Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevyn View Post
The inherent problem in this is the catch-22 of using gas.

Hypermilers try to stretch every gallon to the max mileage, for whatever reason.

Hypermilers save gas.

Racing from one point to another just to race is a waste of gas.

That's where the problem comes in.
For some it's to get the best gas mileage, regardless of how much gas they use in the process. For example, when Ford was doing it's contest on the Ford Fusion Hybrid, it started with fresh tires. This made Wayne Gerdes upset because fresh tires are bad, so he had someone drive the car around a circular track for thousands of miles to break the tires in, wasting huge amounts of gas. Or so someone within Ford told me.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
For some it's to get the best gas mileage, regardless of how much gas they use in the process. For example, when Ford was doing it's contest on the Ford Fusion Hybrid, it started with fresh tires. This made Wayne Gerdes upset because fresh tires are bad, so he had someone drive the car around a circular track for thousands of miles to break the tires in, wasting huge amounts of gas. Or so someone within Ford told me.
That can't be serious!?! Just shave them...

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 07-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Team Honda
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
I don't even remember who I was talking to, but it was at hybridfest where ford had the car and was making a big deal about it. They said something about fresh tires, I said something like "why didn't they just get some bald ones from the junkyard" and the reply was that they put the car on an oval track for "tens of thousands of miles" or some mind-bogglingly high number I couldn't believe at the time.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Neon - '95 Dodge Neon
Last 3: 49.46 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doviatt View Post
I think the race is here (ecomodder) on the top ten list. The cash prize is the money you have saved.
How exciting is that?

Pretty exciting. It sharpens your mind because there is more to do. I love coasting as I go fast. I win at the pump. The personal satisfaction and discipline of racing slow to save gas. It not easy when you have driven the highways at 100+ MPH in the past. It brings new life to driving and that's exciting. It's a challenge and I love it!
Old 07-28-2009, 07:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgd73 View Post
that would be fun, I have thought of it.

a maine to western alaska hypermiler rally...quickest time, least fuel. its only 4500 miles or so. my old sube made it once. I think it could do it again. its not just about fuel mileage....
There is a FIA and CARS sanctioned rallye just like that in the province of Quebec. Sadly, the only vehicles qualifying under their rules are recent gasoline hybrids. Plus, it's not cheap to get in.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 07-28-2009, 08:48 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Seeker

red - '02 Honda Insight
I have spent tens of thousands of dollars trying to create long distance hypermiling events, but unfortunately it has ended up being a case of right idea, wrong time.

I am still very interested in creating events based on stretching fuel economy and would be willing to help find financial backing for it as long is there is commitment from actual competitors.

There would need to be entrant fees to help cover the cost of any cash prizes for the teams as well as associated costs (advertising, insurance, monitoring equipment, staff, etc). If it is a multi-day event you would be responsible for getting to/from the event as well as your own fuel, lodging, food etc. (With the exception of the occasional sponsored meal.)

The competition would be similar to the Hybridfest MPG Challenge events which we have been having for the last four years.

In most cases there would a time limit on each segment of the event to rule out excessively slow driving.

I have partners who re very good at creating and running these kinds of events, the key to it all is actual funding.

How much are people willing to pay to compete in this kind of event?
Madison, Wisconsin
www.evpowers.com
Old 07-28-2009, 09:03 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Neon - '95 Dodge Neon
Last 3: 49.46 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbecky View Post

How much are people willing to pay to compete in this kind of event?
Pay? lol. These are people saving money not spending it. You could have taken the money you have spent trying to do this and create a fund to pay drivers to show up by covering there expenses. That will be a problem. Another option would be start small local races and grow it to a larger race. Now what would really make sense and make you money would be electric car races that is the future.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chug - '96 Volkswagon Polo CL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.42 mpg (US)

L'Autre - '03 Renault Megane Sport Tourer Expression
Diesel
90 day: 45.02 mpg (US)
I think the ECO movement needs a blue-ribbon event and competition always improve the breed/tech

twitter.com/bertchalmers
Old 07-28-2009, 09:36 AM   #19 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidethebox View Post
Pay? lol. These are people saving money not spending it. You could have taken the money you have spent trying to do this and create a fund to pay drivers to show up by covering there expenses. That will be a problem. Another option would be start small local races and grow it to a larger race. Now what would really make sense and make you money would be electric car races that is the future.
In any sport it is pay to play, so it's not like it is unreasonable to pay to have to do it, but you obviously don't understand the kind of planning that goes into these sorts of things. It's like normal car racing, after all, but harder in certain respects. If you don't want to pay you can find sponsorship, this is how NASCAR etc works
Old 07-28-2009, 09:51 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Seeker

red - '02 Honda Insight
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidethebox View Post
Pay? lol.
To see you "laughing out loud" is a little disheartening.

To organize any event costs someone, somewhere time and money.
For example, Johnny Mullet and the guys organizing Geopalooza spent a lot of time and effort putting a great event. Scoping out a venue, renting the pavilion, getting food and drinks, making maps, finding campsites, finding hotel options, keeping track of who's attending, taking pictures, uploading pictures, posting on forums,etc, etc, etc.

Although much of the time and labor comes from unpaid volunteers (THANK YOU VOLUNTEERS!), there are real expenses that need to get paid and most organizer(s) probably can't afford to bear the full burden of the costs.

And the issues and costs get larger if it is open to the public. I would think we would want this event to be known to the public so that the word gets out about it.

What's the use in having an event if no one knows about it? (publicity. flyers, ads in newspapers, mailings, postage, posting on internet, press releases, media invitations.)
What about clearing the route with affected townships/authorities (permit costs, event insurance.)
What happens if someone in the competition harms a bystander? (insurance, emergency staff)
Where will the money for prizes come from? (entry fees, sponsors)
Who will help raise the money? (sponsorship acquisition time and effort, donation acquisition time and effort)
How will the communication happen between drivers and event organizers on the road if needed? (cell phone costs, communication equipment cost)
What about emergency/security?
How will the volunteers who organize the event get fed? (Food costs)
Are there some kind of recognition that people get for participating? ie, T-shirts, dash plaques, paper certificates, cash, awards? (all these items costs real money)
If it is a multi-day event, who will coordinate the lodging?

I am all for local and regional events of this nature.
I am also very knowledgeable about what it takes to do one safely, legally and still make it a lot of fun for participants and spectators. I also have partners who are very good at these kinds of events.

I am more than happy to donate a large part of my time and effort, not because I can afford to, but because I believe strongly in the idea.

Let's keep this conversation going.

Madison, Wisconsin
www.evpowers.com

Last edited by ericbecky; 07-28-2009 at 09:56 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread