Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2008, 11:23 PM   #171 (permalink)
DieselMiser

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitevette View Post
Long story short : I finally was issued two US Patents on my concept ... and can tell you : No, the addition of more water vapor to the intake air will not affect your engine / exhaust system. The IC engine (ICE) already generates huge amounts of water vapor in the combustion of gasoline...so there is no problem. I was able to generate so much water vapor, the spark plugs shorted ( no spark) and the dyno engine just stopped running ( like the key had been turned off!). This was about 1:1 liquid gasoline to liquid water ( by volume). This is damp!! A true supersaturization of water vapor in the air.
Comments?
The addition of water to your intake can cause problems with your engine. Even with a proper water injection systems you must be careful. You must allow the engine to get up to temp before you turn it on and allow sufficient time for the engine to run with out water injection to boil off any water that has been mixed in with your oil before you shut the engine down.

I also think its important to point out that water formed by combustion is created by an exothermic reaction with more than enough energy to keep it in a gas phase until it leaves the exhaust. Any water that enters the cylinder in liquid form will absorb heat from the combustion. To much water and it will prevent all the water from boiling and it will reduce exhaust temperatures to the point the water will condense in the exhaust.

There are several papers on water injection done by the N.A.C.A and can be found under the subject of internal coolants. It is also important to note that rust inhibitors are often mixed with water in water injection systems to mitigate damage to engines.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-25-2008, 03:04 PM   #172 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnClark View Post
Even with a proper water injection systems you must be careful.
You must allow the engine to get up to temp before you turn it on and allow sufficient time for the engine to run with out water injection

to boil off any water that has been mixed in with your oil before you shut the engine down.

Any water that enters the cylinder in liquid form will absorb heat from the combustion.

To much water and it will prevent all the water from boiling and it will reduce exhaust temperatures to the point the water will condense in the exhaust.

... rust inhibitors....
Ahem! Your comments don't indicate a working knowledge of water VAPOR and the IC engine;ie, you indicate a need to purge the engine prior to shut-down ( this is quite true) but "getting the engine up to temp. before you turn it on" does not apply when water VAPOR is the medium added. Vapor is a gas, and behaves as such. A supersaturated vapor is like a cocked gun...nothing happens unless the trigger ( in this case, temperature drop) is pulled. Do you have any idea how hot a compressed air/fuel charge gets prior to ignition? Ask Dr. Diesel.
"Boil off any water that has been mixed in with your oil before you shut the engine down." Where is this additional water gonna come from? From the combustion process? That process makes lots of water vapor , anyhow. Are you saying a "normal" amount of water vapor (lots) is OK? Or, all of it must be removed? Does anyone do this now? I think not. More than 3 miles traveled or so and the oil is very hot on shutdown, anyhow. In a sealed atmosphere, it's going to the bottom of the oil pan when the oil cools. Isn't this one of the reasons behind changing the oil periodically? Condensate, acids, carbon particles, and such.
" Any water that enters the cylinder in liquid form will absorb heat from the combustion." Water in liquid form is dangerous! Liquid water does not compress...and hydraulic locking will occur...breaking aluminum piston crowns and cast iron (rings) ... and bank accounts.
"To (sic) much water and it will prevent all the water from boiling..." and something about the exhaust system. This comment makes no sense at all. Boiling is not the issue, here. Boiling occurs at 100 degrees C and standard pressure. Not gasoline combustion environs.
I trust the readership sees this. Handled properly, water VAPOR is a piece-of-cake ( except when it freezes! Then, throw money at it...called denatured alcohol - anti-freeze). Rusting is not the problem most people envision. Water vapor is a gas! Did you choke on that water you inhaled? It's there.... called R.H. (humidity).

Last edited by whitevette; 08-25-2008 at 03:11 PM..
Old 08-25-2008, 03:10 PM   #173 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well It doesnt seem burning Water is really a must for california Since were going through a drought period
Old 08-26-2008, 12:29 PM   #174 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro094 View Post

You can add platinum particles to your fuel and get it to burn much more completely, reducing emissions and increasing power. Problem is that platinum is terribly expensive. Hence the platinum plate in your converter - much cheaper than an ongoing gas additive.

I hear people say that 99% of the fuel is being burned in your engine, so there's no room for improvement, but I don't think that 99% is burning at the right time and place in the engine to all be applied as force against the piston, so there should be room for improvement to the actual combustion event itself.

I haven't seen any credible proof yet that the hyrdogen injection works, but the possiblilty certainly is there. I have watched while a guy ran an engine on straight water. The problem is that it won't start that way, and it won't operate under load. It just keeps it from stalling.

