Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 02:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
Hydrogen Cell / Hydrogen Generation

I am hoping that someone here can shed some light on my concerns and perhaps set my logic straight on this matter.

Long ago, I learned that the Earth has a fixed amount of water in various states; Liquid, gas & solid. With that said, the Earth cannot run out of water, simply continue to change its state.

Now It is also my understanding that Hydrogen fuel cells have water as a by product. Is this because of a complex HHO conversion or are we literally producing water? If we are producing water and this technology flourishes, then I see a problem. Supplying extra water to the Earth. Which could lead to global warming, elevated sea levels and increased humidity.

Ami I completely wrong in thinking this way, or what?

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-13-2008, 02:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

My GSR - '96 Acura Integra GSR
90 day: 35 mpg (US)

My 500F - '04 Suzuki GS500F
90 day: 62.99 mpg (US)
I think you answered your own question. Water just changes state.

An HHO setup takes distilled water and converts it to H2 and O. The engine burns these gasses with the result being water. The water then exits your cars tail pipe. There is no creation of more water because you started with the same water.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

That is correct for HHO, however what are Hydrogen Cell vehicles? I saw in a commercial that a hydrogen cell car produces water as its by-product, what do you know of those?

If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 08-13-2008, 03:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
A hydrogen fuel cell combines hydrogen and oxygen to make electricity (to drive an electric motor). Its byproduct is also water.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
trikkonceptz -

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikkonceptz View Post
I am hoping that someone here can shed some light on my concerns and perhaps set my logic straight on this matter.

Long ago, I learned that the Earth has a fixed amount of water in various states; Liquid, gas & solid. With that said, the Earth cannot run out of water, simply continue to change its state.

Now It is also my understanding that Hydrogen fuel cells have water as a by product. Is this because of a complex HHO conversion or are we literally producing water? If we are producing water and this technology flourishes, then I see a problem. Supplying extra water to the Earth. Which could lead to global warming, elevated sea levels and increased humidity.

Ami I completely wrong in thinking this way, or what?
I wouldn't worry about the water in terms of Global Warming because it's not a "greenhouse gas".

The local "microclimate", however is another matter. I do have this running "what if" joke. What if all the cars in Los Angeles were suddenly fuel cell vehicles? My guess is that the humidity would shoot up and maybe we'd have lot's of "June Gloom" foggy dayzzzz, ala San Francisco.

Mayyyyyybeeeeee all the rain in BladeRunner is just a byproduct of fuel cells!!!!!! :

See all that white smoke!?!?!?!? I say that's steam!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 08-13-2008, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
A hydrogen fuel cell combines hydrogen and oxygen to make electricity (to drive an electric motor). Its byproduct is also water.
So you see what I'm getting to, if these are gases combined separately from independant sources and not derived from water then we are producing water, which will offset the balance in nature. Now 1-100 cars not much impact, but lets say all cars over a hundred years, plus any machinery that is converted and this does become the next big problem, because we cannot simply dispose of water ... It is not a green house gas, but it can turn our planet into a tropical rainforest ... LOL

Old 08-13-2008, 05:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I see what you are asking. I remember reading that much of the commercial hydrogen is derived from methane/natural gas. This does not seem to be different then any other hydro-carbon so when used in a fuel cell it still combines with oxygen producing water. Oxygen is pulled from the air just like an ICE would burn hydrogen so the equation is the same as petrol but cleaner.

I doesn't seem like too big of a concern though. It seems nature has built in negative feedback loops like if CO2 or water vapor levels get too high then plant life will flourish to take more of it out of the air.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverknight View Post
I doesn't seem like too big of a concern though. It seems nature has built in negative feedback loops like if CO2 or water vapor levels get too high then plant life will flourish to take more of it out of the air.
That would be true of CO2, but nature has no answer for added water, simply elevating sea level. And yes, that would take millenia I'm sure, plus the fact that before it became a problem we would develop some other energy source to destroy our planet.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikkonceptz View Post
That would be true of CO2, but nature has no answer for added water, simply elevating sea level. And yes, that would take millenia I'm sure, plus the fact that before it became a problem we would develop some other energy source to destroy our planet.
Maybe we can take the extra water and send it down into the oil fields as steam to extract more oil. Looks like they are doing that already
Old 08-14-2008, 06:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
trikkonceptz -
I wouldn't worry about the water in terms of Global Warming because it's not a "greenhouse gas".
You got it So So wrong with that statement

Quote:
Water vapor is the most important greenhouse gas!

In a very rough approximation the following trace gases contribute to the greenhouse effect:
60% water vapor
20% carbon dioxide (CO2)
The rest (~20%) is caused by ozone (O3), nitrous oxide (N2O), methane (CH4), and several other species.
water vapor form hydrogen fuel cells is more detrimental to the world than burning (petrol) gas the upside is that you can build condensers to trap the water into the exhaust

I cant really answer the first question because i dont know. I know HHO is not a problem , you take water split it burn it then it recombines to form water again. i will have to get on google.

Reply  Post New Thread