Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #71 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
We like the moon......
According to your other posts (I won't quote you back to yourself) you were out chatting up college age girls.

IMHO the (never completed?) Renaissance project is backward too. Pragmatically, it consumes orphaned Prius drivetrains and [maybe] improves the mileage of the donor vehicle; but the interesting question to me is: What would you put into the Insight that would improve *it's* mileage. I'm thinking pure electric with supercar performance and 'instant' charge times because of the nano-scale fractal Lichtenberg-figure anodes in the next-gen batteries.

What did you think of the Scuderi Split Cycle engine? A custom crankshaft and camshaft[s] in the stock inline-4?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #72 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
According to your other posts (I won't quote you back to yourself) you were out chatting up college age girls.
Yes... Time and place, right?

I found a room to rent five blocks from the building where I have all of my classes--I am currently eight miles away, so I usually spend an hour trying to study on the bus, before walking five or six blocks from the light rail station. When I am running late, I need to drive to the light rail station, plus the room is $270 less a month than my apartment.

One of my new roommates mentioned guys that never graduate just because of co-eds.

Heh. They stay in school on purpose! Getting distracted and failing happens all of the time!

Oh, right...

Quote:
IMHO the (never completed?) Renaissance project is backward too. Pragmatically, it consumes orphaned Prius drivetrains and [maybe] improves the mileage of the donor vehicle; but the interesting question to me is: What would you put into the Insight that would improve *it's* mileage. I'm thinking pure electric with supercar performance and 'instant' charge times because of the nano-scale fractal Lichtenberg-figure anodes in the next-gen batteries.

What did you think of the Scuderi Split Cycle engine? A custom crankshaft and camshaft[s] in the stock inline-4?
Thank you for linking that, I had seen a few references, but had not actually read anything about it. It definitely looks interesting! I tried reading the data, but it was over my head, I wanted to see qualitative differences from standard.

Regarding the transplant, I wondered why he did not just get himself an Insight.

Anyone?

I was thinking that it would be awesome with the full Basjoos treatment, but then, wouldn't an Insight be even better?

I think that the Insight and Prius showed a great deal of innovation, but for Toyota, I think that subsequent improvements have been modest, and Honda discontinued the Insight to come back with a Prius clone?
Old 05-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #73 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Never graduate? Ya gotta have priorities.

I think Insight and Prius both use aero to improve the shine on their hybrid drivetrain; which suggests transplanting it out into anything else isn't moving forward.

I like Scuderi's work. They appear to be a company run by original inventor's progeny, that is better at spending investment money than showing a running example. I'll have to look closer; their Performance pdf is new to me.

I think their proprietary VR4 staggered displacement block is inferior to an aircooled flat-4 boxer. At least for development purposes. It looks to me like all that's needed is a custom crankshaft and camshaft. Equal displacement and intercoolers with no turbo = shorter development (of you one-off, unsalable personal mad potting-shed science). In round numbers, they quote diesel performance and 1/8th the NOx because combustion temps are low. The compressed air hybrid is major. Recharge at home from a compressor powered by a windmill. You've just gone off off-grid.

Why didn't he get an Insight. Because Mt. Everest is there. Er...
Old 05-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #74 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
IMHO the (never completed?) Renaissance project [...]
Quote:
Never graduate? Ya gotta have priorities.
A classmate gave me a study guide for my last final. Having taken the second-to-last test, I have been trying to go through that, specifically making something that I could put on my Nook and review in my car or something.

Hopefully, there are not too many distractions when I face a brick wall.

I tend to think of it as a bad habit, although I am not entirely sure, but I tend to keep dozens of tabs open. Non-computer people say all kinds of things about it. Whatever. I periodically look through them at things that I can close and I saw that "Renaissance" thread. I was on page five of sixty-two and had you not told me how it didn't end, I probably would have read some more.

I get in trouble because I think that I can read quickly, so I have time to read a few pages.

Thank you for mentioning that it has not been completed.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:48 AM   #75 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
I was just thinking of this the other day. The one thing the prius lacks is the fun factor. I would put prius guts in a scion(toyota) fr-s.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:49 AM   #76 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
I was just thinking of this the other day. The one thing the prius lacks is the fun factor. I would put prius guts in a scion(toyota) fr-s.
Maybe drop the atkinson engine and use a regular 1.8 or even a larger 4.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:59 AM   #77 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Saw my first step granddaughter's college tuition costs.

$25,000 per year.

You can bet, if she starts lagging around wasting time, she'll probably be in the military next.

regards
mech
Old 09-14-2015, 02:43 PM   #78 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Probably already mentioned, but I would put a Prius engine in a Prius. The car is a different kind of fun. Also, I don't know why people complain so much about the handling. I'm never the slow one going around a corner, and it's handled emergency swerve maneuvers just fine. The handling is certainly no worse than a Camry, Outback, or most any other standard sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I tend to think of it as a bad habit, although I am not entirely sure, but I tend to keep dozens of tabs open.
I accumulate tabs when I find something else interesting that I want to study later, which then leads me to something else I want to study later. It starts with a forum topic about what octane to run in an engine, so wanting to know more, I end up opening a few tabs on the subject of octane. Before I know it, I'm neck deep into organic chemistry wondering how I willingly ventured to a place most people would gladly avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Saw my first step granddaughter's college tuition costs.

$25,000 per year.

You can bet, if she starts lagging around wasting time, she'll probably be in the military next.

regards
mech
My wife's graduate program is costing me $10k every 3 months, and on top of that she's renting an apartment closer to school. I wonder if I can send her to the Army if she starts slacking?

I denied financial aid since the loans were unsubsidized and at about 7% interest. If funds get tight I'll take out a HELOC on the house, which currently has a much lower interest rate along with tax and legal advantages.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 09-14-2015, 03:53 PM   #79 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
Maybe drop the atkinson engine and use a regular 1.8 or even a larger 4.
Then it would make more sense to just use the setup of a Camry hybrid, as it's roughly a beefed-up version of the HSD. Well, maybe that could work out O.K. for a Ram ProMaster 1500.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:27 PM   #80 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907

Would you like to know more?

Reply  Post New Thread