Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 07:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Dub love - '05 Volkswagen GTI 1.8t
90 day: 32.43 mpg (US)

subi-ru - '99 Subaru legacy outback
90 day: 23.47 mpg (US)

purple probe - '97 ford probe se
90 day: 24.27 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to dancing blunts
I can see the safety hazard of going 50mph in a 65mph zone if there are people whizzing past going 70+ durring rush hour. as ive started hypermiling ive thought to my self if driving to slow is a reasonable reason to get pulled over. of course i just find myself accellerating as slow as i can, but i still try to go around the speed limit. if there wasn't anyone around or no heavy traffic i would be aggrivated myself to get pulled over.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-25-2008, 07:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
NES Collector

Tom Baker - '03 Toyota Echo
90 day: 44.53 mpg (US)

Big Blue - '03 Dodge Caravan 2WD
90 day: 20.85 mpg (US)
Ok so after consulting my lawyer (ie looking at SVOBoy's link) if there was no posted min. limit they could give him a ticker for going 5mi under the min non-posted limit. I guess if were going to a hypermiling fest we better read up on all the min-max speed limit laws for each state were going to be going through. United Phhhhhhhhhhh.

Miles Displaced By
Walking = 3.6
Old 06-25-2008, 07:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
British Ecomod Hypermiler

The AXe - SOLD - '97 Citroen Citroen AX 1.1i 5 Door
90 day: 46.78 mpg (US)

Foci - '03 Ford Ford Focus Tdci Ghia Estate
90 day: 64.37 mpg (US)
I guess its difficult for you guys in the US as you don't have the lane specific requirements we have here in the UK. Our first lane (inside lane) is the main lane, and the other two (or sometimes more) lanes are for overtaking. So I can quite safely sit in the inside lane at 55 as cars will pass me in the middle lane, and faster cars pass them in the outside lane. So I can be at 55 while others are 90+

Old 06-25-2008, 07:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by echomodder View Post
Ok so after consulting my lawyer (ie looking at SVOBoy's link) if there was no posted min. limit they could give him a ticker for going 5mi under the min non-posted limit. I guess if were going to a hypermiling fest we better read up on all the min-max speed limit laws for each state were going to be going through. United Phhhhhhhhhhh.
Probably a good idea. Perhaps my reaction is a little strong, but I think I should contextualize.

There's lots of negative press, and negativity surrounding hypermiling right now. Even when people get on TV and do very moderate stuff I've talked to people (in real life) who tell me they think it's ridiculous or unlawful or dangerous. When I was doing a radio interview this morning I was asked about the "Craziest" thing hypermilers do, because a lot of the press has turned into a zoo-like "look at this nutjob" type thing, and that's really difficult to counteract.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Probably a good idea. Perhaps my reaction is a little strong, but I think I should contextualize.

There's lots of negative press, and negativity surrounding hypermiling right now. Even when people get on TV and do very moderate stuff I've talked to people (in real life) who tell me they think it's ridiculous or unlawful or dangerous. When I was doing a radio interview this morning I was asked about the "Craziest" thing hypermilers do, because a lot of the press has turned into a zoo-like "look at this nutjob" type thing, and that's really difficult to counteract.
Why don't you start a thread on that interview and the zoo like atmosphere. It would be interesting. That's why I'm a eco-driver and not a hypermiler.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
NES Collector

I know but in my pre-hypermiling days (I've only been doing this since gas hit $3.50) I would go by a cop on side of the highway doing 80mph ALL THE TIME. I can't Count the # of times I've done this. Times were I was going with the flow of traffic and times were I was the only car in the fast lane. Not once NOT ONCE was I EVER pulled over for doing 80mph. I've been pulled over for going above 80 (88, 84, and 85) but the cops don't even look at you if your going 75-80. I't doesn't seem fair. If you want to go fast pay attention and GO AROUND ME!!!!!!!!!!

Miles Displaced By
Walking = 3.6
Old 06-25-2008, 08:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Team Honda
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
It's definitely not far, but as long as the law includes words like "normal" and 75-80 is normal, the one going 50 is going to be punished, . I personally advocate a move back to a national 55 mph limit.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
NES Collector

I agree we should go back to 55mph.

Miles Displaced By
Walking = 3.6
Old 06-25-2008, 08:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Team Honda
Let's turn our efforts into lobbying for it,
Old 06-25-2008, 08:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
EP3
EcoModding Lurker

02WhiteEp3 - '02 Honda Civic Si
90 day: 28.35 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to EP3
You know what I am a Firefighter in NC and when we have to block lanes on the highway sometimes I40 mostly. The Cops hate this and try to get us to move our trucks even though this is our "scene". We have a bubble we try to protect. Not only for the victims but for us and the Cops..."Safety zone" around crashe is what it is called check out this video This is a video of this. This Cop tells the Engineer or the driver that he has got to move his truck. The Captain or the guy in the T-shirt and pants. He is in charge of this crew. He tells the Eng. Not to move the truck. So the Cpt and the Officer agrue and the Cops arrest the Cpt. Let it be known the Cop was fined and I think given some days off. Sorry but some Cops think they are gods sometimes. Understand my Dad was a Cop, my Cousin, and I have a few friends who are still Cops. Now firefighters are cocky too at times.

If you are a cop or have love ones who are I am not sorry for my comments but let it be known I still respect Cops for what they do. This is just a bad Cop of the few out there. State Troopers are sometimes wrost. I think this is why he was so hard on him it was a State Trooper.

In my job I see a lot of crashes 99% of them are do to HIGHER THAN NORMAL SPEED. 50 in a 65 is not stupid. Now going 50 in a zone that is marked 65 where people drive 85 should not be the driver fault who is going 50. If he was blocking lanes of traffic or if it was on a 2 lane Highway..one going one direction and the other going the opposite then yeah he should go atleast 60-65 in my oppion.

Also no one should argue with the cop or be a smartie. This will get you know where and in some states can get you arrested, or more fines. Argue in court or have your lawyer argue even better for you.

Ahhh I feel better now. =)