schrader valve, and use a bike pump to pressurize it.

The only place in my area that sells Schrader Valves is Tractor Supply. I went to Dollar Tree, bought a bag of sandpaper, and started sanding down the other end.

I wanted to make sure that it sanded down evenly, so I put it in my cordless screwdriver. After about forty-five seconds it started smoking, so I kept giving it at least five minutes to cool down--until the battery died, so I used my drill.

It still took forever.

The $1 sandpaper came with many small sheets, but only one with coarse grit. I was never going to finish with one small sheet, so I bought a pack of full-sized sheets, but they were far too big to hold down, which wasn't safe anyway. I needed a cheap board.

The cheapest thing that I could find at Home Depot or Lowe's was at least $10, but Walmart had a bamboo cutting board for $4 or $5, and it was 9x11, just like the sandpaper. I glued them together, put it facedown on the driveway, and used some cinder blocks to press them together.

I put enough glue around the edges that it squeezed out, but was still loose, although it was good enough.

The other end of the valve had the same shape as the rubber stopper, but I could get the rubber stopper to stay in by itself. The valve didn't. I held it in place while I looked it over and it seemed like I kept accidentally moving the valve and releasing the pressure.

So I used mending brackets:


I used a forstner bit to drill out a hole and nuts, bolts, and washers to hold the braces in place. I pressurized the system, took a picture, set a timer, and both heater cores leaked out.

I did not ask for help until this point. I kept asking if I have three bad heater cores or if I am missing something with my testing rig. That was when I received the useless responses that I shared. Two problems that nobody accepts:

1. Aluminum vessels float.
2. The fins trap air and it would bubble without a leak.

Everyone just doubled down on holding it under water, telling me that I need to do what they say, and insulted me when I told them that I tried it before reaching out and it did not work.

Without a known good heater core I cannot tell if my setup works. I guess that I can find a pipe joint the right diameter, plug one end, insert the valve in the other, clamp them together, and see if it holds pressure. I did not have enough confidence in my system to take the heater core to AutoZone and ask them to exchange it.

How long would that take?

I did not know what to do yesterday besides go ahead, take apart my dash again, and see if that one also holds water, but not air, and just hope that this one actually works.

However, my laptop notified me of a new article, I read it, it suggested this, and I read it too: What Really Happened to Malaysia’s Missing Airplane. I read quickly, but it is 34 pages long! It still took a while!

I spent the rest of the morning playing games on PBSKids.org. I was supposed to have a new teleclient. Our first appointment was scheduled for last week, but the mom forgot that this was teletherapy, and I did not know how to target the kid's goals through Zoom. The previous SLPA brought an iPad and had the kids play games for the entire session. I asked my supervisor for advice and the crazy lady tried to reassign my client to her other SLPA.

I cannot imagine that he sees as few clients as I do. If there were any other speech agencies up here I would have signed on a year ago. There are dozens down there and many SLPAs change agencies a couple of times a year.

Fortunately, I found one person giving me good advice, play a game on my computer, share my screen, and since they do not have a touchscreen, have my client express his wants and needs. After familiarizing myself with a number of games I set up everything and called the mom.

They were having occupational therapy soon. Why did she schedule occupational therapy for when she was supposed to have speech therapy? We rescheduled for later and I only had a short time before my next client. I wasn't going to change out of my work clothes, start working on my car, clean up, and change again.

My second family did not answer and I did not have enough time before seeing that first client, except when I went back out to my office the mom had dropped me saying that her kid would not sit still, and they needed an in-person therapist.

It is not just families that are flaky, but SLPs, too. My brother was supposed to have teletherapy in the morning. I was in the middle of something when Mom started trying to connect. We have been doing this since March. There is no reason for her to still not know how to connect to the lame SLP. I got her connected in a minute or two, but we were twelve minutes late, and after ten the SLP decided to take a walk. Mom called, left voice mail, and sent a text. When I came back from the third time that I didn't see a client Mom was connecting.

This is the SLP that likes to call me in and tell me that I am wrong about made up stuff. I did not want to go back out to my office, it is too warm out there. I did not want to use my desktop and invite the SLP to criticize me.

My session notes were due today, as well as signature sheets, and progress reports. Why am I submitting unsigned signature sheets for teletherapy?

My agency works in mysterious ways, like the three progress reports that I wrote for clients that I did not see.

My supervisor approved the first five progress reports, but rejected some or all or the five that I wrote after my brother's birthday.

It was all five.

She kept messaging me, calling and leaving voice mail, and e-mailing me. Heaven knows that I make mistakes, but she once told me to change my notes to say that something happened that didn't. She rejects notes to have me change correct grammar. She once rejected notes to have me change "Spoke at a high rate of speed" to "Rate of speech."

I feel like she has a quota. She needs to find problems half of the time or she does not feel that she is doing her job, even if the problems are nonsensical.

I replaced the back door handle, took care of dinner, and then my brother asked me to take him to Panda Express [for second dinner].

I started doing all of that last night, but I really wanted to sleep. However, despite taking melatonin, I could not fall asleep until 0130. Then I woke up at 06.

Well, I was going to be productive. I started watering the back lawn and doing paperwork on my desktop.

My brother woke up at 0730 and threw a tantrum. He turned off the water, but refused to tell me if it bothered him.

He turns off the water [the lights, and sometimes the television] all of the time. However, I did eventually help him write "I want to turn off the water please" on his iPad.

The tantrum continued. He refused to answer any questions, but eventually I helped him write "I want to turn off the computer please."

The tantrum continued. I kept asking what he wanted and eventually he asked for breakfast. I took care of it, he calmed down, and I finished my notes, did the signature sheets, reviewed and resubmitted my progress reports, and messaged my supervisor that I approved her changes. She told me to add something superfluous to one client's report, but not the sibling's, or the other two teleclients. I told her where I added it.

She once tried to lecture me about my notes being on her license--all because I put an Oxford Comma in my notes.

How dare I?!

For four of the last five progress reports she rejected them and just wrote "review and resubmit." Can you imagine how much I would appreciate her telling me what she changed, since this is on my license?!

She rejected one of them claiming that I did not add the thing that I told her where I put it.

Someone get me into grad school!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200704_101514.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	28716   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200708_171603.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	28717  
__________________
"Oh if you use math, reason, and logic you will be hated."--OilPan4

Last edited by Xist; 07-11-2020 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: My images disappeared!
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 07-11-2020, 10:13 AM   #62 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
nemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: US
Posts: 958

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 23.13 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 21.28 mpg (US)
Thanks: 184
Thanked 218 Times in 172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
The thing is, people invariably suggest what I already tried it.
Is there a list of thing you have tried? Have you tried attaching (can it be done?) the core (not installed) to the hoses this would allow it to be both pressurized and heated?

If you have replaced multiple cores and the problem persists you need to re-trouble shoot. Go back to the beginning, why did you think it was the heater core?
__________________

  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nemo For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 10:16 AM   #63 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU
 
California98Civic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Coastal Southern California
Posts: 6,055

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanks: 2,284
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,366 Posts
The Oxford comma debate is petty, arcane, and pointless because the serial comma is unimportant for precision, implication or intent. Serial is serial, not cereal.
__________________
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 04:14 PM   #64 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU
 
California98Civic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Coastal Southern California
Posts: 6,055

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanks: 2,284
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
... Go back to the beginning, why did you think it was the heater core?
^^
__________________
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:19 PM   #65 (permalink)
EcoModding Newb
 
redpoint5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,059

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 26.38 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 28.8 mpg (US)
Thanks: 2,688
Thanked 3,158 Times in 2,352 Posts
For one thing, you can test a core for leaks by covering one end, and blowing into the other to see if there's any leaks.
__________________
Gas and Electric Vehicle Cost of Ownership Calculator







Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:29 PM   #66 (permalink)
Not Doug
 
Xist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Show Low, AZ
Posts: 9,782

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 31.32 mpg (US)
Thanks: 6,594
Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,421 Posts
I do not know what in the world happened to my images, but I put them back!

This was my first test:
I sealed a funnel in one hole, put a rubber stopper in the other, and neither heater core leaked. I left them for hours.

This was my first test:

I sanded down a Schrader valve, put it in one hole, put a rubber stopper in the other, held them in place with mending braces, and used a bike pump to pressurize the heater core to 16 PSI, what the cooling system is rated.

Both leaked out within a few minutes.

I may have lost my images inexplicably, but the explanation was still there!
__________________
"Oh if you use math, reason, and logic you will be hated."--OilPan4
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:34 PM   #67 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU
 
California98Civic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Coastal Southern California
Posts: 6,055

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanks: 2,284
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,366 Posts
Then your heater core apparently does not leak, and I have to return you to nemo's idea:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
... Go back to the beginning, why did you think it was the heater core?
__________________
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:59 AM   #68 (permalink)
Not Doug
 
Xist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Show Low, AZ
Posts: 9,782

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 31.32 mpg (US)
Thanks: 6,594
Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,421 Posts
My heater core doesn't leak because it loses all of the air?!

