Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #21 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlvs2run View Post
Funny, out of all these responses, Ryland was the only one intelligent enough to offer a solution to the question.
That pretty much says it all, doesn't it?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Rover - '10 Mazda Tribute isport
I was in a serious accident about 5 years ago. A Ford Explorer pulled out in front of me on a 70 mph highway. I was driving a 96 Toyota Corolla and had to choose between hitting the Explorer or another car head on. I chose the Explorer and braked as hard as possible. My car was destroyed, the airbags deployed but I never heard them or felt them. I was buckled in and when I came to a halt I was still in one piece and my glasses were still on my face. I've been a firm believer in belts and airbags ever since. Just my 2 cents.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hmiwb For This Useful Post:
cfguy2000 (03-23-2011), euromodder (03-24-2011), j12piprius (03-21-2011)
Old 03-21-2011, 08:57 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
If you have evidence then why not post a link instead of a spurious download.

Too bad that idea doesn't work, any more than having spikes on the steering wheel would save lives.
The links are to the NHTSA reports on fatalities and lives saved due to air bags are in my posts in this thread. If you can't figure out how to read those, then regardless of how much you want to disable your air bags I doubt you'll be able to do so.

Quote:
They're in your airbag.
Ha! At least I know you'll never be able to get at them.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #24 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Why would they be a time bomb waiting to happen
There are millions of hem out on the roads.
Freak accidents with them are very rare.

Crashing without them, is far more likely to cause serious grief than the extremely rare accidental deployment of an airbag.

Don't fool yourself into thinking you have full control over what happens on the road.
If you ever wondered what drove down the number of traffic deaths, rest assured it wasn't people's driving skills.

But as they say, you can't stop a fool from acting like one.
Some say it's foolish to even try and stop them from being foolish.
On this issue I am indifferent, there are DEFINATELY times when the airbag should be deactivated and definately times it should not be...

Actually freak accidents with airbags are relatively common, its just that they NORMALLY do not kill you or even seriously injure you, although there is a fairly large number of broken noses and other minor injuries from low speed collisions due to airbags.

They just don't get reported all that much because they aren't usually all that serious. I know at least 4 living people who have had airbags go off at some point when they probably should not have. None have caused any serious problem beyond bruises and major expense. Although I will admit those cars were probably all made prior to 1998, maybe a factor.

That said getting a broken nose from an airbag is probably less hazardous than if you rammed into the dash or steering wheel at speed.

Airbags are most dangerous to people who are not in the normal 20-80th percentile. If you are outside that range, too small, too short, etc they can be a hazard because you may not be the proper distance from them hence why they are bad for children and babies.

My grandmother died from injuries due to an airbag deployment some time later. She was small and likely too close to the airbag and she was sitting a bit to the side talking to her friend no doubt. It smashed the heck out of her leg, she survived the accident but died of blood clots from the airbag

Cheers
Ryan May
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
j12piprius (03-21-2011)
Old 03-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Which reminds me, you know what's more fun than arguing on the internet? Minecraft. I've got an underground tree farm, plus a small wheat farm whose only source of light is incandescent magma. You're unlikely to die in a minecart crash, but you may be eaten by zombies and giant spiders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucey View Post
God, I hate creepers. They pretty much are just there to wreck your pretty little home.
Time for an ecomodder/ecorenovator minecraft server?
Old 03-21-2011, 11:40 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
U.S. airbags are designed to be used without seat belts, and are therefore more forceful and dangerous.
You are just SO wrong on so many of your "facts" concerning airbags.

Where in the world did you get the idea that they (in the U.S.) are designed to be used "without seatbelts". Please point to the documentation you are referring to.

Oh, that's right, you can't. Airbags are indeed to be used in conjunction with seatbelts. Actually won't do the job they're designed to do without them.

Frankly, if you're worried about "any inoculous (sic) bump" or having a "time bomb" in your car, you have some serious issues that need to be dealt with. You do realize that you Honda has a gas tank, right, with a liquid inside that gives off explosive fumes!!!! OMG, what are you doing to take care of that little problem??

BTW, yes, it's definitely illegal to tamper with emissions controls or the air bag systems.

I'm curious: Are you on your own or do you have people that ride with you? If so, are you letting them know that you've disabled the airbags? Are you going to tell the next owner that you've done that? Sheeesh.....

I am very happy that I'm not riding in your car.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:51 PM   #27 (permalink)
Liberty Lover

pris prius - '12 Toyota plug in prius
90 day: 71.09 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by return2pa View Post
it's definitely illegal to tamper with ... the air bag systems.
BS - it is not illegal for an owner to disable or remove the airbags.

And even if it were, which it isn't, I would have the inalienable right to remove them, to protect myself and the people I care about.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:42 AM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I stand corrected; it is illegal to disable them if you don't ask permission to do so

Frequently Asked Questions on the Exemptions to the Make Inoperative Prohibition

Did you ask? I'm thinking probably not. Therefore it's illegal. Are you going to tell the next owner of your car? Probably not.

Funny how you supposedly care about people and yet disable a safety device.

If you have an accident and the insurance company finds the airbags were tampered with by you, I see a huge lawsuit in your future from those people you "care" about. Or from the next owner of your car. You say you would have the "inalienable right" to do this even if it were illegal? You're above the law for some reason???

If you're so scared and paranoid that you think a minor bump is going to set off the airbags and kill you, you probably shouldn't be driving. But as someone else said, natural selection will take care of you.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:52 AM   #29 (permalink)
Liberty Lover

pris prius - '12 Toyota plug in prius
90 day: 71.09 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the link
The make inoperative prohibition (and so the exemptions) do not apply to individuals modifying their own vehicles, as long as they do not intend to make the changes for the purpose of resale. If you are making a modification to your own vehicle, Federal law does not apply, so you can do whatever you want
Let's confine any additional responses to how to disable the airbags in the honda.

Otherwise you're off topic. Thanks.

Last edited by j12piprius; 03-22-2011 at 02:39 AM..
Old 03-22-2011, 01:11 AM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Well you're the one who's afraid to remove them.
Where did I say I'm afraid to remove them?? I've driven most of my life without them in most of my cars. Airbags have been around since the '70's and are a very well proven safety device, in particular newer designs which are smart and will deploy with more/less force as needed, etc.

But since newer cars like my Yaris have them and they DO work, I'm just strongly implying that anyone who does remove/disable them is an idiot and is a few fries short of a happy meal

Good luck to you my friend. You're gonna need it.