The argument of "if it worked, they'd be doing it" doesn't hold either. Most of what is being done is due to the narrowmindednes and inflexibility of the EPA, not for the purpose of saving fuel. All of our engines come with preset f/a mixture settings that minimize emissions,

I think we could all get about an instant 10% improvement in mileage just by reprogramming our computers or by altering O2 sensor output. We would just increase our emissions.
Hi, "Metro"!
In looking over the latest batch of postings, I came across yours (above). I'm responding (reacting? LOL) to some of these:
Platinum in the fuel? The converter is post-combustion ( no power here, platinum or otherwise) and platinum in the gas is a whole different kettle of fish ( combustion chemistry). Without discussing the merits (?) of this...let's just say " Bring lot$ of money!"
" 99% of the fuel is not burning at the right time." Correcto mundo! How few people see this properly. The speed of the flame front is so quick ( and the crank rotation is so small ) there is little advantage to having all the pressure event occur near the piston TDC. This is a small rod angle ( rod angularity translates to lever arm against the crank journal)... even though the flywheel energy storage helps to overcome this "downward push". There exists a definite need for "something" to slow the flame front... to spread this pressure increase over more of the rod's angle. This is exactly the reasoning behind my combustion modifier. Water VAPOR injection also achieves the same effect - and the results are dramatic ( Proof? Yeah, I have proof. My new ScanGauge tells all ... as did my old(er) SpaceKom analog MPG computer).
EPA is a bureaucratic nightmare ... too much power - and power corrupts, right? To have EPA test my concept(s) I merely need to come up with 30ish thousand dollars - IF I could convince "them" the idea was worth testing! I have been there, done this. I'm not going back. Even Congress can't change EPA's mind. Sad state of affairs.... But, be sure to vote! Right....
Straight water? No...water plus H2 is not straight water. It is a mix.
"Emissions" is the name of this game we are playing. Consumers of energy are merely pawns in a giant che$$ game. If "we" could just get the energy industries ( coal, oil, natural gas) to see anything beyond their balance sheet
mentality..."we" might save our future.
"We have met the enemy, and they is us." -Pogo

Last edited by whitevette; 08-26-2008 at 12:34 PM..
Old 08-26-2008, 03:22 PM   #175 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

whitevvete IM sorry to say my mom is a Chemical Engineer her dad a biochemist my two uncles MD's. If there was a reasonable interest in this theory on running on water they would have done alot more research into it. It's a dead theory thats been played out since the 70's

Last edited by Indianapolis500; 08-27-2008 at 02:18 AM..
Old 08-28-2008, 11:21 AM   #176 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianapolis500 View Post
whitevvete IM sorry to say my mom is a Chemical Engineer her dad a biochemist my two uncles MD's. If there was a reasonable interest in this theory on running on water they would have done alot more research into it. It's a dead theory thats been played out since the 70's
Interesting...you are judging my responses to a previous post...not my theories at all. In fact, I gave no theories. Hmmm.... I guess if man were meant to fly...he would have wings.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:18 PM   #177 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

No, I dont think men should take the brunt of this
Old 08-28-2008, 08:17 PM   #178 (permalink)
Luker De Jure

Geo Metroid - '92 Geo Metro
90 day: 48.16 mpg (US)

TheFord - '04 ford tarus ses
90 day: 23.76 mpg (US)

Blk 2door - '93 Geo Metro 2 door
90 day: 47.55 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to laserman56
Man did this get way off thread
Old 08-28-2008, 09:35 PM   #179 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Brown Bus - '98 GMC Sonoma X-Cab SLS
90 day: 31.37 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitevette View Post
" 99% of the fuel is not burning at the right time." Correcto mundo! How few people see this properly. The speed of the flame front is so quick ( and the crank rotation is so small ) there is little advantage to having all the pressure event occur near the piston TDC. This is a small rod angle ( rod angularity translates to lever arm against the crank journal)... even though the flywheel energy storage helps to overcome this "downward push". There exists a definite need for "something" to slow the flame front... to spread this pressure increase over more of the rod's angle.
Absolute and total made up imaginary BS. Every time someone with any bit of knowledge simply, easily, and quickly debunks this whole HHO sham, there comes out a new "theory" as to why it is beneficial and why the previous bit of scientific logic doesn't apply. First, it was that the combustion of hydrogen gives you energy. Then once that was proven to be a "perpetual motion" scam, it was alleged to be the "quality of combustion" that was enhanced. Then, as soon as it was suggested that complete combustion was achieved anyhow, now someone is saying that it beneficially delays the combustion event? Are you kidding me?

You absolutely want the combustion event to reach completion as close as TDC as possible. This is so that pressure will be maximized for the piston stroke at all possible points. The piston isn't moving quickly at this point, which gives you plenty of time to complete the combustion event. Delaying will give you the same pressure later, but reduce it early on. That's wasted work (pressure*change in volume) that you could have captured.

As long as the main event doesn't happen before TDC (knock) you're fine.

Yes, I took a two semester (six credit hour) course as a grad student on combustion analysis - specifically geared towards ICEs. I don't have that book handy right now, but whatev. Frickin salesmen making up science. It's as if they have stock in PVC pipe or something.

There's a guy over on the S-10 forums talking about how great of mileage he gets with HHO. His truck is ligher than mine, has 3.73 gears rather than 4.10s, fewer accessories, and a short cab. Same motor. Same trans. I was getting better mileage on a totally stock truck. He's spending his time gluing up PVC pipe and hacking his PCM electronics. I'm doing mods that actually work.