I just assumed that it was bad when I originally described the symptoms and everyone here said "Oh yeah, your heater core is definitely bad, just bypass it!"

I drowned it under a brick today. After twelve hours I could not see any additional bubbles. I inserted the plug and Schrader valve, bolted on the brackets, pressurized it, and there were some slow bubbles coming from the bike pump itself, so I disconnected it. There were not any visible bubbles, but when I returned a couple of hours later all of the air was gone.

I was out at 06 working on it again, but when I removed the first nut it fell into the depths of the engine bay. I absolutely could not find it. I poked around with a flashlight and magnet on an extension. I poked around with my leaf blower. I lowered it and shook the car as much as possible.

Nothing.

I had a huge knot in my back, so I went inside, took ibuprofen, and laid down for a while.

It didn't seem to get any better.

I went back out and did about the first seven pages of instructions. Now I just need to remove the center panel, disconnect some cables under the steering wheel, ten bolts, seven nuts, twenty-eight screws, two brackets, and three pieces of trim.
__________________
"Oh if you use math, reason, and logic you will be hated."--OilPan4

Last edited by Xist; 07-13-2020 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: pump, not bump.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:27 AM   #69 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
nemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: US
Posts: 958

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 23.13 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 21.28 mpg (US)
Thanks: 184
Thanked 218 Times in 172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
My heater core doesn't leak because it loses all of the air?!

Where, from the core or your connection?

I just assumed that it was bad when I originally described the symptoms and everyone here said "Oh yeah, your heater core is definitely bad, just bypass it!"

And what were they? I have a short memory. The bypass resolved it?
?

I drowned it under a brick today. After twelve hours I could not see any additional bubbles. I inserted the plug and Schrader valve, bolted on the brackets, pressurized it, and there were some slow bubbles coming from the bike bump itself, so I disconnected it. There were not any visible bubbles, but when I returned a couple of hours later all of the air was gone.

I was out at 06 working on it again, but when I removed the first nut it fell into the depths of the engine bay. I absolutely could not find it. I poked around with a flashlight and magnet on an extension. I poked around with my leaf blower. I lowered it and shook the car as much as possible.

Nothing.

You have to turn it upside down and shake.

I had a huge knot in my back, so I went inside, took ibuprofen, and laid down for a while.

It didn't seem to get any better.

You forgot the hot shower and the ice! I play a doctor on the internet.

I went back out and did about the first seven pages of instructions. Now I just need to remove the center panel, disconnect some cables under the steering wheel, ten bolts, seven nuts, twenty-eight screws, two brackets, and three pieces of trim.
Make sure your leak isn't coming from the connections. I wouldn't want to be taking it apart agin.
__________________

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:20 PM   #70 (permalink)
Not Doug
 
Xist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Show Low, AZ
Posts: 9,782

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 31.32 mpg (US)
Thanks: 6,594
Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,421 Posts
What is this, the Spanish Inquisition?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
[F]rom [where does it leak] the core or your connection?
I want to ask which connection, my car or the test, but both leak, and I am still trying to figure out why. Maybe a different gauge, also a dial, but not attached to a bike pump, would show the instant pressure, but not leak, and I could try to do a time-lapse video, but a couple of people have given me an idea that will give me a definitive answer.

I just need to take apart my car first.

Then it gets complicated!

Quote:
And what were they? I have a short memory. The bypass resolved it?
Hey, have we ever discussed my memory? I do not recall.

The heater core went out three years ago. You want me to test and replace my heater core, as well as find a discussion from dozens of months ago?!

Actually, I found it before I took apart my car. Only a maniac would commence a huge project on a whim!

Quote:
You have to turn it upside down and shake.
That wouldn't have done my back any favors!
  1. Buy a $1,000 car rotisserie.
  2. Remove the entire engine compartment.
  3. Fabricate mounting arms.
  4. Rotate car.
  5. Shake vigorously.
  6. ????
  7. Profit!
If nothing else, I should definitely find the nut during #2, which I might as well do while waiting for #1.

Quote:
You forgot the hot shower and the ice! I play a doctor on the internet.

I do not have any idea when my back started feeling better, but it was after showering and using a hair dryer on the knot. Just imagine what would have happened if I did that instead of taking ibuprofen and lying down! I would have accomplished far more and gotten to sleep at a reasonable time!
Quote:
Make sure your leak isn't coming from the connections. I wouldn't want to be taking it apart agin.
I need to take it apart to check the connections!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	481day.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	28718  
__________________
"Oh if you use math, reason, and logic you will be hated."--OilPan4
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com