Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

My dads girlfriend worked in a TV factory banging the finished product with a mallet to see if there were any loose connections. Day in day out for 20 years right next to working TV's. She got degeneration of the spinal cord and ongoing neck problems.

A girlfriend of mine had a sister who passed of leukemia. They had a power pylon in their back yard.

My dad fixed TV's at home and I used to hover around the soldering iron as a child I liked the smell of solder and burning flux. I have some lung problems now and bronchitis as a child which got better when I got older.

I know farmers who put pregnant cows in paddocks under transmission lines and pylons have higher miscarriage rates.

A dowser went to New Guinea and dowsed ghost villages where people and their animals did not thrive. Generally these ghost villages were located over underground stream crossings, which cause disturbances in the earths magnetic fields.

We have a bunch of vets seeking compensation for having to watch nuclear bomb testing in the 50's from close proximity. Even their offspring have issues.

Sperm levels in NZ males are dropping yearly and fertility businesses are a real growth area in the west. News items on TV have warned of 'wearing' a cell phone all day.

EMF pollution should not be dismissed so lightly and if the gen1 Insight in question is really extraordinarily high, well, I'd try to make it right.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-24-2009, 06:11 PM   #32 (permalink)
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
All I know is that I personally don't know of any such stories. I was top of my class many years ago in TV/Radio repair and I knew some older guys that spent their entire lives behind crt TV sets right near the high voltage areas and I honestly don't know if how any of them died because they were mostly a senor group of friends that were all alive and healthy the last I knew. I used to build Jacobs ladders out of electric water heater's 10,000 volt transformers and play with the thing as a kid. I'm only 44 but I sure can not tell that any EMFs have done anything to me. I too have burned, and still do, my share of solider. Like I say, so far I feel the same and I have done these kinds of things with electronics, high voltages, old CRT TV sets (a matter of fact I have in this very room an older type CRT TV set with a bad flyback transformer which arcs often. I am not worried.

It was not that long ago people were saying cell phones caused brain tumors, micro-wave ovens were killers and the police were "sue-ing" the makers of radar guns claiming that because they tucked the radar guns between their legs that the men got cancer in their private parts. - Nothing came out of the radar suit, and I have never heard of anything I see as proof that cell phones do anything more than transmit a signal. Do people still fear their Microwave ovens??

I do not mean to disagree so much. But on this issue I have spent most of my life, ever since a little boy, around things with high EMFs (take florescent lights for example) and so far I feel fine. We all die when our number comes up, but making such connections with EMFs is an issue I see no proof of, based on what I have seen in my personal life.

I'm sure there are studies that seem to prove any view point. But I base some things on personal experience and observations. Everyone is entitled to their views and I do respect that. Sometimes we just have to agree to disagree.

I do support more study on EMFs as long as the money is spent on real experts really working and not some give away grant from the taxpayers for a small group to stall and stall with no answers.

Last edited by Jammer; 09-25-2009 at 01:22 AM.. Reason: Fixed typo, amended ending.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
IHMO, the problem is not field strength per se - the earth's field is safe for us - but the fluctuations, which can affect the rate of subtle chemical reactions. Some people are much more sensitive to noticing such changes than others. This, in turn, can be exacerbated to almost any degree by worrying about it. It makes sense to avoid big risks, that are not exhilarating, but avoiding all small risks would only make sense if we were otherwise immortal. Something will kill us anyway, whether we have had time to enjoy life or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bicycle Bob For This Useful Post:
blueflame (09-24-2009)
Old 09-24-2009, 10:57 PM   #34 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1
Generally speaking its assumed that so long as there is at least 1 uninterrupted ferrous panel between the the motor and the occupants, there should be plenty of shielding.
Ferrous, eh? Does that mean the revered aluminium foil deflector beanie does nothing? How about a layer of steel foil? It would be trivial to line the IMA compartment and/or firewall with that.

You also mention an EMI chamber. I'm sure that's the most accurate method money can buy, but what's wrong with these: http://www.powerlinefacts.com/Meters.htm
or with more sophisticated, handheld meters?
Old 09-24-2009, 11:46 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Good to see some well balanced arguments.

Fluctuating fields, added to proximity, and strength of field, as importance.

I still aint watching no atomic bombs! And I still dont use a microwave or give my mobile number out to people. Hell, I dont even carry the thing. I give my home number.

My dad was around electronics all his life then came home and watched TV with the family, smoked and drank alcohol, and lived till 74years, eventually succumbing to prostrate cancer.

Aluminum Insight problematic? I'm sure if there is an issue it can be modded and earthed out or something?

Does anyone remember the Toxic Avenger?

Old 09-25-2009, 10:28 AM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Exploder - '02 Ford Explorer xlt

Rolla - '02 Toyota Corolla ce
Team Toyota
90 day: 44.43 mpg (US)
Any conductive metal can be used for shielding. An EM field will induce a counteracting current in the shielding, which also generates a field. The result is that, outside of the shielding, the sum of the two fields in zero (or close to it). It does not need to be a ferrous material. In fact, many shoplifters use bags lined with thin aluminum foil, a crude Farraday cage, to prevent the RFID from working.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #37 (permalink)
EcoHypermiler

This stuff has been beat to death ever since the production of hybrid 's cars began.

To protect yourself from potential EMF's in life, it would be easier to wrap your body in chicken wire, aluminum foil, lead or whatever the latest fashion is.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #38 (permalink)
Chevy and CB Radio Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Jammer
Just wait until the Chevy Volt, a plug in charge type car, comes out. They are already claiming 230 MPG and it's not even for sale until late 2010. I bet they have the same issues with very high EMFs because The Volt works the opposite of typical hybrids, The Volt is a plug-in electric charge car that uses a very small gasoline engine to keep it's batteries charged. So, in other words, The Volt sounds like it will be more electrified than any hybrid ever produced. It will be interesting for me to see if that car does well or flops in the market place.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:23 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I suppose it comes down to design and sheilding, as to how much a vehicles driver and occupants receive EMF radiation.

Originally in this thread I was looking for confirmation or denial of the meter readings found on a Generation 1 Honda Insight.

I drove one last week and was all set to buy it, until I came across the letter from the disgruntled owner about the EMF's.

I would appreciate if anyone had some more information on the old Honda Insight.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:36 PM   #40 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflame View Post
I suppose it comes down to design and sheilding, as to how much a vehicles driver and occupants receive EMF radiation.

Originally in this thread I was looking for confirmation or denial of the meter readings found on a Generation 1 Honda Insight.

I drove one last week and was all set to buy it, until I came across the letter from the disgruntled owner about the EMF's.

I would appreciate if anyone had some more information on the old Honda Insight.
Blueflame - Even if you buy the thing, and you got a great deal on it, you could turn around and sell it rather quickly if you decided that it wasn't for you, for the same price or even more than you bought it for.

There is just no real sense in passing up a deal without proof that it could be something harmful, especially when you stand to make your money back easily if it turns out to be something not cool for you.

Reply  Post New Thread