Last edited by johnmyster; 08-28-2008 at 09:40 PM..
Old 08-29-2008, 12:18 AM   #180 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Not quite billy bob, anything that alters timing can have mileage effects (positive or negative), acetone and all the aeromatics do indeed affect timing. On my 98 Buick lesabre 3.8 3oz per 10gal acetone greatly improves my low rpm fuel flow rate and subsuquent mileage, higher RPMS end up with poorer efficiency and mileage using acetone. I have been looking for someone to dyno for my own purposes but for now scanguage suffices. I am up 4mpg average over 60 days and I drive the same crappy way (yes I had the scanguage before acetone) And I have kept mileage records for 7 yrs.

The HHO combustion cycle has been lab tested to first implode briefly then explode relatively slowly compared to other materials. This is not for debate as folks who are testing pure hydrogen in motors (not related to HHO) are finding the timeing needs to be set just prior to the cyclinder coming all the way to the top to achieve higher efficiency.

As for why this HHO BS works its simple. The folks that get the gains are able to burn more leanly without the excessive heat production due to the additional water and its heat absorbing properties in the cylinder, much like water injection without water in your intake.

Are you going to tell me that burning more leanly doesn't improve mileage?

Those that are really into HHO for engine leaning are being done a disservice by all the ideotic claims made in imagination land by scam artists trying to sell ebooks with public info that is normally free. Many have done real tests on their motors and HHO DOES decrease manifold temperatures in lean run conditions to a point; past that point she gets real hot real fast. The amount of HHO and timing are critical in determining how far you can safely go on a given motor.

I have a feeling you have never actually used or setup an HHO system. If you get one of the more efficient bubblers with a pulser circuit to drive the cell and size it appropriately to your engine using proper KOH electrolite then procede to lean the engine paying attention to manifold temperatures and obviously how the engine runs (a rough running engine is as bad as it sounds)
You will see a MPG improvement. How much depends on how much you are willing to risk there are some that drastically change their timing lean the crap out of it and have a limp biscuit that gets great mileage but hardly accelerates. (There is a Church group helping people to install HHO systems in their cars and trucks out in Lacross just to give you an idea how far this thing is spreading.)

You talk about anyone with any basic knowledge, I would think you can understand the above, there is no mystery to it. People love to exaggerate but it has been driven to ad nauseum. All workable HHO systems are just systems to allow you to more safely lean your engine, this IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE! Also the manifold temps with and without HHO are easy to measure that is also not rocket science.

Build one that is efficient use one of the pulsing circuits to drive it use any of the freely available guides on the internet to determine what flow rate you need for your engine, put in a tuning circuit to lean your engine, add a little acetone to improve ignition and then report back.

If you can't get a MPG increase by leaning your engine I would think you some type of fool.

Now if you want to argue that leaning might be dangerous, shorten engine life, cause engine damage, reduce performance I would listen and believe you.

Those concerns are ones we are all waiting for the few that are really involved to determine. And until someone puts 100k miles plus on something using one of these systems (or fails to do so, more likely on the more hard core setups) we won't really know the real effects of one of the so called safer systems setup with lower manifold temps.

Do I believe aeromods are a waste, a resounding NO! They are more important than HHO and more effective usually. Do I believe HHO is a waste? That would be Depends, because there is so much miss information floating around unless you understand what you are trying to accomplish HHO can be a great experiment or a horrible lesson with welded pistons. But done correctly engine leaning with HHO does obviously work and you do not need to change how your vehicle looks on the outside though the gains are usually low (5%-20% diesel/gas) without extreme effort and risk, time and modification.

If you don't open your eyes and mind you will miss the most obvious things because someone who knows better than you leads you the wrong way.

Good Luck to all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmyster View Post
Absolute and total made up imaginary BS. Every time someone with any bit of knowledge simply, easily, and quickly debunks this whole HHO sham, there comes out a new "theory" as to why it is beneficial and why the previous bit of scientific logic doesn't apply. First, it was that the combustion of hydrogen gives you energy. Then once that was proven to be a "perpetual motion" scam, it was alleged to be the "quality of combustion" that was enhanced. Then, as soon as it was suggested that complete combustion was achieved anyhow, now someone is saying that it beneficially delays the combustion event? Are you kidding me?

You absolutely want the combustion event to reach completion as close as TDC as possible. This is so that pressure will be maximized for the piston stroke at all possible points. The piston isn't moving quickly at this point, which gives you plenty of time to complete the combustion event. Delaying will give you the same pressure later, but reduce it early on. That's wasted work (pressure*change in volume) that you could have captured.

As long as the main event doesn't happen before TDC (knock) you're fine.

Yes, I took a two semester (six credit hour) course as a grad student on combustion analysis - specifically geared towards ICEs. I don't have that book handy right now, but whatev. Frickin salesmen making up science. It's as if they have stock in PVC pipe or something.

There's a guy over on the S-10 forums talking about how great of mileage he gets with HHO. His truck is ligher than mine, has 3.73 gears rather than 4.10s, fewer accessories, and a short cab. Same motor. Same trans. I was getting better mileage on a totally stock truck. He's spending his time gluing up PVC pipe and hacking his PCM electronics. I'm doing mods that actually work.

Reply  Post New Thread