Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2020, 09:57 AM   #41 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Logic dictates that electric vehicle owners will have to pay their fair share of road construction, upkeep and repairs that they utilize. This also applies to the heavy investments in electric system generation, transmission and distribution equipment that will be needed if electric vehicles eventually take a significant portion of the transportation market.

No free lunches, despite what a politician might tell us.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-22-2020, 10:02 AM   #42 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
The fact that some 48-volt alternator-starters fitted to modern BAS-Hybrid vehicles having more torque than mid-size Euro cars such as the Opel Vectra A used to have about 30 years ago, and across a broader peak torque RPM, is also noticeable.

Even though EVs are not really my cup of tea, I believe it's not rocket-science to provide a more affordable approach for those who are comfortable enough to get rid of the ICE.
The Prius Prime has a one way clutch to the gasser.

In my mind the Honda IMA concept could be wound to any voltage and shouldn’t be more expensive than a starter+alternator on a standard car.

Using the Primes antique one way clutch (that allows for EV or gas operations by clutching in or out)

You would think the IMA+ one way clutch could be the most easily implemented at the factory of them all and provide silent EV operation or even manual transmission EV operation, unfortunate they never went the next step further

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorGray View Post
Logic dictates that electric vehicle owners will have to pay their fair share of road construction, upkeep and repairs that they utilize. This also applies to the heavy investments in electric system generation, transmission and distribution equipment that will be needed if electric vehicles eventually take a significant portion of the transportation market.

No free lunches, despite what a politician might tell us.
My Honda Insight uses $200 of gas a year, why would a BEV that is more effectient pay more road taxes than my car uses in fuel annually when a BEV already pays 30% tax on the electric bill anyway?

If BEVs were to become the only vehicle and further if the trend is for few
people to own a car at all and just rideshare
registration fees will become meaningless/ineffective
and should be eliminated on individuals altogether and replaced by simply manipulating the
Municipal Substation Taxes that are already stealthily charged to the utility on every kwhr produced in the country anyway.

The cost of collecting annual plate fees is already very high and many poorer people simply don’t pay for plates when they get expensive, my uncle ran without plates for at least 10 years because “it was too expensive “

Last edited by rmay635703; 05-22-2020 at 10:12 AM..
Old 05-22-2020, 10:52 AM   #43 (permalink)
EcoModding Newb

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 25.55 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 23.74 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,076 Times in 2,288 Posts
I don't really think "Big Oil" has much lobbying against EVs. Personal transportation is something like 19% of fossil fuel use, and every single facet of our life depends on fossil fuels, so there's no need to destroy the 2% market share of EVs by bribing politicians to raise registration fees.

Probably enough people expressed dissatisfaction that fuel efficient vehicles don't pay "their fair share" of the road taxes, and the politicians responded. That's how politics works; the politician either successfully manipulates public opinion, or must succumb to it.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 07:57 PM   #44 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
In my mind the Honda IMA concept could be wound to any voltage and shouldnít be more expensive than a starter+alternator on a standard car.
Maybe a similar approach could be tried even in a motorcycle.

Quote:
You would think the IMA+ one way clutch could be the most easily implemented at the factory of them all
The "pancake" motors fitted to some hybrid trucks and buses are somewhat similar to an oversized IMA.

Quote:
and provide silent EV operation or even manual transmission EV operation, unfortunate they never went the next step further
Seems like the only automaker that used to believe it was worth the effort to manage the transition from EV to combined power while keeping the manual transmission instead of going automatic-only was Honda.

Quote:
My Honda Insight uses $200 of gas a year, why would a BEV that is more effectient pay more road taxes than my car uses in fuel annually when a BEV already pays 30% tax on the electric bill anyway?
That's a good point.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:29 PM   #45 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 5,286 Times in 4,210 Posts
I was in line at a drive-up window today behind a Forester PZEV. It had a little green leaf in the V, so when I got home I looked it up. Boxer 2.4, CVT and an electric motor/battery pack.

http://www.moto123.com/ArtImages/987...-pzev-i002.jpg

Old 05-23-2020, 12:08 AM   #46 (permalink)
Growin a stash

EVs will get a whole lot more competitive at Tesla's battery day, I think. In June

2015 Nissan Leaf S, 164 mpge
Old 05-23-2020, 12:35 AM   #47 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)

Dieselgate - '14 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
90 day: 38.24 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I was in line at a drive-up window today behind a Forester PZEV. It had a little green leaf in the V, so when I got home I looked it up. Boxer 2.4, CVT and an electric motor/battery pack.]
Evaporative emissions add up. Plenty of old vehicles leak more hydrocarbons in a day of sitting idle than a modern car creates driving. Motorcycles have particularly bad evaporative emissions - even new ones.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:18 AM   #48 (permalink)
EV convert

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 134.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,845 Times in 2,228 Posts
Diesel barely has any evap emissions.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:07 AM   #49 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)

Dieselgate - '14 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
90 day: 38.24 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Diesel barely has any evap emissions.
True which is why they have much simpler evap systems. (If any). I donít know about cars but 2020 model heavy duty trucks donít have any controls. Just a vent on top of the tank to allow pressure to equalize.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:20 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 5,286 Times in 4,210 Posts
Quote:
Evaporative emissions add up.
I was sitting behind it in a Superbeetle that when you go around corners with a full tank, you can smell gas.

...and I need to recharge the charcoal canister.