View Poll Results: How long will it take me to replace my heater core
One day. You got this! 4 33.33%
A week or two. 3 25.00%
A month or two 0 0%
6 - 12 months 5 41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2020, 02:55 AM   #81 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I have only cut the top and sides of my hair since TPgate started. The back is free-range.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-20-2020, 12:42 PM   #82 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I have only cut the top and sides of my hair since TPgate started. The back is free-range.
A "Modern Mullet"!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200720_094053.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	28773  
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-20-2020, 01:06 PM   #83 (permalink)
Not Doug

Does Walmart sell vests? Ooh! What about a utility vest?!
[nobody mention all of the projects that I need to do!]
Old 07-20-2020, 01:44 PM   #84 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
... [nobody mention all of the projects that I need to do!]
I just wanna compliment your DIY mullet. There, one project complete!
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-21-2020, 01:57 AM   #85 (permalink)
Not Doug

Quote:
I will be installing Helicoils tomorrow, buying replacement screws, testing the heater core, and reinstalling.
[sigh] I am 1 for 4 and not the big one. There were plenty more things on the list, just not relevant for this thread. Sorry OP for going off-topic!

I had not made Kashi muffins for weeks and I bought these absurd pans for my brother's birthday a couple of weeks back:

Those are full-sized cups. This is one pan to rule them all-except I bought two. Each of them takes up most of the oven rack.

Yeah, that is undesirable. I always rotate what I am baking halfway through to ensure that they are evenly baked, but the pan is so big and awkward that the muffins fell when I rotated them, despite being as careful as posisble, so I need to see if the oven cooks evenly after all.

Who knows? Mom cooked salman and it melted some of the paint!

It wasn't important, but I had an entire box of Kashi soaking in 3 cups of milk in a big bowl in the refrigerator.

It turns out that my brother is a stinker. Apparently he pulled back the plastic wrap in one spot and grabbed a handful of cereal.

Why wouldn't you want soggy cereal?!

I didn't feel like letting it sit for another day or two, although being the muffin man is time-intensive.

For some reason I was falling asleep after eating 9 muffins. Carb coma? Kashi has 11g of protein per serving and more than half of the flour was almond, but I am sure that I still ate a ridiculous amount of muffins. However, I was only able to sleep four hours last night, and four hours the night before.

I got up and bought some M4x.7 screws for the clamps, but Ace was already closed, so instead of driving less than a mile and maneuvering a small store, I drove almost six miles, and walked around a warehouse.

The other thing is that Ace has a much more user-friendly fastener section. I felt like that was an excessive amount of work for 64¢.

It fit!

I cut a 1" section of inner tube, but it was a pain to work that much tight rubber on the joint. I think that half an inch would have been much better. Maybe a wider inner tube would be, too, but would that be too thick?

There is a tiny amount of movement when I wiggle them.

I could have commenced Heater Core Test Mach Three, but I really wanted to do that during the day!

So, I took Zzzquil and melatonin, but I remembered that I had not signed my school contract. I checked everywhere I could find for local speech jobs.

I guess that this is my best opportunity!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	I am the muffin man.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	28777  
Old 07-22-2020, 03:29 AM   #86 (permalink)
Not Doug

No real progress today. Sorry, eh.

Remainders from Monday's to-do list:
  1. Installing Helicoils
  2. Testing the heater core
  3. Reinstalling the heater core

Someone called TheMazzy gave me the idea on Imgur July 8th. I thought that someone here mentioned it and I wanted to give him an honorable mention, but I cannot find it now. It turns out that all I needed came in the box. As I mentioned here, I flushed the radiator, disconnected the hoses going to the heater core, connected aluminum pipes to the hoses, which I had clamped to the heater core. I filled the radiator with 100% water and idled for as long as I could before seeing my client. I took her for a drive afterward and it seemed to be leaking from the joints, but hopefully new clamps won't have that issue:

Right before I saw my last client my brother asked me to take him to Family Dollar. It used to be that if he asked to go somewhere I took him as soon as I could. I try to encourage him to communicate as much as possible.

I don't like taking him anywhere anymore. If he says that he wants a Whopper I go and get one for him. We wanted to make sure that he wanted something specific, not just to wander through the entire store, and then retrace his steps in reverse.

"What do you want from Family Dollar?"
"I want Family Dollar."

We phrased it as many ways as we could and he gave us the exact same answer each and every time. He wasn't really communicating, he undoubtedly just wanted to walk down every aisle in each direction, and there was a risk to taking him, but we just wanted to get over with it.

I wanted to hurry, bring him home, and then run to Walmart for distilled water, but it was too close to his bath time, and before he can take a bath he needs to close the curtains, take out the garbage and recycling, and a few other things.

It is aggravating. We need to get him into the bath so we can keep him on schedule. Sometimes he quickly takes care of everything and other nights it takes an hour or two and he may do the exact same thing after his bath.

Don't kid yourself that it is any faster to do these things myself. He will throw a tantrum and then, for example, open the curtains, roam the house for a while, close them, wander around, and repeat for far too long.

There was one day that I was so frustrated with my brother wasting my time I announced that I was going to have him pay for my heater core installation, but of course I won't.

I will do it myself.

Eventually.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:24 AM   #87 (permalink)
Not Doug

I need to run to Walmart and buy distlled water. I want to run a gallon or two through my radiator hoping to wash out sediments and then fill it with the proper mix. Unfortunately, my Accord battery terminals are ridiculously corroded, so I will buy some Diet Battery Cleaner, and take care of the battery.

The city is turning off the water at 08 and do not give any indication when they are turning it back on. I want to wake up at 06, rinse out and fill the 55-gallon drum that I bought when everyone bought out water jugs, and water the lawns. Unfortunately, my brother threw a tantrum the last time that I started watering early.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:24 AM   #88 (permalink)
Not Doug

I went to bed late, tossed and turned for altogether too long, and woke up at 06. I watered the front lawn, rinsed out and filled the 55-gallon drum, that I have up on cinder blocks. That took so long that it was time to move the sprinkler.

My brother had teletherapy and there were technical problems, so I logged him in five times.

Back when I was dating someone she asked my brother if he washed his hands. Apparently he didn't normally do that and he never seemed to do a very good job. Back in March I stated supervising him.

The weirdo does the soap first, then water!

They didn't turn off the water at 08. I do not know when they did, but the first that we knew of it my brother went to the bathroom and Mom asked if he didn't have any water. I got up to help him with the pitcher full of water next to the sink and he just wiped his hands on my towel.

Thanks!

I did not end up using much water from the barrel, but I was glad that it was there!

I finally got some sleep and then bought the distilled water and diet battery cleaner. I drained out what was in there and ran another two gallons through. I feel like I should test out the other core, but would I flush before and after that?

Ideally I would go back to Napa, get another coupler, and a short hose. That would make hooking up the other heater core far easier!

I just want to get my Accord running again and then my Civic, no more mad science with my one reliable vehicle.

Last edited by Xist; 07-25-2020 at 02:08 AM.. Reason: Clarity. I didn't capitalize the first word in a sentence.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:48 AM   #89 (permalink)
Not Doug

Heater core reinstallation has been delayed due to atmospheric anomalies.

I was going to work on my car Thursday morning, but the mom of my one teleclient confirmed and then called and asked me to change up the activities, she was worried that he would get bored. I responded that I tried to keep them constant until he met his goals, but would see what I could do, and I spent a couple of hours preparing materials for a session that lasted 25 minutes. I cleaned the Accord's battery terminals and then it started raining. It was quite windy, so I did not want to set up one of my awnings.

I tried out the YouTube commenter's suggestion for testing the heater core. It is easier than my method and doesn't require flushing the radiator [twice], but I have taken care to test my heater core at the pressure for which it is rated. How do I match that with a hose?

I believe that I needed to put a hose clamp over the joint to prevent the inner tube from blowing out, but the heater core seemed to hold.

I ate some chips with soup and started falling asleep. Carb coma?! I woke up at 2100 realizing that I had not submitted my notes, so I apologized to my supervisor, took my brother for a walk, and wrote my notes.

I really should have finished this last week. It is absurd this is taking me two.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:15 AM   #90 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
... It is absurd this is taking me two.
You have been taking care of other responsibilities, like work and family and carb induced naps. Life is absurd. There is always something to regret. Accept it. Do what's next. Eventually, you'll get the Civic running. Like I said, if I were closeby I would help.

Reply  Post New Thread