Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2009, 09:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
PaleMelanesian's Disciple

City - '04 Honda City iDSI EXi
90 day: 47.47 mpg (US)
Hypermiling Syndrome

Hi,

I got my first hypermiling refill today - did about 42+ mpg on my 1.5L/5MT honda city sedan.
My usual is ~35 mpg. Was mighty pleased. On the way back, encountered city traffic, and was cursing myself for choosing this route instead of a longer, but mostly free and better maintained route. Slowly it dawned on me that I was getting taken over by Hypermiling Syndrome (HS).

HS is a condition where one -
1. has a misplaced sense of loss/gain (does not worry about resultant savings, but getting a higher figure on the MPG display)
Explanation: I was taking a shorter route, so even with somewhat muddy MPG figures, my effective expenditure on gas would be less. But I was not bothered about that at that point of time - I was sad that I could not get a higher MPG because of the crowded route.
2. has mood swings tied to road conditions and ones reactions to them (Road rage is replaced by a more sinister, deeper rage about ones own lack of attention, about drivers around being apathetic towards one's (unstated) hypermiling goal and being a******s in general)
3. has thoughts drifting to the next mod while discussing a totally unrelated topic at work or home.
4. does not think about the resale value of the car while thinking of mods. Mods thought could even make a resale impractical/impossible (like boat-tailing)

Could think of more, but I want to know if anyone else had this feeling when starting on hypermiling? How did you pull yourself out from getting totally sucked in the whirl?

Also can you put in more points if you can think of any?

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModdingNewby

Send a message via AIM to dogbreath
How did you pull yourself out from getting totally sucked in the whirl?

Don't fight it, give in to the forces that are beyond your control..........
Old 01-04-2009, 12:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Eco-Fit - '13 Honda Fit Base
90 day: 37.06 mpg (US)
Yes.....Come over to the Dark Side.....Name:  firedevil.gif
Views: 137
Size:  14.2 KB

Old 01-04-2009, 12:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
I agree .. either, hypermile to the limits of the unmodified vehicle your drive, or jump both feet in and go balls out nuts to achieve the maximum mpg's your imagination can produce, car values be dammed.

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 01-08-2009, 01:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
I was sucked in 3 years ago when I knew I needed to change my driving style for safety. "Maniac behind the wheel" was an understatement.

The interest in efficiency morphed into Ecomodding, and thus, here we are. With a older car, paid off, with around 100K miles, I knew that resale wasn't a concern, but longevity had always been. Chosen mods took this into concern.

The bottom line became overall consumption and emissions. That final FE number means zilch if you have to use more fuel to attain it. So, the car stays parked, and I either stay at home or walk. Planning trips is important, and the route that consumes the least fuel is paramount, regardless of FE.

Anyways, welcome to a powerful, yet honest addiction. And by all means, enjoy the experience.

RH77

_
_
Old 07-27-2009, 09:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Neon - '95 Dodge Neon
Last 3: 49.46 mpg (US)
FREE MPG! I would yell as I coasted down a mountain with the engine off. FREE MPG! I would yell as I coasted down a mile incline. After a few weeks my wife started to give me dirty looks when I would yell FREE MPG! I don't yell every time now, and my wife still gives me dirty looks when I do yell. But when you get FREE MPG! I can't help but show some joy by yelling FREE MPG! and it rhymes. lol.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
hypermiling syndrome