Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2008, 10:54 PM   #71 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
2 lanes each direction.
i was in the right lane with a dupure oil truck following me (not unreasonably close).

like i said second time i've been pulled over for driving to slow second time i heard the same thing.

i was thinking that he was going to tell me something about my german front plate (no front plate in louisiana) but he didn't.

car is fairly clean, no tint, looks stock, just lowered but not very obvious unless next to another golf..

i was actually secretly hoping that he would write me a ticket for driving to slowly so i could make the news.

i'm going to go see my le friends soon and see if i can find the law/ any law regarding minimum speed.

we did have 45mph min signs up till a year ago, but they have since pulled them down.

the way i figue it is that this just adds another dimension to fe.

this tank already sucks; i'm having one heck of a time keeping my foot out of it with the new nozzles. and i just have to soot tailgators now, works great to make them back off/ pay attention. i'm guessing it will be about a 53~54 mpg tank.

Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-09-2008, 10:56 PM   #72 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Enough with the left lane stuff mark, that is just stupid to assume most folks here are like your boss.

dre, looks like 60 legal to me for unposted minimum on a hiway, any less than that and you have to legally be in the right lane, but there is no lower limit that I can see. Might want to talk to someones supervisor.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...oc/laspeed.pdf

Minimum Speed Limit:
I. No person shall operate a motor vehicle at a such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic. '32:64(B)
II. A person, who is operating a motor vehicle on a multilane highway at less than the normal speed of traffic, shall drive in the right-hand lane then available for traffic. '32:71(B)(1)
III. A person, who is operating a motor vehicle on a multilane highway at a speed slower than 10 MPH than the posted speed limit, shall drive in the right hand lane than available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right hand curb or edge of the roadway. '32:71(B)(2)
Posted (Minimum) Speed Limit: Base on engineering and traffic investigations, the State may establish a minimum speed limit on any highway. '32:63(B)
Old 07-09-2008, 10:56 PM   #73 (permalink)
EcoModding Newbie

RSX - '02 Acura RSX base
90 day: 37.87 mpg (US)
I agree with going back to 55mph how would we go about lobbying for it?
Old 07-09-2008, 11:06 PM   #74 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx2002 View Post

It's a nice thought but it will never happen. People just don't want it. Here's a poll that ask if you would drive 55 to save gas. 80% say no. Just google "will you drive 55 polls" and you'll find bunch of them all saying pretty much the same thing.

The general populas just wants someone to fix it and not have to put any effort into it.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:20 AM   #75 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Enough with the left lane stuff mark, that is just stupid to assume most folks here are like your boss.
It wasn't my boss that got the ticket. It was a coworker. I don't know about that, but on one thread a guy was doing 27 in a 50 on a 2 lane and was smug that he was getting 41mpg while almost getting run over. I'm all about getting good mileage, but if you hypermile do it in a safe manner.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:28 AM   #76 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx2002 View Post
You don't. You do what you're going to do, and you let others do what they're going to do. If you want a prius, or to go full aero on your car, or ride a bike, do it. If someone else wants to drive the SUV and can afford it, then more power to them. I'll ride a bike, or commute in my Civic. However I do have an RV and a Jeep, which on occasion I use, but they're toys. It's already getting bad enough with all this carbon footprint BS, it's like living in the mid to late 70's again, no thanks. People will figure out that a smaller car is cheaper on the pocketbook, and that if they change their driving habits they'll get better economy. I'm already seeing a gradual decrease in the average speed on the local San Diego freeways. Government mandates and new laws are the last thing we need. Heck, I can TEXT legally on my cell phone, but I can't hold it to my ear while driving in CA. The only thing government is good at is screwing things up.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:53 AM   #77 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
I gotta call troll on that, probably shoulda called it 8 posts ago. Yah, that guy who slams on the breaks in his power wagon is probably hypermiling, LOL! He isn't trying to just be a total jerk or anything with his oversized car riding a bumper and honking
Old 10-10-2009, 03:00 AM   #78 (permalink)
Ecodriver

Auto. 2007 Yaris - '07 Toyota Yaris
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.31 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
It is a cultural thing but not universal for all americans.

Sadly though most spend all their lives hurrying to get absolutely NO WHERE.

People make a schedual to follow in the US, go to a fair for enjoyment and need to race through to be done in an hour so they can be on schedual to eat or whatever it is they figure they need to do. Wittle their pathetic lives on a demanding schedual that is more or less filled with meaningless activities that must be done (or so they think)

A lot of people are in a hurry to get through something to go home and watch TV.

Most folks mentality in the US burns my ass and I was born here and lived here all my life, people need to learn to sit back and relax, you really don't need to be at X so badly at a certain time.

My oppinion
I completely agree with you. In the US (and especially in the northeast, where I'm from), the mentality is "I have to get there now now now!" Everyone's schedule is jam-packed with not enough transit time allotted, everyone wants instant gratification, they know they can get away with going 10 mph over the limit, and they think they're invincible. I'm 26, and I routinely get passed by a hundred vehicles a day on a highway with two lanes each way, even though I'm going the speed limit of 65. It's not uncommon for people to fly by me like I'm standing still, and then you get the jackasses in trucks who don't even have time to whip you the bird, cause they're too busy cutting you off. What's the point of cutting me off? Is it to send me some kind of signal, like maybe I should drive faster? I'm sorry, I'm driving the speed limit for a reason. Heck, I'd drive slower if I wasn't afraid that those idiots would rear-end me, due to their attention span being measured in microseconds.

Some people I talk to about this problem defend the speeders, saying stuff like, "Well, people have places to be!" Okay, that's a valid point, but they should have the willpower to either (a) leave earlier, or (b) accept the fact that they're going to be late and face the consequences. Otherwise, these people need to cut something out of their schedules or move closer to the places they go and the services they use. When I start making enough money to buy a house, I'm buying one in a city with good public transit, so I no longer have to deal with the idiots on the road unless I'm walking across a street. I'll just walk or ride a bike, and I won't have to worry about gas mileage ever again. Better yet, maybe by that time there will be a car-free city in the US. Then again, I won't hold my breath for that, as our states are perpetually in debt and probably couldn't afford to help build a new city, let alone maintain the current ones.

"Know your rights..... all three of 'em!"
Old 10-10-2009, 03:52 AM   #79 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
One nice side effect I've found from driving 55 everywhere: if I get a late start, I can bump it up to 65 or 70 to make up time and still be legal!

Old 10-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #80 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Wow, quite a thread revival here...

Anyway, I do agree with SVOBoy's philosophy in the first post, prioritizing safety, courtesy and fuel economy in that order. In Pennsylvania, the law states that the minimum speed in limited access highways is 15 MPH under the max posted speed limit (below that, flashers must be used.)

Also, I hope that MD trooper is as zealous about handing out warnings and tickets to people changing lanes without signaling, or cruising in the left lane when they're not passing someone.

Reply  Post New Thread